• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The offense

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Is this the best we can do? We have a talented freshman QB, two good young TEs, one good WR (Crump) , no speed to stretch the field or go wide, no talented RBs, and a line that starts a true freshman and two sophomores at center and guards. Do we need to play Grobe ball - not turn it over and hope the defense can create turnovers , score and keep the games close ? We sure can't out score many teams . This is hard to watch . Is the scheme we are running maximizing the limited talent we have? The play calling had been vanilla , perhaps because the coaches font want to overload a freshman QB. I would love to see some orbit sweeps with Johnny Armstrong or Orville and some trick plays like Grobe used early in his career. I do commend the defense for playing its butts off and the coaches and team for competing very hard .

The only starter we lost on the OL form last year was Steve Chase. The four other guys who brought the worse running game in the BCS have given us the worse running game in D-1. I make the call and say that Nick Tabacca has seven games left in his Wake stint. He's made a bad situation worse.

How does this space before punctuation stuff start? Is this a typewriter thing? Regional distinction?

The only starter we lost on the OL form last year was Steve Chase. The four other guys who brought the worse running game in the BCS have given us the worse running game in D-1. I make the call and say that Nick Tabacca has seven games left in his Wake stint. He's made a bad situation worse.

Maybe, but as bad as we were last year we started a senior qb and had Camp destroying secondaries out there. Can't compare the situations. I remember thinking last year Camp was all we had. When I imagined our offense without him, this is pretty much what I imagined.

Maybe, but as bad as we were last year we started a senior qb and had Camp destroying secondaries out there. Can't compare the situations. I remember thinking last year Camp was all we had. When I imagined our offense without him, this is pretty much what I imagined.

Also no Martin and Harris in the backfield.

This year is a wash. Clawson is implementing a system to win next year and the year after, he's not going to scrap the whole thing to eke out a couple more touchdowns this year.

Not rendering a judgement on Tabaca, but worth noting that he had never worked with Clawson before here.

Speaking of John Armstrong, what is his situation? Dog house, grades, injury?

Not rendering a judgement on Tabaca, but worth noting that he had never worked with Clawson before here.

I have no idea how good a coach Tabaca is, but I do know that when you've had an offensive line that has struggled for years, I don't think it's realistic to expect a guy to come in and fix the problems in one season, much less 5 games. Clawson had a quote in the a journal article yesterday I think that was something like, "frankly we have better players on defense than we do offense right now." In other words, the prior staff did a horrid job of recruiting the offensive side of the ball, especially up front and it's going to take time to fix it.

I'm sorry, but what were people expecting this season? Wasn't the reasonable expectation that Wake would be awful for at least a couple more seasons before things even start to turn around? For comparisons sake, how did Cutcliffe do at Duke his first few seasons?

I'm sorry, but what were people expecting this season? Wasn't the reasonable expectation that Wake would be awful for at least a couple more seasons before things even start to turn around? For comparisons sake, how did Cutcliffe do at Duke his first few seasons?

he had losing records his first five years. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/david-cutcliffe-1.html

James Franklin turned Vandy around a lot quicker. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/vanderbilt/

Not saying either of those are perfect matches for the situation at Wake. I fully expected this year to be a disaster offensively. it would be a disaster no matter who was coaching with a sorry O line, a frosh QB, and no P5 level skill players. Grobe left the offensive cupboard completely bare and I give Clawson and all his coaches a complete pass on offense this year. He just doesn't have anything to work with.

The weekly ESPN game video snippets continue to be ugly. There's one from last Sat that's particularly sad....#65 not only getting pancaked but then getting rolled over backwards on the ground. I can't remember ever seeing that.

I don't know why after 5 games these guys can't get lower leverage and attempt to get under their opponents chin straps....they continue to be way too upright with zero balance.

The weekly ESPN game video snippets continue to be ugly. There's one from last Sat that's particularly sad....#65 not only getting pancaked but then getting rolled over backwards on the ground. I can't remember ever seeing that.

I don't know why after 5 games these guys can't get lower leverage and attempt to get under their opponents chin straps....they continue to be way too upright with zero balance.

If Tabaca is truly not trying to get the guys to do those things, then yeah he needs to go. However, considering he's got Clawson and the OC looking over his shoulder, I can't imagine he's not teaching those basics to our O-linemen.

he had losing records his first five years. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/david-cutcliffe-1.html

James Franklin turned Vandy around a lot quicker. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/vanderbilt/

Not saying either of those are perfect matches for the situation at Wake. I fully expected this year to be a disaster offensively. it would be a disaster no matter who was coaching with a sorry O line, a frosh QB, and no P5 level skill players. Grobe left the offensive cupboard completely bare and I give Clawson and all his coaches a complete pass on offense this year. He just doesn't have anything to work with.

Exactly. People need to enjoy their tailgating, get rip roaring hammered and just swallow the bitter pill that having patience with a new staff is going to be.

Exactly. People need to enjoy their tailgating, get rip roaring hammered and just swallow the bitter pill that having patience with a new staff is going to be.

Personally I'm just trying to enjoy things like watching our defense play hard and pretty well given the circumstances the offense creates, watching guys like Weaver, Centers and Kinal do a good job on special teams and actually having a head coach that looks really involved in what is going on. Amazingly, as putrid as the offense had been, we've yet to go to the 4th quarter of a game we weren't in yet. In all probability that changes Saturday, but it is amazing when you think about it. Of course the competition is better from here on out.

We should probably just win games. Someone needs to call into the radio show, and recommend that we win.

We should probably just win games. Someone needs to call into the radio show, and recommend that we win.

I think that will come, we'll just got to give the new staff time. It sucks I know, I don't like it, I want us to be good and go to bowl games, but it's going to take time. I think Clawson is the real deal, I've never felt this good about a new coach that I can remember. Even when Grobe came, I never thought he'd do as well as he did, even with the last 5 years.

I think that will come, we'll just got to give the new staff time. It sucks I know, I don't like it, I want us to be good and go to bowl games, but it's going to take time. I think Clawson is the real deal, I've never felt this good about a new coach that I can remember. Even when Grobe came, I never thought he'd do as well as he did, even with the last 5 years.

You can feel all warm and fuzzy over Clawson you want, but he'll never come close to the success that Jim Grobe had here. Wake Forest can't compete against the rest of the ACC except for the once in a century miracle season. You dumbasses keep dreaming!

How does this space before punctuation stuff start? Is this a typewriter thing? Regional distinction?

Very important question . I look forward to fellow board members providing help to those of us afflicted with punctuation space syndrome .

Back