• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The #FireWellman Billboard: CBSSports, CNNSI, ESPN, Sporting News, SBN, WSJ, Yahoo

If you think about, redsox could be genius enough to create a good design, website, announce it on here with a location... Say it's "on the way"... Everyone cheers and thanks him.. Three weeks later, more rain delays and no billboard, and redsox is sitting in his basement doing lines laughing his ass off..

can he invite me over

i'll bring the beer

I am not sure the worsening Director's Cup results is where I would focus wrt problems with Wellman. Wake is at such a disadvantage in trying to earn Director's Cup points it is ridiculous. I did the analysis long ago on a thread somewhere, but, the years we finished higher we were consistently getting points from a handful of sports - like field hockey, soccer, golf teams, etc. Other than that, we have always struggled. We simply do not field enough sports to finish consistently high.

To me the focus should remain on the high profile sports - men's football and basketball - mainly basketball. That is why we want him fired. Face it, if we were still finishing in the 30s or 40s in the Director's Cup but we still have Buzz and basketball remains in the tank, we would still want him fired...

We don't have any fewer sports than we had when things were going well.

If you think about, redsox could be genius enough to create a good design, website, announce it on here with a location... Say it's "on the way"... Everyone cheers and thanks him.. Three weeks later, more rain delays and no billboard, and redsox is sitting in his basement doing lines laughing his ass off..

what do you expect for a guy who dresses like this?

rich-kids-instagram-new-08_1.jpg

I am not sure the worsening Director's Cup results is where I would focus wrt problems with Wellman. Wake is at such a disadvantage in trying to earn Director's Cup points it is ridiculous. I did the analysis long ago on a thread somewhere, but, the years we finished higher we were consistently getting points from a handful of sports - like field hockey, soccer, golf teams, etc. Other than that, we have always struggled. We simply do not field enough sports to finish consistently high.

To me the focus should remain on the high profile sports - men's football and basketball - mainly basketball. That is why we want him fired. Face it, if we were still finishing in the 30s or 40s in the Director's Cup but we still have Buzz and basketball remains in the tank, we would still want him fired...
Just compare our ranks and how they've consistently declined steadily over the last five years or so.

And didn't somebody recently show that our ranking solely in the sports we play was abysmal as well?

We don't have any fewer sports than we had when things were going well.

My point was more that we were really lucky in the years we were doing well - we had a dominating field hockey team - making the final four many years in a row and winning 3 nattys in a row, we had soccer teams making many final 4s and winning a natty, we had golf teams consistently making the ncaa finals and scoring points, etc. As far as I know, Wellman hasn't done anything to harm the soccer or field hockey teams. I guess he hired Haas for golf and maybe we think he should be fired? Maybe people think he should fire Averill?

I don't know - if we are being honest with ourselves, the Director's Cup results are not why most people want Wellman fired - it is because of Buzz. If the basketball team had made the sweet sixteen the last 3 years and Wellman had hired a Basketball coach we all loved, do you think people would be putting up a billboard asking for his head based on the declining Director's Cup results?

Latest Director's Cup.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/apr25DIrelease.pdf

We're tied for #111 with the following teams:
Arkansas State
Dayton
St. Louis
USF
VCU
Western Kentucky

I don't think that's because we don't have a synchronized swimming team.

No, but, having fewer sports make it much more difficult to be consistent - obviously. For us to score high, we have to score points in the sports where we have a chance. If some of our traditionally point-scoring sports drop off, we don't have as many others that can pick up the slack.

Here are some fun teams we are behind:

Farleigh Dickinson
South Dakota State
Georgia Southern
FGCU
Brown
Portland
Qunnipiac
Sam Houston State
Illinois State
Boston University
Northern Arizona
Montana State

There are more as well.

Weather should be nice tonight and tomorrow. No reason the billboard shouldn't be up in the next 24 hours, right?

My point was more that we were really lucky in the years we were doing well - we had a dominating field hockey team - making the final four many years in a row and winning 3 nattys in a row, we had soccer teams making many final 4s and winning a natty, we had golf teams consistently making the ncaa finals and scoring points, etc. As far as I know, Wellman hasn't done anything to harm the soccer or field hockey teams. I guess he hired Haas for golf and maybe we think he should be fired? Maybe people think he should fire Averill?

I don't know - if we are being honest with ourselves, the Director's Cup results are not why most people want Wellman fired - it is because of Buzz. If the basketball team had made the sweet sixteen the last 3 years and Wellman had hired a Basketball coach we all loved, do you think people would be putting up a billboard asking for his head based on the declining Director's Cup results?

What you call "luck" is what most people call having coaches and athletic department staff who are good at their jobs. If it's "luck" when our sports teams perform well, then why bother?

Do you think it's just unlucky that Brown, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Portland have had better seasons than Wake?

Last edited:
Some of you all are going to need to send apologies to RedSoxFaithful for all the harrassing if this ends up being a huge success.

seriously, how will be able to tell that "this ends up being a huge success?"

I found the spreadsheet I did analyzing our Dir Cup finished over the past 19 seasons.

From '94 - '00, over 7 seasons, our avg finish was 53. The two golf teams and women's tennis provided over half of our points, on avg. Both CC teams were scoring about every year. W and M soccer were both rising and scoring - M Basketball usually scored.

From '01 - '07, another 7 seasons, could be considered our golden years from a Dir. Cup standpoint. Our avg. finish was 36. During that time, FH had 2 final 4s, 1 final game and 3 national titles. FH, the golf teams and the tennis teams accounted for over 56% of our points. W CC was still very strong and M basketball was scoring most years. As usual, the track teams threw in some points as well.

Then you hit '08 - '12 - the decline - our average finish has been 60, with the trend heading downward. Neither CC team has scored a point. T&F has pretty much stopped getting us any points. FH was still strong at the beginning of this period but failed to score a point last year after 11 years in a row. Soccer is still pretty good. Golf is still mostly scoring but not as strong. Tennis has declined. W tennis scored points in 15/16 years but now missed 2 out of the last 3. M tennis scored ten years in a row but now has missed 2 in a row. (not counting this year, yet)

Anyway, I see the declining Director's Cup results as an ancillary point to bring up in supporting Wellman being replaced - not the focus. The focus is the hiring and retention of Buzz against all evidence. The poor Director's Cup finishes take away the argument that says "but he is doing such a great job of running the overall Athletic Dept...." No, he's not.

Back