• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Boy Scouts May Agree To Accept Openly Gay Scouts...

Well I'd probably be more worried about closeted dudes than 100% out in the open dudes messing with my kid. I imagine the fear is more based on ancient romans were all about the manlove, so maybe its perfectly normal and exposing kids to role models being that way will increase the liklihood your kid turns out being gay.

Oh, so you mean ignorance and bigotry? That makes sense.

I'm trying to figure out ways to get involved in the community and my main interest lies in youth sports and activities ( the things that fight obesity and keep kids out of trouble) but as a man without kids I'm super hesitant to volunteer in that capacity because I feel like parents are hyper sensitive about that scenario.

Let parents get to know you. Never find yourself alone with a kid. Kids desperately need male role models. The parents will love you for your involvement.

Scouts vote to admit gay youth, not leaders: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/us/boy-scouts-sexual-orientation/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So, you can be a gay Scout when you are 17 years and 364 days old, then you are out.

Here's a guy who is mad about it: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/23/my-take-why-my-family-is-quitting-the-boy-scouts/?hpt=hp_t1 I was entertained by this line: "Parents should have the exclusive right to raise issues about sex and sexuality with their children in their own time and in their own way, in the privacy of their homes, not brought up by other older boys around a campfire." I guess the conversations around his campfires were a lot tamer than the conversations I had around campfires when I was in Scouts.

I love that he disabled comments on his article. I'm sure the feedback would be very constructive and entirely positive, not sure why he was worried.

Well I'd probably be more worried about closeted dudes than 100% out in the open dudes messing with my kid. I imagine the fear is more based on ancient romans were all about the manlove, so maybe its perfectly normal and exposing kids to role models being that way will increase the liklihood your kid turns out being gay.

I'm trying to figure out how this post makes any sense. But I don't think it comes close to doing so.

I'm trying to figure out ways to get involved in the community and my main interest lies in youth sports and activities ( the things that fight obesity and keep kids out of trouble) but as a man without kids I'm super hesitant to volunteer in that capacity because I feel like parents are hyper sensitive about that scenario.

that's weird.

Let parents get to know you. Never find yourself alone with a kid. Kids desperately need male role models. The parents will love you for your involvement.

exactly. ever heard of big brothers, big sisters?

My daughter is in a troop where one of the two leaders is a lesbian (with a spouse and kids). I am married to the other (non-lesbian) troop leader. And my daughter spends the night at the gay couple's house on occasion, because our daughters are BFFs. So I am fine with gay scout leaders, as a concept. A bit weirded out by the idea of a young (early 20's) gay scout leader camping with same-sex late teens. Sorry, I don't think that is bigotry.

I was in an elevator at my old job (20 floor office building in LA) alone with some dude once who literally came up behind me and started humping. Probably a 10-15 second ride to my floor. It was like 2PM. Dude got a spinning elbow right to the nose and I'm fairly sure I broke it. Was probably the most surreal experience of my life, I was in shock. I'm not a homophobe, one of my college roommates came out and we stayed good friends, but there be some crazies out there. Alot of them are attracted to hairless dudes, its not unreasonable to be somewhat concerned with your 12 year old having a gay scout leader and being left alone. There aren't many situations where grown men have overnight trips alone with high school chicks.

Are you hairless?

I was in an elevator at my old job (20 floor office building in LA) alone with some dude once who literally came up behind me and started humping. Probably a 10-15 second ride to my floor. It was like 2PM. Dude got a spinning elbow right to the nose and I'm fairly sure I broke it. Was probably the most surreal experience of my life, I was in shock. I'm not a homophobe, one of my college roommates came out and we stayed good friends, but there be some crazies out there. Alot of them are attracted to hairless dudes, its not unreasonable to be somewhat concerned with your 12 year old having a gay scout leader and being left alone. There aren't many situations where grown men have overnight trips alone with high school chicks.

What. Is. This.

lik dis if you cry evertim

I wonder what kind of signals you were sending out? What happened after you elbowed him- did you guys go back to making small talk or what?

Surprise, surprise. I can't believe these small mind people. Well... I guess I can. I'm surprised they have so many followers.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...e-churches-and-members-to-cut-boy-scout-ties/

Baptists plan exodus from Boy Scouts
By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) – For Southern Baptist pastor Tim Reed, it was Scripture versus the Scouts.

“God’s word explicitly says homosexuality is a choice, a sin,” said Reed, pastor of First Baptist Church of Gravel Ridge in Jacksonville, Arkansas.

So when the Boy Scouts of America voted to lift its ban on openly gay youths on May 24, Reed said the church had no choice but to cut its charter with Troop 542.

“It’s not a hate thing here,” Reed told CNN affiliate Fox 16. “It’s a moral stance we must take as a Southern Baptist church.”

Southern Baptist leaders say Reed is not alone.

Baptist churches sponsor nearly 4,000 Scout units representing more than 100,000 youths, according to the Boy Scouts of America.

That number could drop precipitously.

The Southern Baptist Convention, the country’s largest Protestant denomination, will soon urge its 45,000 congregations and 16 million members to cut ties with the Scouts, according to church leaders.

The denomination will vote on nonbinding but influential resolutions during a convention June 11-12 in Houston.

“There’s a 100% chance that there will be a resolution about disaffiliation at the convention,” said Richard Land, the longtime head of the Southern Baptists’ Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, “and a 100% chance that 99% of people will vote for it.”

atrocious. someone needs to remind that guy that a sin is a sin is a sin. it's not our place to judge. that whole never sinned/throwing stones business.

***ETA: this is relevant if you believe homosexuality is a sin. not saying i do, but even if it is one... he's approaching it all wrong.

Surprise, surprise. I can't believe these small mind people. Well... I guess I can. I'm surprised they have so many followers.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...e-churches-and-members-to-cut-boy-scout-ties/

Baptists plan exodus from Boy Scouts
By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) – For Southern Baptist pastor Tim Reed, it was Scripture versus the Scouts.

“God’s word explicitly says homosexuality is a choice, a sin,” said Reed, pastor of First Baptist Church of Gravel Ridge in Jacksonville, Arkansas.

So when the Boy Scouts of America voted to lift its ban on openly gay youths on May 24, Reed said the church had no choice but to cut its charter with Troop 542.

“It’s not a hate thing here,” Reed told CNN affiliate Fox 16. “It’s a moral stance we must take as a Southern Baptist church.”

Southern Baptist leaders say Reed is not alone.

Baptist churches sponsor nearly 4,000 Scout units representing more than 100,000 youths, according to the Boy Scouts of America.

That number could drop precipitously.

The Southern Baptist Convention, the country’s largest Protestant denomination, will soon urge its 45,000 congregations and 16 million members to cut ties with the Scouts, according to church leaders.

The denomination will vote on nonbinding but influential resolutions during a convention June 11-12 in Houston.

“There’s a 100% chance that there will be a resolution about disaffiliation at the convention,” said Richard Land, the longtime head of the Southern Baptists’ Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, “and a 100% chance that 99% of people will vote for it.”

The Bible does not say that homosexuality is a choice, nor does it say it is a sin.

There is a greater than 100% chance that Richard Land is an idiot.

atrocious. someone needs to remind that guy that a sin is a sin is a sin. it's not our place to judge. that whole never sinned/throwing stones business.

***ETA: this is relevant if you believe homosexuality is a sin. not saying i do, but even if it is one... he's approaching it all wrong.

This x 1000000.

Not saying it isn't a sin neither

Anything that makes Baptists go away en masse has to be a pretty phenomenal policy, amirite?

Back