• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

*****THE BILLS THREAD*****

Bills fans. Any chance we see Tavaris starting over Fitz at some point this fall?

Kyle Williams actually played decent on the D line despite his stats not really showing it. He was double teamed most of the game and several times he still pushed both blockers into the pocket and disrupted the running and passing game. A big problem for the D line overall, though, was the CBs playing off and sanchez just hitting the quick short reads. Can't get pressure on the QB if he only holds the ball for 2-3 seconds.

As for Tavaris, I don't think we'll see him start. He's really not any better than Fitz and Fitz has a bigger upside. Although, Fitz is already showing us why he led the NFL in INTs last season. A friend of mine suggested maybe we should start playing for the Matt Barkley sweepstakes now.

i doubt we see Tavaris anytime soon. Chan seems set (almost stubbornly) on winning with Fitz, and honestly I think Fitz gives us the best chance to win right now.

i agree with 2001 about the D problems. I really don't know what Wannstedt was thinking having the CBs line up so far off the line. one of the benefits of having a good pass rush is allowing your DBs to be more aggressive. hopefully it was just some first game stuff going on, especially considering we didn't really know what to expect from the Jets O (though what they did wasn't anything special, just took great advantage of what we were showing). but it is definitely WAY WAY WAY too soon to start talking about losing on purpose just for Barkley. I absolutely think we need to go all in on a top QB prospect next year, but that doesn't change the fact that we have a fairly talented team and one of the easiest 7-game stretches to end the season that i've ever seen (Mia, @Ind, Jax, StL, SEA, @Mia, NYJ). we'll learn a lot about this team and coaching staff against the Chiefs on Sunday

also, BKF i'd probably wait a week to use the Bills in a survivor league. see how we perform against what should be an improved KC team (though they didn't look very good last week either) and then decide if you want to roll with us @Cleveland in week 3 if you want to use Buffalo early

but it is definitely WAY WAY WAY too soon to start talking about losing on purpose just for Barkley. I absolutely think we need to go all in on a top QB prospect next year, but that doesn't change the fact that we have a fairly talented team and one of the easiest 7-game stretches to end the season that i've ever seen (Mia, @Ind, Jax, StL, SEA, @Mia, NYJ). we'll learn a lot about this team and coaching staff against the Chiefs on Sunday

I agree. I think my friend was just joking based on how horrible the Jets game was. Our next two games (KC and CLE) will tell us a lot, especially about our run defense.

KC with the upset this week...no way a team that looked as miserable as Buff did vs. the Jets (who scored 48-amazing for such a suspect offense) should be favored...fitz needs to sitz if he keeps throwing so many ints...

KC with the upset this week...no way a team that looked as miserable as Buff did vs. the Jets (who scored 48-amazing for such a suspect offense) should be favored...fitz needs to sitz if he keeps throwing so many ints...

You've obviously never seen Travaris Jackson play if you think he would be an answer to INT problems. Although, he still hasn't learned the offense and Thigpen is still the #2 for the time being. Thigpen also has INT problems, though, so Fitz is still the best bet and will most likely only be replaced if injured.

!!! Martin Biron ‏@martybiron43
Tailgating at the Bills game right now. Any Bills fans out there, let me know where you are and what you're eating and I might swing by!!!!

alright, week 2. Lets do this. Lets Go Buffalo! Beat the Chiefs!

C+J+Spiller+Buffalo+Bills+v+Kansas+City+Chiefs+7fmxocJcGT1l.jpg

CJ!!!! please keep running like this and keep the ball out of Fitz' hands

BILLS WIN! BILLS WIN! don't know why, but we've owned the Chiefs the last few years

CJ has a 10.07 yards per rush average through the first 2 games, unreal

Apologize, now.

After 2 games these are my initial impressions:
1. We need to get a new qb this offseason. Fitz just isn't the guy. Even with a good running game and decent protection he still has a tendency to underthrow the ball. He does run well, though. Was interesting to listen to Bills fans booing him and cheering for him during the game.
2. travaris was inactive a 2nd straight week because he can't learn the offense. Why did we give up a draft pick for this guy and how did the staff not know he had playbook issues?
3. Gilmore is coming along nicely but has to watch the holding or he will develop a rep with officials and start getting called for it a lot more.
4. I have no idea what is going to happen when we have to decide between keeping Spiller or Fred but there is no way CJ is going to stick around as a backup, especially since he will get some big offers on the FA market whenever his contract is up.
5. I really liked the front 4 today but secondary still has some issues.

i pretty much agree with your points but a few things to add:
1. i agree we need a new QB, i want us to go all in ala the Redskins for Barkley or some other top QB next year. Fitz obviously isn't the answer. with that said, i honestly believe that all of the 'mechanic' and 'fundamental' work he did with David Lee this offseason is really messing with his head. you can tell he is over thinking everything out there which he never used to do. for instance the pass on the first series that he missed Chandler on real bad he wasn't decisive enough and held on too long, last year's Fitz would have had that ball out as soon as he saw Scott get some separation. and later in the 3rd quarter Fitz hit him perfectly on almost an identical play. i just think he needs some time to get comfortable again out there. i still don't think he is the long term answer but if he can just manage games and make minimal mistakes like today we can win a lot of games this year.

2. i wouldn't say Jackson has problems with learning playbooks. he has only been in Buffalo for barley 3 weeks now. 0 training camp snaps, and he is most likely getting very few snaps in practice now that we are in the season. Chan wants to run a fairly complex Offense so it really isn't a surprise that he hasnt really picked it up to the point the coaches feel comfortable as a backup. and it was only a 6th rounder, so i'm not too worried about the pick given up either. but with that said, they probably should have just rode with Thigpen given the complexity of the offense and the experience Thig has in it...but he is terrible, so what do you do?

3. i like how aggressive Gilmore was today, especially how we had our DBs play so far off last week. i wouldn't be too worried about the holding, he seems to do a pretty good job of releasing when need be and i think a lot of it is because these replacement refs just aren't calling it. my only fear here is that he won't be able to break the habit once the real refs come back but he seems like a smart kid so we'll have to see.

4. Spiller has shown that RB1 is his job. i love Freddie to death and still want him to be a big part of the offense, but you just can't sit CJ down with the production he has given us these first 2 games (and the 7 last year after Fred went down). People like to get on Chan about having favorites and being stubborn but I really don't see him benching CJ when Fred gets back. Chan said before the season that both of them won't be happy, but he has got to do his best to get them both heavily involved. I hope the Bills FO realizes CJ is our future and will lock him up when the time comes.

5. agreed. d-line was dominant. Anderson looked great in run support and Kyle was the monster that he always is. DBs still have some work but they are young and will hopefully develop. even on Bowe's first TD Aaron Williams was right there but Bowe just made a better play on the ball. Aaron definitely has to work on finding the ball a little bit more.

we just have to take it one game at a time and I think we'll be alright. don't know if we can make the playoffs but with our schedule down the stretch i hope we are at least making a push at the end of the season.

Go Bills! Beat the Browns!

Last edited:
Back