• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The High Cost To Watch Sports

This is a really smart business model if they can pull it off. Get the exclusive rights and create an all in one app or platform for streaming sports at commercial venue's. So you don't have to have the bartender doing the logging in, switching apps etc like we were all joking about .
Sports bars doing sports on TV legally get raked over the coals on pricing too, so making it "easier" for them to get their content legitimately is a key part of keeping that revenue stream strong. "Public view" bar and restaurants can't just sign up for a standard cable or streaming package, they have to buy a different plan charging for each potential viewer matching their max seating (fire code) capacity.

Clearly not every place follows the rules, but with streaming it could become possible to block streams routing through certain business internet connections. A whole new game of whack a mole for copyright holders?

That’s true. Imagine opening a sports bar today and trying to decide what packages to stream.

After last nights visit to a sports bar, I’m also reminded at how this bifurcated sports viewing world we occupy only provides more cover for those bar managers to look at you with a shrug and say, “Sorry, we don’t get that channel/game.” When it’s quite possible they do, but they don’t care to, or know how to, search for it.

I’ll say it again, a little louder for those in the back HOW BOUT NOT OPERATING WHAT YOU PURPORT TO BE A SPORTS BAR WHEN YOU ARENT CATERING TO THE PEOPLE COMING IN TO WATCH SPORTS

Sometimes it’s like the one operating the remote isn’t really a sports fan so s/he isn’t plugged in (rimshot) to what that day’s big sporting events are and therefore what patrons may be showing up to view.

Of course this sports bar was a chain, so caveat emptor, mea culpa, et cetera.

The feeling of sitting in a restaurant surrounded by 10-12 tvs, half of which are programmed to an infomercial or a cooking show, and realizing you’re the only one in the joint who cares about seeing actual live sports programming that you realize will likely not manifest during the course of your meal, is a ghastly epiphany unlike any other. I ask you, friends, is there a more perfect picture of the loneliness of postmodern man.

/rant

Yep. I went to the local sports bar to watch the second half of the Miami ACCT game. They didn’t have ACCN. I ended up watching on my laptop and paying $30 for mediocre wings, drink, fries, and tip.

BTW this thread could only have been started by @DeacWatcher

I just reread this and realized it could be misconstrued as being snarky!

My point, a DeacWatcher would be the best one to foment a discussion on the difficulties of watching the televised Deacs.

Speaking of which, it’s a good season of life right now to the watching the Deacs! Go Deacs!!

Back