• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The High Cost To Watch Sports

"Add it all up, and some sports fans might be paying $400-500 a month — or more! — to watch all the sports we could once (mostly) access through a single cable subscription."
this line is just dumb and unnecessary

I think between this new ESPN channel, NBA League Pass, and an antenna I can probably watch about 90% of what I currently watch

if Flagship or whatever is cheaper than YTTV then I'll spending less (depends on how hard it is to share accounts, I guess)

May need to get YTTV for TNT during the NBA playoffs though.

Lets see:
Wake Forest Football & Basketball - ACC Network/ESPN
Wake Forest Soccer & Baseball - ACC Network/ESPN+
Kentucky Football & Basketball - SEC Network/ESPN/CBS(?)
Carolina Panthers Football - CBS/NFL Network
Carolina Hurricanes Hockey - Bally Sports(?)
Cincinnati Reds Baseball - Bally Sports(?)

So I will need: ESPN App, CBS, Bally Sports (or whoever buys their regional rights)

i've wondered this. Are sports bars now set up with Roku boxes or something to stream Sunday Ticket this season ?

What's different about distributing Sunday Ticket to commercial venues except allowing more devices and charging them more?

Then there are people like me. I shell out to YouTube TV to watch live sports Aug through April. I cancel at the end of basketball season and activate again in August. I save about $400. (Spring and summer I'm busy with yard work anyway.)

What's different about distributing Sunday Ticket to commercial venues except allowing more devices and charging them more?
As I understand it, the commercial venues won't be streaming the content like the YouTubeTV NFL Ticket folks will. The commecial venues will still access the games through DirecTV.

Our goal is to create a new model for commercial sports rights distribution around the globe, and we believe that this is just the beginning of an exciting journey," said Chang. "Creating a platform that allows commercial establishments to deliver the content that their customers desire is a significant opportunity and technology allows us to aggregate this content to a platform that can scale and evolve the viewing experience."

This is a really smart business model if they can pull it off. Get the exclusive rights and create an all in one app or platform for streaming sports at commercial venue's. So you don't have to have the bartender doing the logging in, switching apps etc like we were all joking about .

there is so much wrong here, but let me point this one out. Before the streaming options you couldn't watch that out of market team that you are a fan of. So know...i don't have mlb.tv to watch what i used to able to watch in a cable subscription. I have it because i CAN"T watch it in a cable subscription
Yea this guy is dumb. Before streaming if you lived out of your teams market you were screwed. Now you have the ability to follow any program anywhere in the country. That is a major plus. It was literally easier for me to watch Wake basketball games in Austin last season than students living on campus, because the Bally cable TV fiasco.

I think I paid like 250 or something for NFL ticket next year. That is the price of me watching 2-3 games at the bars here.

Yea this guy is dumb. Before streaming if you lived out of your teams market you were screwed. Now you have the ability to follow any program anywhere in the country. That is a major plus. It was literally easier for me to watch Wake basketball games in Austin last season than students living on campus, because the Bally cable TV fiasco.

I think I paid like 250 or something for NFL ticket next year. That is the price of me watching 2-3 games at the bars here.
100% right. it's actually harder for me to watch a Rays game than any other team in MLB

And i think Sunday ticket is so worth it. I used to go to bars to watch Jets or BEars games... spent too much money and felt lousy afterwards.

I was spoiled though... Ex-Ms. Windy worked for AT&T so we got DirectTV for $10 a mth (for 6 tvs) and Sunday Ticket for free.
Now that AT&T sold off DirectTV that gravy train has run out....but still WAAAY worth it

isn't North Carolina still fucked for MLB.TV because they consider multiple teams to be the "local" teams, but none are on local TV?

This is a really smart business model if they can pull it off. Get the exclusive rights and create an all in one app or platform for streaming sports at commercial venue's. So you don't have to have the bartender doing the logging in, switching apps etc like we were all joking about .

You are much better at understanding corporate speak than I am. I didn’t get that from those quotes at all. If you’re right, that’s a good business model.

isn't North Carolina still fucked for MLB.TV because they consider multiple teams to be the "local" teams, but none are on local TV?
MLB is so screwed up on this. there are multiple places like this. I believe in Iowa they black out Cubs, White Sox, Twins and Brewers games. something crazy like that

You are much better at understanding corporate speak than I am. I didn’t get that from those quotes at all. If you’re right, that’s a good business model.
i'll translate corporate double talk for you and you translate educational research work for me and let's call it a wash

And this is beautiful...EverPass media, the company doing this is financially backed by a company called 32 Equity. 32 Equity is the investment arm of the NFL. Basically the venture capital firm of the NFL. each team is required to contribute $5M a year in 32 Equity. some of the companies they've invested in are EverPass Media, Fanatics, NOBULL (official gear sponsor of the combine).

30% Y/Y returns. As always kids....follow the money

In the space of 10 years and three rounds of fundraising, the venture fund is now worth more than $100 million per team. That is a massive return, considering they have only invested $8 million dollars each throughout the lifetime of the fund.

$5M a year over 10 years = $8M investment?

Can you explain that?

Back