• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Now Official Wake Forest v. NC State Game Thread

Did we attempt a pass on 1st down ???

Exactly, we throwaway our first downs every series by always running up the middle, hell even as dumb as Doreen is he knew that was what we were going to do every time

Those complaining about the offense and play calling realize we put up 42 tonight right? Yes 7 were on D but still. Were there weird play calls at the end especially? Yes. But this was 100% on the D. And those bitching about the punter do realize that was the backup right?

1-9... get used to it. Ungood! ND will not let up like CU did. Could be historic. We had another good 3-4 year Run. Always seems like complacency sets in for our coaches once they have a little success here. Maybe b-ball will surprise and give us all a diversion from thinking about the next fall rebuild.

After getting pummeled last week and the 1st half of today’s game, Navy decided to pull their heads out of their asses and remembered how to play football in the 2nd half. Wish Wake would take a hint.

State may make a jump this season much like Duke has demonstrated vs N.D. Doeren hasn't had many bad seasons at State. I look for returning players to have improved. I predict State will try to pound us with their RBs and OL returning. They won't pass much, especially if rainy, which will put Leary in better position to kill us with long throws.

Weren't we missing most of starting DL vs Clemson?

They did pound us on the ground. Accurate.

Spotted them 14 at the beginning of each half. Absolutely unacceptable! State sucks, but that defense was division 2 horse shit.

No one ever expected Wake to have a winning season this year but very impressive play and heart from the team despite their underwhelming defensive play and poor coaching.

We didn’t know who the starter would be at QB for St8te and had little idea what their new OC would do. Given that, If we have any freshman linebackers we need to use them and recruit better linebackers.

Those complaining about the offense and play calling realize we put up 42 tonight right? Yes 7 were on D but still. Were there weird play calls at the end especially? Yes. But this was 100% on the D. And those bitching about the punter do realize that was the backup right?

Did not know he was filling in. Takes guts from the kid! He certainly didn’t cost us this game.

I'd like to live in the alternate universe where we gave Clark Lea the DC job to prevent him from following Elko to Notre Dame.

Maybe we offered and he turned it down, who knows, but losing those two dudes from our staff really hurt. Soon as we figured things out offensively and upgraded the talent on that side of the ball the defense went to complete shit

Horrible play calling at the end, Hartman holding the ball too long, and not having both Morin and Roberson on the field at the same time hurt us. Greene injury really hurt. State does have a good OL and three good running backs. Having to face a new OC with no game film was tough and we never adjusted. Must play AJ Williams and other fast guys more because Masterson is too slow to play safety. Our new LB coach has no experience and it shows. Looks like Clawson likes to keep the staff in the family and hasn’t gone outside the program for a new defensive coach since the Saywell debacle.

This feels a lot like the Louisville game last year. Somehow staying in a game that should not have been competitive.

I'd like to live in the alternate universe where we gave Clark Lea the DC job to prevent him from following Elko to Notre Dame.

Maybe we offered and he turned it down, who knows, but losing those two dudes from our staff really hurt. Soon as we figured things out offensively and upgraded the talent on that side of the ball the defense went to complete shit

I've always assumed Lea turned down an offer. That makes the most sense. It's a no-brainer for Clawson to offer him and it's a no-brainer for Lea to take the LB job at ND instead.

I certainly disagree it's a no brainer to take an LB job over a DC one, particularly when it's two "power five" programs. I imagine he was gonna make more money in that role at ND than he would've as our DC though.

He impressed Kelly enough for him to internally promote him when Elko left, I just hope Dave at least made the attempt

Last edited:
This feels a lot like the Louisville game last year. Somehow staying in a game that should not have been competitive.

The difference in the Louisville game was the special team shitshow took the spotlight off another defensive failure.

Not the case tonight.

But I agree Wake had zero business being in either game deep into the 4th qtr.

The defense doesn't have enough speed to protect the perimeter. They over pursue to compensate and get burned by misdirection. When they spread, State opened holes. State won this game on the ground so convincingly Wake's lousy pass defense was a secondary weakness. Shit show.

The offense scored 35 points. That should get a win. One turnover and three penalties for 15 yards should get a win. Six sacks (?) hurt. CBS had a nice 31 yard gain. His other twelve carries netted eight yards. Add Sam's nine carries for -21 yards and you have 21 plays going in the wrong direction. Big difference from last year. Sam was sharp on short and medium passes. He came up short on his deep passes.

Last edited:
Coming up short on the deep passes aided by the most unwilling refs ever to call PI, which hurt us more than it hurt State. If this was an NFL game they would've called it at least five times

Back