• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Manning Buyout

on campus facilities matter to college recruits. on Campus ARENA does not. it probably matters more in baseball where you practice where you play, and kids want a place to hang out after class before practice etc. Yet somehow we have overcome that...

it has been demonstrated that we have traditionally had a big hc advantage

Any business must fix giant liabilities. The Joel is a massive weak link. Both our homes since 1957 have been weak.

Gotta have it all to compete at this level: Great Coach, proper home court, other facilities and an NIL pot.

If you don’t have any of those 4, the results are predictable. Have to rock the boat and upset the old folks to win. Wake folks just aren’t boat rockers. It shows in their businesses too.

just remember you have to have a small top notch arena within a short walk to dorms or you’ll never win games in massive coliseums hundreds of miles from dorms in the tournament. The results from our history bear they out. The only time we made a final four, we were playing in Gore Gym Winston-Salem Memorial Coliseum.

Did he nearly blow it or just blow it with Vidovich? He peaced out for a minor league job than went right to Pitt.
He didn’t want to hire him in the first place after Chyzowych died and there were a couple dicey moments before Jay really started getting going. So he nearly blew it there at the very beginning. That’s my “nearly blew it” anyway.

By the time Vidovich left I thought it was probably best for all involved, but that is partly because of frayed AD relations, imo.

Tough to say that he blew it there because Muuss has been so good, but I also don’t think many folks saw Jay having the run he has had at Pitt — clearly a lot left in the tank.

Our arena did not hire [Redacted]. Ron Wellman hired [Redacted]. Death sentence for our bball program.

Wellman also thought soccer should stay at Kentner/Campus — didn’t see the need for Spry. Which, with all the scholly disadvantages we already had, would have all but killed recruiting. I think Spry was like, No, I’m giving this money only if you are building the stadium and Jay is the coach. Some alums/donors really stepped up there.

I was hoping you meant to say the fall and rise of Wake basketball till I considered the optimism level of the poster

As long as that documentary will cover the rise, fall, and the yet to be manifested dramatic return/resurrection of Wake bball, I’m in. Must see tv

on campus facilities matter to college recruits. on Campus ARENA does not. it probably matters more in baseball where you practice where you play, and kids want a place to hang out after class before practice etc. Yet somehow we have overcome that...
If only our baseball team had a small shitty on campus stadium

Just saying it’s a testament to what a great job they’ve done to make the facility feel like a comfortable home for our program. That’s more important than the physical location
I know. It’s just a dumb premise in general, as we all know.

Any business must fix giant liabilities. The Joel is a massive weak link. Both our homes since 1957 have been weak.

Gotta have it all to compete at this level: Great Coach, proper home court, other facilities and an NIL pot.

If you don’t have any of those 4, the results are predictable. Have to rock the boat and upset the old folks to win. Wake folks just aren’t boat rockers. It shows in their businesses too.

Or we can avoid the massive debt service on an arena and funnel that money into the actual product on the field/court.

We are 60 years into not caring about our home arena. It’ll be fine they said. Save the money they said.

There will be no 30 for 30 on the rise and fall of WF basketball. Because there was never a rise. What is the best year we’ve had since 1962? They’ve all ended in failure.

You can always tell when Currie's assistant isn't returning phone calls. Donnie 5k shows up to opine about on campus arenas and wake forest being a failure.

Last edited:
Back