• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The fight.

According to YouTube, this has been viewed over 407,000 times. I'd put Townie's view number at about 200,000 or them as this thread indicates.

Last edited:
YO RJ

what is the best 80s dead tune

althea
alabama getaway
west LA fadeaway
hell in a bucket
standing on the moon

don't you dare say touch of gray you wily bastard

I've always liked Carnegie and 2nd Ave better than Katz's.

But i'm also more of a Philly deli type than a NY style. I like thinly sliced meats over chunks.

i think we've found our path to peace.

ladytramp.jpg

You guys are haters, how about you dickheads tell me about all the books you've written?

Ps- Irish stay out of this!!!!!

YO RJ

what is the best 80s dead tune

althea
alabama getaway
west LA fadeaway
hell in a bucket
standing on the moon

don't you dare say touch of gray you wily bastard

Love those drums on Throwing Stones.

That's probably true. Let's call it what it is. An ewBook.

i think if this thread were pubhiled as an ewbook it would sell more copies than an unnamed "book." does that make townie the second best author on the rjkboards?

You guys are haters, how about you dickheads tell me about all the books you've written?

Ps- Irish stay out of this!!!!!

But he gets paid to look up shit on the internet and write by his boss.

Remember ivory types like his work, mine is only liked by those who have created generations of American comedy. I'd much rather be respected by an assistant professor (and part-time Jiffy Lube employee) than by the guy who owned National Lampoon and created Animal House.

Who wouldn't? I mean an easy A and a discount on your next oil change is big time.

It's really surprising that you would go to Townie for help if you have such little respect for him and his profession.

There is a kernel of truth that I was too cowardly to get seriously into writing (though I do write for Blogger So Dear and a music blog). I studied Creative Writing at Wake and actually interviewed at a few graduate schools for the MFA in Creative Writing but always had a hard time with the conceit that other people would give a shit about what I had to say, and I felt like a hack. I wasn't willing to put in the insane amount of work necessary to write and revise and kill your darlings and rewrite and stand up to rejection the rest of my life where you aren't making a living unless you're also working at a bookstore or teaching.

I took a completely different path, and sometimes I look back and wonder what it might be like if I took my marginal writing talent and devoted my life to it.

What I actually feel is that rj has lived some amazing experiences and that does not a book make. Even if he had a ghost writer to actually work on the craft of plotting, even if there were any elements of character development or any consideration of literary mise en scene, there are still gatekeepers in the publishing world for good reason. There's a reason that self-publishing hasn't completely overtaken traditional publishing methods, because there has to be something out there keeping every Tom, John, and Rick away from just writing their thoughts and assuming everyone needs to hear them as they were written.

rj, your stories are cool, but your writing is objectively bad. And regardless of that point, I still commend you for having the courage to write and promote the shit out of your book. I have neither the stories nor the talent nor the wherewithal to make writing books my life. That's what it takes to be a real writer, devoting your entire life to the craft. So when I say I didn't want to edit your "shitty book" for free, this is my thought process behind it. I'm not just recklessly throwing out insults. It's something I've actively chosen to avoid.

I've stood back reading this thread and there are a few things I think need to be said for the betterment of our community. First of all, rjkarl and Townie, we hear you. We hear your voices. We understand your pain. Your feelings are valid, and we all want you to know that. What I'd like to do is help to facilitate a conversation between you two so that we may resolve this conflict. To begin, we need to begin using respectful communication. Use of phrases like "your shitty book" or "the guy behind the counter ladles cheese wiz into Townie's beard" are destructive, rather than constructive and will not help us achieve our end goal, which is an acceptance that there may be more than one perspective of the "truth" and we must each take some responsibility for our conduct in creating the conflict. Ultimately we must begin to listen not just with our ears, but with our hearts. So let us now form an agreement to negotiate our differences in this safe environment and assume a posture of involvement. I want to be the conduit for healing.

Back