• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Now Official Wake Forest v. NC State Game Thread

We just lost to a crappy State team led by effing Bailey Hockman. This season looks extremely bleak already. Maybe we can get a few wins somewhere. State was probably one of the 3 easiest games on the schedule. Big yikes.

Offense was B to B+. Too many sacks, under thrown balls to wide open receivers, but we put up points and Hartman looks good, Walker is outstanding (which I mostly expected him to be based on last season). RPO isn't really Sam's forte but we moved the ball a lot, so maybe we just live with it. Although when Clawson came in he said he didn't have an offensive philosophy but would change to suit strengths of personnel. I haven't seen us change or be creative on offense which is disappointing. But hard to be too critical of offense.

Defense is terrible at every level. No talent, no toughness, no energy, and no fucking idea what we're doing.

Punting is just a fucking clown show. No other words. The local Pop Warner league punters average more per punt than we do.

You know what's a good idea when you have little talent and depth on defense? To run the clock and limit the number if defensive snaps you face. Clawson's inability to understand this is his biggest flaw.

And on a personal note I'm sick of spending 4.5 hours to watch us give up 40-50 points.

The only criticism I saw with Sam was the hangs on to the ball too long like he has the Patriots blocking for him. I'd like to get him out in space a bit, but he is going to have to be 1-2-3-4 and throw it away if he doesn't have anyone. And like I said, the toss up pass worked in the past, for various reasons (including referees allowing our receivers to be mugged) the comeback just isn't working. If we have guys who can get separation Sam is going to have to learn to get rid of it earlier and put it out over the top and let our guys go get it.

The only criticism I saw with Sam was the hangs on to the ball too long like he has the Patriots blocking for him. I'd like to get him out in space a bit, but he is going to have to be 1-2-3-4 and throw it away if he doesn't have anyone. And like I said, the toss up pass worked in the past, for various reasons (including referees allowing our receivers to be mugged) the comeback just isn't working. If we have guys who can get separation Sam is going to have to learn to get rid of it earlier and put it out over the top and let our guys go get it.

Anybody that thinks Sam isn't a step down from Newman needs to read the above. Sam is good, Newman was better for our offense and our suspect line play.

You know what's a good idea when you have little talent and depth on defense? To run the clock and limit the number if defensive snaps you face. Clawson's inability to understand this is his biggest flaw.

And on a personal note I'm sick of spending 4.5 hours to watch us give up 40-50 points.

Yep. We let State margin down the field to score 7 in 5 plays then only took 1:17 off the clock in 4 plays before giving the ball right back.

The obsession with tempo just doesn’t work with our defense.

Glad that I didn't piss away $179 for the virtual ticket with teams hanging 5+ TD's on us every week. :mad:

Yep. We let State margin down the field to score 7 in 5 plays then only took 1:17 off the clock in 4 plays before giving the ball right back.

I feel like we could just execute it better. I like the idea of preventing opponents from making defensive substitutions during a drive. But we can still eat up clock doing so. Just hustle up to the ball as soon as it's spotted and then look for the play to come in and take our time snapping the ball. As long as we don't simulate a snap or movement the whole team can stand there relaxed for 20 seconds while we get the play in. But it will keep the defense from substituting which I think is a huge advantage over a drive.

Also, there are about one to two times a drive where we should get up on the line and just go, maybe catch the defense off guard. But like I said, only under favorable conditions a time or two a drive.

I think we can have the best of both worlds. But agree completely the benefits are not outweighing the costs right now.

Nothing wrong with going uptempo in the right spots, but there's seem to be a trend of "we're going to play fast, just to play fast." Vary the tempo, if you make a big play and have momentum, up the tempo. You give up points and your defense is worn down, slow the tempo. Reminds me of when Danny Manning would say "we want to play fast." I don't ever remember him saying, we want to play smart.

It could be our new gimmick, hurry up and wait offense. I mean sprint up to the ball every time it's spotted and make the defense scramble, then just chill. And every once in a while just have a "go" play that's predetermined and on first sound.

What we're doing now never catches the defense off guard but still leads to 2 minute possessions.

We should just go back with the 5 foot wide splits on the Oline lol. Throw the defense a curve ball like Grobe did after that hilarious triple option stupidity in his final season.

Some good thoughts here.
Was it last year, or year before, Clawson had his daughter with a stop watch to hold up play in order to give the defense a minimum time to rest? Also, just become more un-predictable in play calls, tempo, etc. Assume he thinks the defense is good enough not to need that, this year.

After Saturday's game, I doubt Clawson thinks the defense is the strength of this team. Stubborn maybe, but not stupid.

This was essentially an 8 game schedule for us this year. 2 clear losses (Clemson, ND) and 1 clear win (Campbell). So we are now essentially 1-3 with 7 games remaining. 4 outta 7 are currently ranked. Three toss up games vs UVA, Duke and Cuse. Doesn't look good. That was a horrible loss Saturday. Maybe we can somehow reach 5 wins and salvage something out of this strange and difficult season.

Some good thoughts here.
Was it last year, or year before, Clawson had his daughter with a stop watch to hold up play in order to give the defense a minimum time to rest? Also, just become more un-predictable in play calls, tempo, etc. Assume he thinks the defense is good enough not to need that, this year.

That was the end of the 2018 season.

Back