• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The inevitable result of a privatized prison system

We had a judge issue us a favorable ruling recently. Afterwards, he informed us that it would be nice if we would pay for his retirement painting. Normally, the painter would charge upwards of $100,000, but since the painter and the judge are friends he would do it at the completely reasonable rate of only around $50,000.

Prisons make is very easy to recreate the slavery days. All you have to do is convict somebody in a court of law and they are owned by the state or some private contractor.

That is a bit simplistic.
Is it? If you combine racial sentencing disparities, the rise of plea bargaining and associated over/wrongful sentencing, and exploitation and lack of rights experienced by prisoners, then I think it's not as hyperbolic as you'd think.

It is a bit simplistic.

I think it is despicable, but I consider it bondage more than slavery.

ETA: I do realize they are similar with subtle differences.

Last edited:
I believe the prison-industrial complex can be defeated by drug legalization, along with some tweaks to structured sentencing.

better yet, two parent households

I knew jhmd was your alias!

ETA: Problem solved, now on to imprisoning divorce attorneys.

Last edited:
better yet, two parent households

No way. There's no evidence of any nexus between supportive families and personal development. Let's keep subsidizing self-destructive behaviors on the margin and blaming some people's demographic makeup for why others don't finish high school. I mean, when the chips are down you gotta stick with proven winners first.

Back