• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Boy Scouts May Agree To Accept Openly Gay Scouts...

I'm going to be so disappointed if I can't let my kid join scouts whenever I have one.

So openly gay Scout are okay. Closeted ones better get the fuck out? Check.

I don't understand the leaders thing. They still allow female leaders, and they (theoretically, if they're straight) pose as much threat to young boys as gay male adults.

?

I don't understand the leaders thing. They still allow female leaders, and they (theoretically, if they're straight) pose as much threat to young boys as gay male adults.

?

Gay male adults are habitual pedophiles and rapists who prey upon children. DUH.

?

Especially in Florida, amiright?

Seriously here's the reason this idea is dumb: Once you're 18 you can't be a scout anymore, you can only be a "leader". For example, tons of boy scout camp counselors are college age kids over the age of 18. I can only assume that "leaders" doesn't just mean the leader of a scout troop, but also over-18 camp counselors, people who are employed by the local councils, etc. etc. So what this means is that an openly gay kid can get his Eagle, and then the next day when he turns 18 he can no longer be associated with the Scouts in any meaningful capacity. In my personal experience (and I'm getting old, maybe it's different these days) a lot of men do not come out as openly gay until they are over 18 anyway, so the number of openly gay scouts under 18 is going to be pretty small. meanwhile, an openly gay couple won't be allowed to serve any leadership role in their sons' troop (not that an openly gay couple would actually enroll their kid in scouts under this regime).

This proposal is just a way to try and put a PR band aid on the problem, it is not really meaningful.

You kind of lose interest in participating once you get your eagle, fwiw.

You kind of lose interest in participating once you get your eagle, fwiw.

:shrug:

my little broski has been pretty involved with OA stuff and summer camp; he's 23 now.

eta: he's an exception, though. for the most part i'd say you're right.

yeah i mean i'm thinking of all my fellow eagles in my troop and 95% of them don't do anything

sure, same with me. However I did go back to summer camp the summer after I turned 18 to re-up my BSA lifeguard certification. I was technically an "assistant troop leader" in the provisional troop. If I was gay, under this proposal I would not have been able to do so.

look i want them to let gay leaders in, i'm just explaining to the BSA unaware that most people who go through the full ride do not stay in it.

?

A young boy's ass would probably disagree.

One of the main difficulties for the scouts is that local troops/packs are sponsored by chartered organizations, which primarily tend to be churches and over half of which are Mormon, Catholic, or Southern Baptist -- all organizations that are rabidly homophobic.

The scouts have mishandled this issue to such a degree that they are damned either way -- they'll lose major funding by keeping discriminatory policies in place but if they change the membership policy to be more progressive they will likely lose a significant number of members.

Back