• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The most perfect storm?

AWAR - the article on Oyster Creek mentions the nuclear plant like within 15 miles that sits right on the Delaware River. That thing is RIGHT next to the water and supposedly could be a risk if the River goes up like 10 feet.

I just saw that it was on alert but not really sure what that means.

I just saw that it was on alert but not really sure what that means.

Means its at the 2nd level of a 4 warning level system, but the plant had been taken offline for maintenance before Sandy even arrived, which likely helps. A huge swelling of the Deleware river seems like a big risk to me, because of the location of that nuclear plant. That empties out in the ocean and all the rainfall from PA where this thing is parking for a few days should come right down that river and into the atlantic.

Side of an apartment was blown off:

nyc-8th-ave-apartment-wall.jpg

cleveland-tub-o.gif

The wind is only 18mph here with gusts of 29mph and it's pretty loud. I can't imagine what 60+ is like!

Wind picked back up, about 40 mph. So seems like it went silent for close to 3 hours, so that would indicate about a 60 mile wide "eye-ish type thing"

Wind picked back up, about 40 mph. So seems like it went silent for close to 3 hours, so that would indicate about a 60 mile wide "eye-ish type thing"

I feel like you have an unhealthy obsession with this so called eye...

dude.

the eye is gone.

stop looking for an eye.

Seems like this thing is really moving on out of there. Good to hear for everyone. Even the SE part of the storm looks to be almost past NYC. I guess the high tide tomorrow morning won't be that much of a factor. Seems like the winds in the interior NE, river flooding, extreme amounts of snow are the main threats now as the cleanup begins after sunrise.

About 10-15 miles from the Deleware memorial bridge in Salem County NJ, no wind for the past 3+ hours so far, which to me would indicate if "in the eye" like a 60 mile wide or larger eye, which seems large to me, and why I was asking how large a typical eye would be.

It's still very calm here in Wilmington, DE...calmer than it should be. I take this to mean it won't be lasting much longer.

Looks like the worst bands on the east side of the storm are still yet to come.

Things have calmed down a little bit here in Baltimore, after about 9 hours of pounding wind between 40-50 mph and heavy rain. Have gotten about 6 inches of rain so far.

Neighbor's siding got ripped off. Guess that's what you get for starting construction then neglecting to do anything the week before a massive storm.

I feel like you have an unhealthy obsession with this so called eye...

dude.

the eye is gone.

stop looking for an eye.

Its just shocking to me that this thing was headed 100% dead for my hometown of 4,000 people and yet it seems it hasn't done much damage whatsoever. Is it unusual to be fascinated with todays events and try to understand whats going on? It's probably a once in a 500 year experience for the place I grew up.

I guess they knew the wall was going to go?

fascinating.

you can't see the first floors in the picture. Its the same place.

No way. The bottom floor you can see in the one is clearly commercial and the other is residential.

again, you can't see the first floors in the picture. Its from the second floor up. The tape in the windows and the sign on the building on the left matches everything as does the structure of the building to the right. Inside the bottom-left room that got ripped apart has the bed in the same position.

Back