• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Now Official Wake Forest v. NC State Game Thread

Sam looks to me to be a pretty solid QB. I don't know if this offense is the best fit for his skillset but he's got the talent and ability to be an above average ACC quarterback. Agreed it's hard to criticize the offense given how bad the defense is. They're not even close to being competitive IMO

I didn't read through the thread so I'm sure this came up but damn Walker is a stud. A legitimate RB with talent.

Greene’s potential is through the roof, but he’s still adjusting to contact on deep balls. Maybe he can make a huge leap from his second to third years like Sage. It doesn’t help that he gets doubled most plays. His vertical threat and double teams open up things for the slot though.

Sam looks to me to be a pretty solid QB. I don't know if this offense is the best fit for his skillset but he's got the talent and ability to be an above average ACC quarterback. Agreed it's hard to criticize the offense given how bad the defense is. They're not even close to being competitive IMO

I agree with this. I'm not sure he's an RPO guy. I think he's a gunslinger who can get the ball out quickly and make plays out of the pocket. I think Ruggiero is trying to make him something he's not. The QB draw call made that clear. He's a scrambler not a runner.

Greene’s potential is through the roof, but he’s still adjusting to contact on deep balls. Maybe he can make a huge leap from his second to third years like Sage. It doesn’t help that he gets doubled most plays. His vertical threat and double teams open up things for the slot though.

His skill set is different than Sage and Scotty. Wake needs to STOP UNDER THROWING the damn ball on his deep routs. He has his man beat by two steps and has to stop and come back. With Sage and Scotty you wanted a jump ball scenario, because they won 75% of them. Donnie is fast, so hit him in stride. He can still make a circus catch here and there, but every catch shouldn’t have to be a jump ball.

Beal Smith might be the best pass protection running back this side of the Mississippi, but he can’t carry Walker’s jock strap as a ball carrier.

His skill set is different than Sage and Scotty. Wake needs to STOP UNDER THROWING the damn ball on his deep routs. He has his man beat by two steps and has to stop and come back. With Sage and Scotty you wanted a jump ball scenario, because they won 75% of them. Donnie is fast, so hit him in stride. He can still make a circus catch here and there, but every catch shouldn’t have to be a jump ball.

Agree. He can outrun the CBs. But if it is under thrown, he needs to sell the PI (i.e. the equivalent of a Duke charge flop in basketball).

Agree. He can outrun the CBs. But if it is under thrown, he needs to sell the PI (i.e. the equivalent of a Duke charge flop in basketball).

Throw it as far as you can and let him go get it. The hell with the refs bailing you out. I’ve been a Wake fan long enough to know that 95% of the time it won’t happen. He continues to beat his man and then has to stop and wait on the ball. It seems to be a strategy. Jamie and Sam both do it. They throw these beautiful, perfect, high jump balls. That’s great for Sage and Scotty, but it’s not as effective for Greene and Perry. Lead the freakin receiver.

Agree

How do you call a QB draw on 3rd and 7 and not give it to Walker, then a pass across the middle on 4th and receiver not even past the chains. I swear i saw Grobe staring blankly at the scoreboard after that sequence.

Walker reminds me a little of Walter Payton. He falls ahead for three yards every time even on bad plays.

The QB draw on 3rd and 7 was just a baffling play call. Maybe that was the point, to catch the defense off guard. But woof.

Back to back weeks with non calls on obvious PI that killed the drive.

Did not know he was filling in. Takes guts from the kid! He certainly didn’t cost us this game.

I am really not sure what game you were watching, but the punter was Ivan Mora. He is the starting punter according to the depth chart Les tweeted out earlier this week and he is the same punter who played against Clemson last week. The backup punter listed on the depth chart is Zach Murphy and he did not punt last night. Murphy is listed as the starting holder which is different from previous years when Dom Maggio both punted and held for field goals and extra points.

I am really not sure what game you were watching, but the punter was Ivan Mora. He is the starting punter according to the depth chart Les tweeted out earlier this week and he is the same punter who played against Clemson last week. The backup punter listed on the depth chart is Zach Murphy and he did not punt last night. Murphy is listed as the starting holder which is different from previous years when Dom Maggio both punted and held for field goals and extra points.

Yep. Last week placekicker sucked and this week the punter.

And separately PI is just fine if playing Wake, apparently.

Wasn’t it last year that Clawson fired the DC after a few bad early season performances? Apparently the defensive problems are greater than that DC.

The ACC screwed us with our schedule. More than likely next Saturday afternoon we’ll be 0-3. Original schedule, we’d be looking at 3-0 after ODU, App, and Villanova. At this point if Clawson finds 5 wins, he should be ACC coach of the year. Only sure thing I see is Campbell.

The ACC screwed us with our schedule. More than likely next Saturday afternoon we’ll be 0-3. Original schedule, we’d be looking at 3-0 after ODU, App, and Villanova. At this point if Clawson finds 5 wins, he should be ACC coach of the year. Only sure thing I see is Campbell.

With this defense, App would be a toss up at best.

Back