• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Future of Ukraine

Hey I said it was a reach

I just feel cheated on not getting to hate Mother Russia

If Putin is Hitler, I've got a pretty good idea who will be playing the role of Neville Chamberlain...

It's shit like this that serves to remind the world that whatever problems and posturing they've done over the last 10-15 years to distance themselves from the US, it's still much better to be in our corner than it is to be in the corner of the shifty Russians and ChiComs.

Czechoslovakia, Austria and Poland all had heavy German populations and had recently been part of the former Germanic empire. I'm not saying that we're headed to WWIII because of it, but Putin's actions along with his rational for them is quite similar to Hitler's. Lets not forget about his actions in Georgia a couple years ago.

An authoritarian empire collapsed, to be replaced by a weak government who tried to move away from their former governmental model, who was then followed by a strongman who's #1 goal was to return that nation to their former military and territorial glory.

Sounds familiar.

Today, there are nationality enclaves all over Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union (and even in Western Europe!), just as there have always been. They just don't fit into the model of the nation state, and it is increasingly unlikely that they ever will. So the basis is constantly there for the spliting off of these areas either to become independent or join with their national compatriots in neighboring states. Interestilngly, the European Union, a supranational organization, may be making this kind of spliting off easier for its members (see Scotland and Catalonia, and perhaps northern and southern Italy). And it is more than ironic that the Ukranian patriots want to join a European Union that would make the loss of the disputed areas even more likely, and where their enthusiastic nationalism is anathema. In any event stay tuned.

All the important players here - Ukraine, Russia, the European Union, and perhaps even the US has real potential economic losses to fear in this Ukrainian crisis. So, everyone better step carefully, very carefully.

It's shit like this that serves to remind the world that whatever problems and posturing they've done over the last 10-15 years to distance themselves from the US, it's still much better to be in our corner than it is to be in the corner of the shifty Russians and ChiComs.

You mean like invading Iraq and all. (Sorry but I just couldn't resist.)

Putin has embarrassed Obama twice already on the national stage. Snowden and Iran are recent history. Will be interesting to see how Ukraine goes down. If recent past is any indicator, Russia will gain more influence at the expense of the US.

Of course Wrangor would say this. He has even taken a criminal's side (Snowden) to show how bad Obama is. It's delusional to think Putin would ever have the power and influence that Obama has in the world.

Last edited:
this narrative of trying to fit putin:hitler is ridiculous

Had you been paying attention you'd know that the departing Ukranian President compared the "liberators" in this deal to Nazi's... as reported by Salon.com and others of all political stripe-- this news has to be extremely embarrassing for the knee-jerk liberal. What is RJ to say if he supports a movement which is at least 30% Nazi and flying the disgusting motifs of Nazi Germany and the Old American South? In the halls of this new Ukranian Democracy...these are the symbols being flown and by those who are the most animated, angry and influential in the crowd.

So, on the battlefield of Syria, my country is gonna stand with the 30-40 percent virulent Anti-Zionists and there in the Ukraine they find a moral equivalent of the same percentage. That is beyond mere "strange bedfellows".

There is little good to say about the Old Soviet...but I will side with that basterd every time against any assholes inspired by Nazism.

Who,then, is on the "wrong side of history"?

Oh man, Lectro on world history could be really good.

No kidding...for assholes without any background it will come in handy.

Let me not forget John McCain's support of the Ukranian Nationalists / Neo's. It's not just liberals...just as when IBM and Ford continued their German operations well past 1940. Such was the disdain for the Bolshevik.

Take Obama out of the equation and you gotta wonder what the GOP response would be. McCain and Lindsey Graham have never met a military conflict they wouldn't join in a heartbeat, but I don't see the younger generations of conservatives chomping at the bit to be the world's policeman forever. Apparently John Bolton wants to run for President, but I don't see neo-cons ever making a comeback within the GOP or the broader electorate. As long as we're stuck with a two party system, I always want two reasonable and credible candidates for President, but I do kinda want Palin to run. I do think the country benefits from a rational conservative party and Palin getting crushed would finally end the myth that there's a huge conservative bloc out there that stayed home in 2012 because Mitt was too moderate. Palin parroting talking points spoon fed to her by a neo-con hawk in 2008 isn't the same as having a coherent grasp of foreign policy.

No kidding...for assholes without any background it will come in handy.

Let me not forget John McCain's support of the Ukranian Nationalists / Neo's. It's not just liberals...just as when IBM and Ford continued their German operations well past 1940. Such was the disdain for the Bolshevik.

Lectro, tell us more about your world history background.[/QUOTE

All the wisdom of the world would be wasted if the caravan were to stop and account for a big double zero.

The dog barks and the caravan passes. -- old Arabic saying

Lectro, tell us more about your world history background.[/QUOTE

All the wisdom of the world would be wasted if the caravan were to stop and account for a big double zero.

The dog barks and the caravan passes. -- old Arabic saying

post-31310-thats-wonderful-gif-Andre-the-54aK.gif

Take Obama out of the equation and you gotta wonder what the GOP response would be. McCain and Lindsey Graham have never met a military conflict they wouldn't join in a heartbeat, but I don't see the younger generations of conservatives chomping at the bit to be the world's policeman forever. Apparently John Bolton wants to run for President, but I don't see neo-cons ever making a comeback within the GOP or the broader electorate. As long as we're stuck with a two party system, I always want two reasonable and credible candidates for President, but I do kinda want Palin to run. I do think the country benefits from a rational conservative party and Palin getting crushed would finally end the myth that there's a huge conservative bloc out there that stayed home in 2012 because Mitt was too moderate. Palin parroting talking points spoon fed to her by a neo-con hawk in 2008 isn't the same as having a coherent grasp of foreign policy.

Hoe RW is the town where I live? We have a Palin Dr. Hopefully, it's named after Michael Palin.

[5] Human Rights Watch reported that "Racism and xenophobia remain entrenched problems in Ukraine".[6] In 2012 the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) reported that "tolerance towards Jews, Russians and Romani appears to have significantly declined in Ukraine since 2000 and prejudices are also reflected in daily life against other groups, who experience problems in accessing goods and services".[7]

-Wiki

Back