• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The NC GOP Recovery

How much are people making in these jobs? Seems like Perry could be paying up to a quarter of the check.

A challenge for Toyota will be avoiding a brain drain. Nissan retained just 32% of its workforce when it relocated from the Los Angeles area to Franklin, Tenn., outside of Nashville. Many more employees returned to California after a few years, said Larry Dominique, who was the chief of U.S. product planning for Nissan at the time and now is president of Automotive Lease Guide, a unit of TrueCar In
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20140428-711142.html

Looks like the people actually like CA and their stiff regulations and taxes better than bumfuck Egypt redneck-villes like TN and TX.

Who wants to live in states that aspire to be third world countries?

More jobs for those stuck in TN though.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20140428-711142.html

Looks like the people actually like CA and their stiff regulations and taxes better than bumfuck Egypt redneck-villes like TN and TX.

it's room temperature year round, the food is amazing, you can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon, the women are smoking - people generally can't quit it. The cost of living suxors though. that's a little bit due to taxes but much more due to the extreme cost of housing.

You mean some people, right?

Right. I work for a San Diego based company. It's amazing when I visit, but when I run the numbers they would need to give me a 35-40% raise to get me to move out there and maintain my standard of living, which ain't happening. CA is awesome but the COL is ridiculous.

The COL is high because...

it's room temperature year round, the food is amazing, you can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon, the women are smoking - people generally can't quit it.

it's room temperature year round, the food is amazing, you can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon, the women are smoking - people generally can't quit it. The cost of living suxors though. that's a little bit due to taxes but much more due to the extreme cost of housing.

yes I have been there many times it is beautiful and temperate and that makes it desirable and drives up housing costs.

But do you not believe that Californians enjoy a higher standard of living in terms of services and infrastructure than Texas and Tennessee? Is there not more growth (as shown by your graphs)? Better health care, education, etc?

yes I have been there many times it is beautiful and temperate and that makes it desirable and drives up housing costs.

But do you not believe that Californians enjoy a higher standard of living in terms of services and infrastructure than Texas and Tennessee? Is there not more growth (as shown by your graphs)? Better health care, education, etc?

I would have to do more research on that. I haven't spent any time at all in Texas and very little in Tennessee. Offhand I would say the CA university system is far superior to Tennessee and probably ahead of Texas. Infrastructure, I don't know. Both Texas and California are facing very serious water issues but most of that (in my uneducated opinion) is not based so much on government policies as on the simple laws of geography that say that many humans should not be trying to live in such a dry climate.

ETA: I am confident, without bothering to research it, that in California it is much easier for the poor to qualify for Medicaid and that the coverage is more generous than in either TX or TN. I would also guess that TANF and SNAP benefits are also more generous in CA. So in those ways, yes I am confident that some Californians receive higher levels of government services than similarly situated folks in TX and TN.

Last edited:
I am too.

Id go as far as to say Texas gives away millions of dollars to companies for a few thousand jobs, and it is heralded as a win and jhmd chubs up. California charges a lot to live there and spends more on taking care of its citizens and its environment and it is considered a loser and a bad idea.

Anyone else see how fucked up that is?

Back