• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Hangover II

For those who can't wait for Part II, BRIDESMAIDS was funny, and not at all what I expected.

This is so true. I will admit I took the GF to the movies and she picked. When she said Bridesmaids i was not thrilled. It was a very funny movie and not at all what I expected. Do your self a favor and go see it.

Hmm, no, I love a good comedy. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, as mentioned, is one of the best comedies to come out in a while. Hangover just didn't do anything for me. Mike Tyson, the Lion bit, the baby, that shits amusing, but not hilarious. I guess that's just not my kind of humor. Comedy that's actually grounded in some sort of human reality, and that features some jokes that aren't just inane, and downright idiotic, that's my idea of comedy. Todd Phillips just focuses on men who act like children (all of his movies are about that), and it gets pretty tiresome after a while. Again, it's okay for a while, but it gets old fast.

Hell that same year (2009) there were a ton of better comedies to come out: Adventureland, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, World's Greatest Dad, Up in the Air, Extract, Observe and Report, (500) Days of Summer. So just because I didn't like the Hangover doesn't mean I have zero personality. It means I like comedies that have smarter jokes than a naked Asian guy jumping out of a trunk. Neg Rep away.

I like most of these movies, but I thought Extract was a gigantic waste of time. I can't even remember a single thing from that movie (literally) and I saw it in the theaters.

Not sure what kind of youth you had, but it seemed like 2 hours of angst, made me depressed watching it - the vampire girl constantly looks like she either just woke up or is on coke, the other girl looked like millions of others, nothing special.

The lead character is hit or miss, loved him in Zombieland, thought he did a good job in Social Network too - this movie? Annoying.

Pretty sure you watched the wrong movie. It was incredibly enjoyable. Of course there was angst, it was a teenage movie. You got depressed watching Adventureland? Wow you must be oblivious to the world, and not care to consider any emotions when watching movies. Not all movies are escapist, turn off your brain stuff.

I like most of these movies, but I thought Extract was a gigantic waste of time. I can't even remember a single thing from that movie (literally) and I saw it in the theaters.

Granted, I haven't seen Extract in a while, and really don't remember any specifics from it. But I remember Bateman being great in it, and Affleck I remember being hilarious.

Pretty sure you watched the wrong movie. It was incredibly enjoyable. Of course there was angst, it was a teenage movie. You got depressed watching Adventureland? Wow you must be oblivious to the world, and not care to consider any emotions when watching movies. Not all movies are escapist, turn off your brain stuff.

Then whats the point? I have to deal with real world shit all the time - give me two hours of some dudes who lost their friend while stealing tysons tiger. Or even a story about a dude who gets dumped by his famous girlfriend (will say, both movies could have done without the dong shot, though).

Then whats the point? I have to deal with real world shit all the time - give me two hours of some dudes who lost their friend while stealing tysons tiger. Or even a story about a dude who gets dumped by his famous girlfriend (will say, both movies could have done without the dong shot, though).
Ha, I can see why you liked the Hangover. I guess your attitude is fine, but a lot of people choose to see movies as art, and want something from them that will make them think. Film is a field of study in college you know, and film theorists and film professors, etc. all see the point in a film that doesn't pander to its audience. I'm gonna take a guess and say you're not very arts oriented.

I liked Adventureland, but I didn't think it was really a comedy. It had funny moments and was certainly marketed as a comedy, but in reality it was much more of a coming-of-age movie.

I liked Adventureland, but I didn't think it was really a comedy. It had funny moments and was certainly marketed as a comedy, but in reality it was much more of a coming-of-age movie.

Ehh, yeah, but the coming-of-age tale I would put as a sub-genre of comedy.

For those who can't wait for Part II, BRIDESMAIDS was funny, and not at all what I expected.

This is so true. I will admit I took the GF to the movies and she picked. When she said Bridesmaids i was not thrilled. It was a very funny movie and not at all what I expected. Do your self a favor and go see it.

Disagree so so strongly. I too got sucked into going with the GF. I thought Bridesmaids was fucking terrible. There were like two funny scenes the entire movie. The rest of it was stupid women bitching at each other/feuding/caring about dumb stuff. I was annoyed by the characters for a good 90% of the movie (and I liked the Hangover, these movies are nothing alike).

Ha, I can see why you liked the Hangover. I guess your attitude is fine, but a lot of people choose to see movies as art, and want something from them that will make them think. Film is a field of study in college you know, and film theorists and film professors, etc. all see the point in a film that doesn't pander to its audience. I'm gonna take a guess and say you're not very arts oriented.

Debating about whether to be offended or not........ gonna go with no.

Carry on.

Hell that same year (2009) there were a ton of better comedies to come out: Adventureland, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, World's Greatest Dad, Up in the Air, Extract, Observe and Report, (500) Days of Summer. So just because I didn't like the Hangover doesn't mean I have zero personality. It means I like comedies that have smarter jokes than a naked Asian guy jumping out of a trunk. Neg Rep away.

You classify Up in the Air as a comedy??

Yeah -- I'm not going to neg rep you either, but none of those movies were funnier than the Hangover. 500 days of summer and up in the air were arguably better, but not funnier. Adventureland was good, but not memorable or all that funny. Extract sucked. Observe and report had its moments, but was disappointing overall. No idea about Worlds Greatest dad, but Robin Williams in a movie written and direct by Bobcat goldthwait -- doubtful. I tried to sit through Fantastic Mr. Fox and Lasted 10 minutes.

Another underrated comedy from around that time is The Promotion, with Sean William Scott and John C. Reilly.

Extract sucked balls, I watched it on HBO or something like that when I was bored. I was expecting to be entertained not depressed about some real world shit and not laugh.

Yeah -- I'm not going to neg rep you either, but none of those movies were funnier than the Hangover. 500 days of summer and up in the air were arguably better, but not funnier. Adventureland was good, but not memorable or all that funny. Extract sucked. Observe and report had its moments, but was disappointing overall. No idea about Worlds Greatest dad, but Robin Williams in a movie written and direct by Bobcat goldthwait -- doubtful. I tried to sit through Fantastic Mr. Fox and Lasted 10 minutes.

Another underrated comedy from around that time is The Promotion, with Sean William Scott and John C. Reilly.

You should give World's Greatest Dad a shot. It will surprise you. I guess if your definition of a comedy being better than another is if it is funnier, then some of those movies wouldn't qualify. But I was just talking about overall quality, not only as a comedy, but a total film.

Back