• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The offense

I think that will come, we'll just got to give the new staff time. It sucks I know, I don't like it, I want us to be good and go to bowl games, but it's going to take time. I think Clawson is the real deal, I've never felt this good about a new coach that I can remember. Even when Grobe came, I never thought he'd do as well as he did, even with the last 5 years.

I mean, the coaches just need to decide to score more touchdowns, and then do it. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

You can feel all warm and fuzzy over Clawson you want, but he'll never come close to the success that Jim Grobe had here. Wake Forest can't compete against the rest of the ACC except for the once in a century miracle season. You dumbasses keep dreaming!

Guilty dreamer as charged! In Claws we trust!

I mean, the coaches just need to decide to score more touchdowns, and then do it. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Reminiscent of Grobe's "We'll win when they're tired of losing" comments.

It seems there are some here who really do believe that the only problem the last staff had was playcalling, and that getting a new "competent" regime in here would solve that issue. Recruiting and development have always been Grobe's biggest weaknesses. If those weren't weaknesses I doubt we'd have seen all the goofy schemes Lobo came up with to mask them.

The bad about the offense:
1) Everything;
2) The offensive line that is playing are getting destroyed by most DLs they face, and are completely incapable of handling blitzes and stunts;
3) Our WRs have trouble creating separation in short spaces- when the opposing teams crowd the line, we don't do a great job of creating space off the release;
4) Our WRs haven't helped out the QB by making plays- either catching difficult balls or making somebody miss and getting extra yardage after the catch;
5) Our RBs have not shown much ability to help in the passing game- they have no shot running the ball with the line being what it is;
6) Our QB's biggest problem seems to be his inability to feel the pass rush and understand how to buy time and create throwing lanes by moving in the pocket; and
7) Our coaches seem incapable of attacking the edges of the defense- we haven't called one jet sweep, orbit run, or bubble screen the entire season that I can remember, nor do I think we have even called a toss sweep or outside zone.

I don't think much of 1-6 is going to change this year. The coaches need to implement more of number 7, not just for this year, but going forward.

The good about the offense:
1. The QB is a relatively accurate thrower with the necessary arm strength to make the throws he needs to make;
2. The QB, when he has had time, seems to be able to understand what each play is trying to do, and seems to be able to get through his progressions; and
3. The TE has been a solid receiver with some hint of big-play skills.

I said before the season that we would suck donkey cock on offense, and we have. I also said I thought I could see whether the offensive system made sense, whether or not the players were executing that system in a successful way. Through 5 games, I am relatively concerned with the system itself. I appreciate the fact that Coach Clawson and Coach Ruggerio have a plan in place- this is not a Coach Lobotzke offense that changes styles every 3rd game- but I am concerned about how that plan will work over the long haul. The offensive coaching staff seems to be in love with the middle of the field, both in terms of running the ball and in calling a lot of crossing routes and shallow drags in the passing game. I haven't seen much creativity in play-calling, pre-snap motion, or formations. We use the WR stack formations several times a game, but have only run anything taking advantage of those formations once or twice. Nothing else we do is new or different or challenges the defense to think.

I feel confident that Clawson will amass enough talent to make Wake a bowl team in 2016. I think the player development will ultimately be fine as well. But I think you don't have to look very hard to find offenses that are effective almost independent of the talent level on the team, and I don't think this staff is capable of creating such an offense.

Last edited:
Claws has just been sandbagging the offense so far this season. Watch out #1 F$U! The Deacs are coming!

I think the play calling gets an incomplete so far. It's impossible to judge because we can't call anything due to such a bad line and overall not much talent on offense. Next week is a really good time for a bye. I think we can win some games in the second half of the season.

An old wake forest lineman tells me that he is perplexed by the way that we line up. We line up in a passing stance without a hand on the ground. It should help pass blocking but hurts the run game. We can't fire off the ball and block for the run from there.

This is probably over simplistic, but why can't we just run three step quick slants/curls/screens all game?

I realize that this isn't NCAA Football, but our plays are seemingly playing into what we do poorly (I.e. Blocking) rather than what we do well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember back in the 70's my friend's little brother got an Intellivision. Me and him, man, we took that thing over. We played Intellivision Football non-stop for months. I only had one play. I'd have my receiver do a down and out to the right, and I'd roll out my QB to the right. If the defense went for the pass, I'd run for 6-7 yards. If they went for the run, I'd throw to the receiver for 10-15 yards. Every time. It was unstoppable, literally. Once I came up with that play, I never lost. The only challenge was running enough other filler plays so my dumbass friend wouldn't figure it out.

Why can't Clawson just do that?

Last edited:
An old wake forest lineman tells me that he is perplexed by the way that we line up. We line up in a passing stance without a hand on the ground. It should help pass blocking but hurts the run game. We can't fire off the ball and block for the run from there.

That is a good point and I think it's a product of the current fascination with the spread offenses in college now and the zone blocking schemes. Honestly it's getting to the point in college that if you want to run a "different" type offense that other teams might have trouble preparing for, you can run the old I formation power running game, kind of like teams have trouble preparing for the option teams.

That's what I've been wanting considering the good fortune we tend to have recruiting FBs and TEs.

That is a good point and I think it's a product of the current fascination with the spread offenses in college now and the zone blocking schemes. Honestly it's getting to the point in college that if you want to run a "different" type offense that other teams might have trouble preparing for, you can run the old I formation power running game, kind of like teams have trouble preparing for the option teams.

That's what I've been wanting considering the good fortune we tend to have recruiting FBs and TEs.

No, no, and hell no. We don't have (and won't get) the linemen necessary to be good in a power I formation. We'd have to be able to recruit nationally like Stanford to make that work.

The easiest way to make up for a lack of offensive line is through a true spread system. Make the defense defend from sideline-to-sideline, use motion, shifts, and formation to create favorable matchups with your skill players against guys who can't cover them, and get as many defenders outside of the box as possible. Create situations where if your player wins a one on one matchup, you get an explosive play. Put the defenders in situations where they make mistakes in coverage or alignment- again allowing for explosive plays.

But don't try and lineup mano-a-mano and win when you are at Wake Forest.

No, no, and hell no. We don't have (and won't get) the linemen necessary to be good in a power I formation. We'd have to be able to recruit nationally like Stanford to make that work.

The easiest way to make up for a lack of offensive line is through a true spread system. Make the defense defend from sideline-to-sideline, use motion, shifts, and formation to create favorable matchups with your skill players against guys who can't cover them, and get as many defenders outside of the box as possible. Create situations where if your player wins a one on one matchup, you get an explosive play. Put the defenders in situations where they make mistakes in coverage or alignment- again allowing for explosive plays.

But don't try and lineup mano-a-mano and win when you are at Wake Forest.

Then why don't the service academies do that? The spread is losing it's effectiveness as a "equalizer" type offense because so many teams run it and so many teams know how to defend it. Of course no where in my post do I see that I suggested we utilize the power I running game, merely that is it becoming a rare offense.

We can run the option, the I formation, the shotgun, the spread option, the traditional spread, or even peanut butter spread and it isn't going to make a difference. When will you dim wits realize we can't compete at this level of college football!

Meh...the yard needs mowing this weekend. 3:30 should be a good time to start.

You know , I hate to say it , but I really , really , like my space key.

Back