• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Jim Grobe contract extension thread

If he wins 10 games, I'm all for it. If he takes 2 years to win 10 games, then dump him with time remaining. No lame ducks please. He's 61 but hasn't aged a day since the OB. There no stress at Wake. The 3 greatest stress-free jobs have to be 1) Shepherd 2) Gardener at a cemetery 3) Working for Wellman.

If installing the option and playing true freshmen returns Wake to 7+ wins per season and decent bowl games, he can coach for as long as he wants as far as I am concerned.

Been a long time since we did that and it wasn't because of the option and true freshmen.

Have heard that this may be Grobe's last season with so many starters expecting to graduate after this year.

But we all know that Rusty is the coach in waiting.

My take is that Grobe is ready to hang it up, and is positioning his assistants for life after JG. If they aren't all going to end up unemployed or at D III schools after WF, this program will need some wins over the next couple of seasons.

yeah this. With Bz suriving this year its really hard to imagine what rock bottom would be in football. couple of winless seasons in a row?

Caldwell years were rock bottom for me. I graduated before the Aloha Bowl season....so I got the dark, dismal autumns of 1995-1998. With the exception of Larue and a few others, the team had no talent. Compared to even our marginal recent squads, Caldwell teams were so slow it looked like the game was being played underwater. The linemen were just fat, slow guys with no footwork. The receivers were easy to cover while our DB's and safeties got SMOKED. Our LB's had concrete feet. It was awful. The only happy moment I remember was beating Northwestern in Winston when they were ranked. We tore down the goal posts in front of Bridger.

This. Contrary to some of the bs on here he wants to win.

I'm not buying it until I see something more than talk (we've heard talk every pre-season and post-season). It would be nice for the highly paid coach of our program to wake up from his 3-4 season long hibernation.

And I hope he wants an extension. How many of you hope that your job will end soon?

Not many unless they're in their 60s. That's the question. Does he want to retire at 64 or keep coaching? We've been assuming the former. If it is the latter, it will need to happen within the next year or so.

Wanting to win and doing enough to make that happen are different.

It's a very fine line. We were a field goal away from another trip to the ACC championship game not long ago. You can bag on the man all you want but I think Grobe is a realist. He doesn't get the players other schools do and he doesn't complain. He fields the best team he can. He spoiled most of you with the Orange Bowl. In the history of Wake football that was an aberration. After the decimation of the offensive line last year I think he's feeling pretty good about this season going all in. I'm behind the guy.

Not many unless they're in their 60s. That's the question. Does he want to retire at 64 or keep coaching? We've been assuming the former. If it is the latter, it will need to happen within the next year or so.

I'm in my sixties and I want to work until I die. Retirement is God's Waiting Room.

Hahaha. I'd retire tomorrow if I could. I live in Florida. I'm halfway there.

True. I know some tenured folks who may as well be retired. I'm gunning for our version of an extension.

Given the state of the program, I think Wellman's hand is forced. If this ends up being a 2-10, 3-9, or 4-8 season, I think Wellman has to either give Grobe a year or 2 extension or let him go. A simple vote of confidence won't be enough.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/football/spec-rel/091713aaa.html

Sept. 17, 2013

Wake Forest University Director of Athletics Ron Wellman announced today that football coach Jim Grobe has received a contract extension through the 2020-21 season.

"Jim has continued to move our football program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired over a decade ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the field, and Jim is responsible for that progress."

Grobe has compiled a record of 74-76 in his first thirteen seasons as head coach at Wake Forest. He led the Deacons to an ACC Championship and 4 bowl appearances.

Grobe was named as Wake Forest's 31st head coach on December 11, 2000, succeeding Jim Caldwell.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/football/spec-rel/091713aaa.html

Sept. 17, 2013

Wake Forest University Director of Athletics Ron Wellman announced today that football coach Jim Grobe has received a contract extension through the 2020-21 season.

"Jim has continued to move our football program forward, much as was anticipated when he was hired over a decade ago," said Wellman. "We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the field, and Jim is responsible for that progress."

Grobe has compiled a record of 74-76 in his first thirteen seasons as head coach at Wake Forest. He led the Deacons to an ACC Championship and 4 bowl appearances.

Grobe was named as Wake Forest's 31st head coach on December 11, 2000, succeeding Jim Caldwell.

Wait? Was this for real? Link doesn't work now.

Back