• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The High Cost To Watch Sports

100% right. it's actually harder for me to watch a Rays game than any other team in MLB

And i think Sunday ticket is so worth it. I used to go to bars to watch Jets or BEars games... spent too much money and felt lousy afterwards.

I was spoiled though... Ex-Ms. Windy worked for AT&T so we got DirectTV for $10 a mth (for 6 tvs) and Sunday Ticket for free.
Now that AT&T sold off DirectTV that gravy train has run out....but still WAAAY worth it
My old roommates dad worked for DirectTV so I had all the passwords for free.

Then he had to go and fucking die on me so all the passwords expired.

The roommate died or the roommate's dad died or both?

This guy seems like a boomer that cant math or stream well.

He may be wrong on a lot of what he's saying, but Will Leitch isn't some random idiot. He started Deadspin (back when it was good) and has long been a supporter of whatever is best for sports fans (in as much as there is conflict between fans & pro sports / media).

Those who love sports will figure it out, but figuring out the necessary streaming options will be a pain in the arse, and will be expensive if you want to maximize access options.

And yeah, the MLB model using the RSNs is terrible. It's a problem here in Atlanta, as well... I cannot watch the Braves because I have YTTV. I mean, I could pay for the Bally app to get it streaming, but I tried that and it sucks.

I'd say most of the people I know around here just use somebody else's account to watch the Braves. Somebody is paying for it somewhere... And thank you to them.

Diamond Sports has the rights to the Braves through 2027, but I suspect something will change before then. Especially if the Braves try to sell the franchise in a year or two... They'll want to have better TV rights to boost the cost of acquiring the team.

MLB has, I think, recognized they need to improve this... And I am sure they will. It's just a matter of time given the length of the current contracts.

professional sports are basically going to cater to the die hards and kill off the casual/ESPN on in the background fan.

We'll see if that's a good business decision or not.

I expect we will see joint streaming/real time gambling platforms with a subscription model pop up soon.

I expect we will see joint streaming/real time gambling platforms with a subscription model pop up soon.
It's already happening. This year, FanDuel offered the NBA League package either for free or a massive discount to registered bettors. Other gambling platforms offers free livestreams of a variety of sports. Hasn't penetrated the college sports market yet, but maybe the ACC can offer the crappy games that were earmarked for Ballys to a sports gambling website for extra cash.

Stan Cotten. Best in the business. Theater of the mind. Problem solved for WF. Course I started in radio in 1970, so....

professional sports are basically going to cater to the die hards and kill off the casual/ESPN on in the background fan.

We'll see if that's a good business decision or not.

Seems like all media and entertainment is going that way. No causal is going to drop thousands for Taylor Swift tickets or $14.99 for a streaming service just because.

I agree. I enjoy a little action sometimes, but the trend of sports towards incessant wagering is over the top.
it's annoying because all prediction articles you'll see during the week are picking against the spread. just put who you think will win, I don't give a shit about that.

Being eliminated in the regional round as the number one overall seed would be peak Wake.

i agree, but not soon. The delay with streaming services right now makes RT gambling problematic. There is going to need to be some significant technology changes to get streaming closer to RT in order for this to be a reality. it's just not quite there yet

i agree, but not soon. The delay with streaming services right now makes RT gambling problematic. There is going to need to be some significant technology changes to get streaming closer to RT in order for this to be a reality. it's just not quite there yet
That's one of the shady reasons that sports gambling websites offer streaming sports to its customers. Streaming is a few ticks behind normal TV. For live betting that is a huge advantage for the books when a bettor thinks he is watching something live and the books have already adjusted a line based on something that the bettor is not aware of. Even something as small as one play in football or one at bat in baseball. Every little edge adds up over time.

Back