• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Boy Scouts May Agree To Accept Openly Gay Scouts...

Scouts vote to admit gay youth, not leaders: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/us/boy-scouts-sexual-orientation/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So, you can be a gay Scout when you are 17 years and 364 days old, then you are out.

Here's a guy who is mad about it: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/23/my-take-why-my-family-is-quitting-the-boy-scouts/?hpt=hp_t1 I was entertained by this line: "Parents should have the exclusive right to raise issues about sex and sexuality with their children in their own time and in their own way, in the privacy of their homes, not brought up by other older boys around a campfire." I guess the conversations around his campfires were a lot tamer than the conversations I had around campfires when I was in Scouts.

Scouts vote to admit gay youth, not leaders: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/us/boy-scouts-sexual-orientation/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So, you can be a gay Scout when you are 17 years and 364 days old, then you are out.

Here's a guy who is mad about it: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/23/my-take-why-my-family-is-quitting-the-boy-scouts/?hpt=hp_t1 I was entertained by this line: "Parents should have the exclusive right to raise issues about sex and sexuality with their children in their own time and in their own way, in the privacy of their homes, not brought up by other older boys around a campfire." I guess the conversations around his campfires were a lot tamer than the conversations I had around campfires when I was in Scouts.

i mean, unless he homeschools this point is completely moot because there's nothing they're talking about there that hasn't already been discussed in the locker room/on the bus/at lunch.

well it's good they'll allow gay kids in, so they can try to shame them in to being straight.

He won't come out and say it, but his real fear is that gay man = pedo, and that his kid is going to get abused. That is the underlying issue here. That's why the Scouts can't bring themselves to allow leaders to be gay, because a large part of their constituency truly believes that openly gay men only want to be Scout leaders so they can prey on young boys. People like this guy try to cover it up with platitudes about not wanting to get the Scouts involved in politics (as if banning a whole group of people doesn't automatically cause that involvement) and about not wanting their kids to hear about sex in the Scouts (guess what, teenage boys talk about sex ALL THE TIME, whether they're in Scouts or not).

That underlying stigma is always going to be a problem as long as it is a prevalent myth in society.

Saw an interview with a scout leader hosting rallies against letting openly gay scouts participate and he said if they voted to allow them, then he'd take his kids out for fear of their safety.

Why do homophobic straight men think that gay people go around forcibly shoving stuff up unwilling asses?

I seriously do not understand the "fear" of gay people.

i'm like 90% sure the people that think that way are pedophiles and/or rapists (only women, though, dont call 'em fags).

Saw an interview with a scout leader hosting rallies against letting openly gay scouts participate and he said if they voted to allow them, then he'd take his kids out for fear of their safety.

Why do homophobic straight men think that gay people go around forcibly shoving stuff up unwilling asses?

Because the news stories are all about guys like Jerry Sandusky. Or the Catholic priests preying on alter boys. In their mind, it's a legitimate fear when that's what you see. In the news you never hear about the the gay men/women that are good fathers/mothers.

none of them are gay, dude. sandusky was married. priests are abstinent. how many news stories of openly gay men that rape kids are there?

True, but still older guys preying on younger guys. The fear in their mind is still the same.

well that's retarded. older dudes are scout leaders. older dudes that could be married or bachelors as long as they aren't gay just like the people you mentioned.

i assume that they rape little girls and thus think gays cant help themselves around little boys.

What percentage of kids under the age of 18 are openly gay? I don't think I know of anyone that has come out that early, and that includes high school.

I'm trying to figure out ways to get involved in the community and my main interest lies in youth sports and activities ( the things that fight obesity and keep kids out of trouble) but as a man without kids I'm super hesitant to volunteer in that capacity because I feel like parents are hyper sensitive about that scenario.

What percentage of kids under the age of 18 are openly gay? I don't think I know of anyone that has come out that early, and that includes high school.

...what's your point? they're most likely not out because the high school scene is scary enough as it is. the best thing we can do is provide environments where they know it's ok to be themselves, regardless of when they decide to share it with the world.

I was in an elevator at my old job (20 floor office building in LA) alone with some dude once who literally came up behind me and started humping. Probably a 10-15 second ride to my floor. It was like 2PM. Dude got a spinning elbow right to the nose and I'm fairly sure I broke it. Was probably the most surreal experience of my life, I was in shock. I'm not a homophobe, one of my college roommates came out and we stayed good friends, but there be some crazies out there. Alot of them are attracted to hairless dudes, its not unreasonable to be somewhat concerned with your 12 year old having a gay scout leader and being left alone. There aren't many situations where grown men have overnight trips alone with high school chicks.

Last edited:
There aren't many situations where grown men have overnight trips alone with high school chicks.

Seems like nearly every case of pedophilia that makes the news involves presumed straight men diddling and molesting little boys. I don't thing sexual orientation plays much of a part in it, pedos gonna pedo.

Seems like nearly every case of pedophilia that makes the news involves presumed straight men diddling and molesting little boys. I don't thing sexual orientation plays much of a part in it, pedos gonna pedo.

Well I'd probably be more worried about closeted dudes than 100% out in the open dudes messing with my kid. I imagine the fear is more based on ancient romans were all about the manlove, so maybe its perfectly normal and exposing kids to role models being that way will increase the liklihood your kid turns out being gay.

Back