• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The offense

SIG, you're right about using the spread. What kills us is that even our big receivers don't get open just 6 yds downfield. Cam got crushed over the middle vs L'ville. The 3rd qtr against USU was the only time our coaching adjustment seemed to workout.

Then why don't the service academies do that? The spread is losing it's effectiveness as a "equalizer" type offense because so many teams run it and so many teams know how to defend it. Of course no where in my post do I see that I suggested we utilize the power I running game, merely that is it becoming a rare offense.

Service academies run the option (although Air Force runs more of a spread-option) because it is easier to get guys into the military who can run the ball than it is to get guys who can catch the ball. It is also easier to get a QB to run the ball at the academies than it is to get a good passer. Wake doesn't have a problem recruiting a solid QB- we have had at least one on campus since 2001. We don't really have trouble finding WRs- we have had numerous good ones over the years. We could run the spread should we ever get a coach who chooses to run it.

I would disagree with the idea that the spread is losing its effectiveness- 12 out of the top 20 teams in total offense in 2014 are running some version of it (including talent-rich teams like Buffalo, State, Washington State, and MTSU). 13 out of the top 20 teams in 2013 ran a version of the spread. It is still the best way to beat a team when you have a deficit at OL.

Yeah, I remember back in the 70's my friend's little brother got an Intellivision. Me and him, man, we took that thing over. We played Intellivision Football non-stop for months. I only had one play. I'd have my receiver do a down and out to the right, and I'd roll out my QB to the right. If the defense went for the pass, I'd run for 6-7 yards. If they went for the run, I'd throw to the receiver for 10-15 yards. Every time. It was unstoppable, literally. Once I came up with that play, I never lost. The only challenge was running enough other filler plays so my dumbass friend wouldn't figure it out.

Why can't Clawson just do that?

THIS is what I'm talking about. You just do it.

This is probably over simplistic, but why can't we just run three step quick slants/curls/screens all game?

I realize that this isn't NCAA Football, but our plays are seemingly playing into what we do poorly (I.e. Blocking) rather than what we do well.

You can say that again...:koolaid:

Back