• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

Austria election: Far-right tops first round of presidential vote
Austria's far-right Freedom Party candidate has come top in the first round of presidential elections, preliminary results show.

Norbert Hofer has about 36% of the votes for the mostly ceremonial role - not enough to avoid a run-off in May.

He is likely to face Alexander Van der Bellen, an independent contender backed by the Greens, who is polling 20%.

For the first time since World War Two, the candidates from Austria's two main parties did not make it to the run-off.

Rudolf Hundstorfer from the Social Democrats and the centre-right People's Party Andreas Kohl are each thought to have taken about 11% of the vote.

Both parties have governed Austria for decades - either alone or in coalition.

This is a big shake-up in Austrian politics, the BBC's Bethany Bell in Vienna reports, as the country has had a president from the centre-left or centre-right since 1945.

The clear victory of the far-right candidate reflects widespread discontent with the status quo, as well as concerns about immigration and the economy, our correspondent says.

Support for the Social Democrats and the People's Party has been falling in recent years.

In the last general elections in 2013, the two parties won just enough votes govern in a "grand coalition"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36124256?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

The universally acknowledged mishandling of the refugee crisis by Frau Merkel, Brussels, and the European left has virtually assured the significant strengthening of conservative parties throughout Europe. Austria is no exception.

What constitutes far right in Europe? When I was in France during the first Sarkozy election I met a ton of people who genuinely thought he was going to be the new Hitler if elected

There was an Islamic scholar on Fareed Zaccharia's show Sunday whose position on 72 virgins was great. She said that the concept of virgins is not in the Qu'ran. At the center of her comments were that those who translate "virgins" were using a language that Mohammed never spoke. In Mohammed's language, the word meant "white grapes" or "raisins".

So, if you martyr yourself, no virgins...just raisins. How pissed would you be if instead of 72 horny virgins, you only got a handful of raisins?

I Googled this and lots of Islamic scholars agree with him.

Wait.. RJ is back? I know I'm a lurker but I try to check in daily.. what gives?

eta -- never mind.. found yesterday's post.

Whether you're 'back' or not, RJ.. good to hear from you.

Last edited:
There was an Islamic scholar on Fareed Zaccharia's show Sunday whose position on 72 virgins was great. She said that the concept of virgins is not in the Qu'ran. At the center of her comments were that those who translate "virgins" were using a language that Mohammed never spoke. In Mohammed's language, the word meant "white grapes" or "raisins".

So, if you martyr yourself, no virgins...just raisins. How pissed would you be if instead of 72 horny virgins, you only got a handful of raisins?

I Googled this and lots of Islamic scholars agree with him.

Yeah, I heard the white grape theory several years ago. Apparently a gift of white grapes was quite the thing back then

she also said 72 is not in the Qu'ran. It supposedly came from some other statements from Mohammed.

she also said 72 is not in the Qu'ran. It supposedly came from some other statements from Mohammed.

there is a whole body of writings called the hadith that are very important in Islam. They are accounts from people who were very close to Muhammed and heard or saw him say or do something, and are given great weight. Many core parts of Islam are in hadith but not in the Qu'ran.

Hadith don't really have any analogue in Christianity. In Judaism it might be sort of similar to the Talmud.

If you want to engage in murderous criminal activity, then Belgium is obviously the place for you: no death penalty, no borders, keystone cops, liberal politicians, etc. And if anyone should complain about the laxity and the incompetence, then he or she will be loudly condemned for racism, hatred, xenophobia, or common sense. Shut up and "schaffen das" you vile hater. Blah, blah, blah ...

http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...eslam-brothers-planned-terror-act-since-2014/

I wonder why the vests were in English?
'Sharia police' who patrolled German city of Wuppertal in orange vests to face trial
City patrols to enforce Islamist ideals

The Salafists, who are all aged between 24 and 35, first made headlines in September 2014 after they patrolled the streets of Wuppertal, in Germany's western industrial Ruhr region, in an attempt to enforce a strict interpretation of Islam.

Wearing orange vests, emblazoned with the words "Shariah police," the defendants allegedly demanded people at nightclubs stop drinking alcohol and listening to music.

The bearded fundamentalists were also observed calling for an end to gambling as they carried notices, in English, declaring a "Sharia Controlled Zone."
http://www.dw.com/en/sharia-police-who-patrolled-german-city-of-wuppertal-in-orange-vests-to-face-trial/a-19232300

Back