• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters 2024

He was minus in Strokes Gained putting this week but great in approach. Putting still the weakness by far.

Scottie around the green was absurd.

DeCelbeau's personality has improved. He's still a narcissist and maybe on the spectrum, but at least he's friendlier and more humble than he used to be. But his chipping/pitching once again did him in. He had 2 bad decels, 1 on 15 Saturday (which was 1 of the worst shots I've ever seen a pro hit) and 1 Sunday on the front, I think 2, and those cost him 3-4 strokes. Are his sand and lob wedges still the same length as his other irons? If you're going to have all your other irons the same length, fine. But have standard lob and sand wedges.

Aberg is such a stud. He might end up being the best chance of being Scottie's equal. He and Hovland have quickly become 2 of my favorite players. Was rooting for Max but he had a bad putting weekend and had the worst bounce I've ever seen on 12 - hit the back of the green and bounded into a bush. But it's nice to see him start playing better in majors. As for Scottie, are we going to start musing about a Scottie Slam? Dude had his B game for 3.5 rounds and had the tournament in hand by the end of Amen Corner. And top 10s for Cam & Will.

As for LIV, they have some of the most talented golfers in the world, but it wasn't a great showing outside of Smith, DeCelbeau and maybe Hatton and Niemann. DJ might be the biggest waste of talent since Greg Norman. He and Rory were the biggest stars from 2010 to the beginning of LIV, and he only has 2 majors to show for it. I really think that when LIV ends in the next couple years that there will only be a few of those guys who return to relevance on the PGA tour - probably guys like Smith, DeCelbeau, Niemann, Reed and Koepka.

There were few things more predictable in sports than DJ getting fat and losing his edge after getting his big LIV payday. In his last six majors, he has one finish better than 48th. He is just another guy now.

Bryson won't ever win a place that requires the precision and shot making that Augusta does. He cannot keep up for 72 holes. He can win on a bomb and gouge course with long rough etc if all goes right. But that even seems hard for him to not make enough greenside mistakes to keep up for 72. He's shown it work once but it'll be tough to do it again.

I also think the longer these guys are on LIV, the farther they get from competing. Didn't really have any other LIV guys ever in the mix.

DeCelbeau's personality has improved. He's still a narcissist and maybe on the spectrum, but at least he's friendlier and more humble than he used to be. But his chipping/pitching once again did him in. He had 2 bad decels, 1 on 15 Saturday (which was 1 of the worst shots I've ever seen a pro hit) and 1 Sunday on the front, I think 2, and those cost him 3-4 strokes. Are his sand and lob wedges still the same length as his other irons? If you're going to have all your other irons the same length, fine. But have standard lob and sand wedges.

Aberg is such a stud. He might end up being the best chance of being Scottie's equal. He and Hovland have quickly become 2 of my favorite players. Was rooting for Max but he had a bad putting weekend and had the worst bounce I've ever seen on 12 - hit the back of the green and bounded into a bush. But it's nice to see him start playing better in majors. As for Scottie, are we going to start musing about a Scottie Slam? Dude had his B game for 3.5 rounds and had the tournament in hand by the end of Amen Corner. And top 10s for Cam & Will.

As for LIV, they have some of the most talented golfers in the world, but it wasn't a great showing outside of Smith, DeCelbeau and maybe Hatton and Niemann. DJ might be the biggest waste of talent since Greg Norman. He and Rory were the biggest stars from 2010 to the beginning of LIV, and he only has 2 majors to show for it. I really think that when LIV ends in the next couple years that there will only be a few of those guys who return to relevance on the PGA tour - probably guys like Smith, DeCelbeau, Niemann, Reed and Koepka.
Like Aberg a lot, but Hovland is grinding on me a bit. Dude's attitude is a problem at times and he decided, for some reason, to retool his swing after having one of the best non-Scheffler ball striking seasons in recent memory.

Yeah, I don't get Hovland changing his rather unique and effective swing. Maybe he's just a constant tinkerer like Padraig. His chipping needed the tinkering, but not the swing.

Bryson won't ever win a place that requires the precision and shot making that Augusta does. He cannot keep up for 72 holes. He can win on a bomb and gouge course with long rough etc if all goes right. But that even seems hard for him to not make enough greenside mistakes to keep up for 72. He's shown it work once but it'll be tough to do it again.

I also think the longer these guys are on LIV, the farther they get from competing. Didn't really have any other LIV guys ever in the mix.

All of the Top 5 were PGA players. 3 of the next 6 were LIV players. It's not like they totally shit the bed (outside of DeChambeau on his back 9 on Saturday).

I don’t get the Bryson hate. What specifically makes him so douchey?
A lot of whining and blaming in his younger years. The phony genius scientist master physicist personality he fully buys into. That he tries to act like he thinks a cool person would act but it’s so unnatural to him. His old caddy quit on him because his personality sucks. His old equipment company had to publicly admonish him for blaming his driver for his poor play. He really looked bad in his rivalry with Koepka (who, because of his appearance in Full Swing, is a redeemed douchebag in my opinion). Just a ton of things he’s done over the years (not to mention going to LIV which I am not a fan of). Maybe the second worst guy out there after Patrick Reed (who will never be outdouched).

Next year will be DeChambeau's last year at The Masters unless he finds some way to qualify.

While they likely would've qualified anyway, both Cam Young and Will Z finished in the 12; so, they have qualified for the 2025 Masters.

A lot of whining and blaming in his younger years. The phony genius scientist master physicist personality he fully buys into. That he tries to act like he thinks a cool person would act but it’s so unnatural to him. His old caddy quit on him because his personality sucks. His old equipment company had to publicly admonish him for blaming his driver for his poor play. He really looked bad in his rivalry with Koepka (who, because of his appearance in Full Swing, is a redeemed douchebag in my opinion). Just a ton of things he’s done over the years (not to mention going to LIV which I am not a fan of). Maybe the second worst guy out there after Patrick Reed (who will never be outdouched).
I'll add his frequent verbal abuse of rules officials and tourney workers as a friendly amendment.

All of the Top 5 were PGA players. 3 of the next 6 were LIV players. It's not like they totally shit the bed (outside of DeChambeau on his back 9 on Saturday).
They didn't but Hatton is very new, let's see him a year or two in. Bryson shit it, and Cam smith is prob the second best player on Liv? And he was uncompetetive, even with a good finish.

Always have been a huge Cam Smith fan. He has always played well in Augusta (5 top tens in his last 7 Masters). Just prior to joining LIV, Smith was #2 player in the World. He has continued to play well in the majors (three top 10s since joining LIV), he doesn't seem to be the same dominant threat that he was since joining LIV. Maybe it's because no one pays any attention to LIV golf events, hard to say, but he can still play.

Last edited:
They didn't but Hatton is very new, let's see him a year or two in. Bryson shit it, and Cam smith is prob the second best player on Liv? And he was uncompetetive, even with a good finish.
By my quick count, LIV had 13 golfers in the field with a total of 18 major victories since 2010 (not counting Phil's 2000s wins). That's a lot of majors, and only 2 of those guys are past their primes due to age (Phil and Charl). They did get 3 top 10s and a couple of other decent finishes (Reed and Niemann) but no real contentions and many poor finishes/missed cuts. Not a stellar showing from a lot of major champs.

Pilch, never been a Smith fan, but he has had the best short game in the world over the last 5 years or so. That's why I think he'll be 1 of the few LIV golfers who will resume top 10-20 level play when he returns.

Rahm seems pretty miserable this year, and playing pretty mediocre golf also. Couple top 5s on LIV mean nothing, the fact he hasn't won an event is kinda sad I thought he'd dominate. Maybe this will be a wake up call.

Rahm seems pretty miserable this year, and playing pretty mediocre golf also. Couple top 5s on LIV mean nothing, the fact he hasn't won an event is kinda sad I thought he'd dominate. Maybe this will be a wake up call.
I get the feeling that Rahm and Koepka hate playing for LIV (maybe Niemann too). The rest of the LIV guys are happy to collect the Saudi cash, and if it means, that they don't reach their competitive peak or sustain it, they can live with that.

123, Rahm didn't do anything on the PGA tour after his Masters win last year, of course other than help the Euros win the RC. He's in a slump, and joining LIV and only playing majors isn't going to help that.

Pilch, from what I could tell, it looked like Koepka was the only LIV guy who wasn't wearing his team uni. He had his Nike swoosh apparel.

Disappointing no one made a move on the back 9. Homa's three wood off the tee on 13 was a head-scratcher as LK noted. Scottie played great golf, but I expected more from the others on the leaderboard.

Back