• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case For Infanticide

My guess is that this paper is a backdoor attempt by pro-life interests to attack abortion from a new angle.

The threshold for independent viability is well before natural birth.

I'm guessing SCDeac already knew that in most places it's illegal to have an abortion after the point at which the fetus can survive without the mother.

"They're Australian"

Aaah,,,,then they were criminals...:)

Last edited:
Crazier - The dudes who wrote this article or the people who are frightened by it?

I'm guessing SCDeac already knew that in most places it's illegal to have an abortion after the point at which the fetus can survive without the mother.

Quite aware of that, but I was just responding to the statement about viability before and after delivery as it related to adoption. I have a 6 month old...she's not independently viable. Hell for that matter neither is my 3 year old.

My argument being that if viability is the determining factor on when and abortion can and cannot be performed then we're on a real slippery slope as a society. Good frind of mine and his wife delivered twin daughters at 21 weeks. They're now healthly normal 4 year olds. 10 or 15 years ago they would have never survived. My point being that as science and medicine continue to advance that point of viability continues to be lowered.

Not sure what kind of a society we are when we say that at one moment its a fetus that can be tossed in the trash and at the next moment it's a viable unborn child.

FWIW...i hate abortion arguments...it's one of the few if only issue where no one usually changes their mind....unless you're a former governor from Mass.

Last edited:
Quite aware of that, but I was just responding to the statement about viability before and after delivery as it related to adoption. I have a 6 month old...she's not independently viable. Hell for that matter neither is my 3 year old.

My argument being that if viability is the determining factor on when and abortion can and cannot be performed then we're on a real slippery slope as a society. Good frind of mine and his wife delivered twin daughters at 21 weeks. They're now healthly normal 4 year olds. 10 or 15 years ago they would have never survived. My point being that as science and medicine continue to advance that point of viability continues to be lowered.

Not sure what kind of a society we are when we say that at one moment its a fetus that can be tossed in the trash and at the next moment it's a viable unborn child.

FWIW...i hate abortion arguments...it's one of the few if only issue where no one usually changes their mind....unless you're a former governor from Mass.

I'm against abortion, but you're using a pretty weak argument. That's not society. That's biology. One moment a fetus is completely dependent on the mother. And the next moment, the fetus can live outside the womb with considerable help but not necessarily from the mother.

I'm against abortion, but you're using a pretty weak argument. That's not society. That's biology. One moment a fetus is completely dependent on the mother. And the next moment, the fetus can live outside the womb with considerable help but not necessarily from the mother.

It is society. My youngest had a tough time for a few days but ending being fine. On pure biological gorunds she would have not survived, but as a society we make the choice to help a newborn that needs medical care to survive. The point I'm making is that as medicine and science advance that point where where we can make the choice to help a newborn survive is lower and lower. I'd expect in the next decade or so to see premies born under 20 weeks to begin to routinely survive.

BTW, it's a baby. No one tells people "hey we're pregnant...we're having fetus. would you like to see an ultrasound of our fetus."

That'll be my last response on this one. I don't have the energy, plus like I said this is probably the one issue where people rarely change their minds regardless of how much is said.

The Case for Regicide:

joffrey_baratheon.jpg

My guess is that this paper is a backdoor attempt by pro-life interests to attack abortion from a new angle.

Not really a new angle, I've been taking a similar hypothetical position on these boards for years. I'm cool with abortion if I get the right to pop a cap in anyone who I feel is a burden on me for one reason or another and is otherwise incapable of surviving on their own. Why do certain people get to kill those who annoy them and depend on them, yet I don't?

It is society. My youngest had a tough time for a few days but ending being fine. On pure biological gorunds she would have not survived, but as a society we make the choice to help a newborn that needs medical care to survive. The point I'm making is that as medicine and science advance that point where where we can make the choice to help a newborn survive is lower and lower. I'd expect in the next decade or so to see premies born under 20 weeks to begin to routinely survive.

BTW, it's a baby. No one tells people "hey we're pregnant...we're having fetus. would you like to see an ultrasound of our fetus."

And we'll see abortion laws change accordingly.

if dad is an iranian scientist it's ok

That's because they are having a baby. Once it's born it's a baby. They're just using the wrong term instead of embryo or fetus.

By the way, I always wanted to put together a rap to the beat of "My Adidas" that was called "It's My Fetus," back when my wife was pregnant.

I tend to agree with Arlington. This is so outrageous that it's more like to come from a radical group of pro-lifers than "experts".

What if the infant is likely to grow up into a physicist?

Back