• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Bryce Harper got ejected from a spring training game today for arguing an out call at first base

JeffWilson_FWST: #Rangers name rotation: Tanner Scheppers, Martin Perez, Robbie Ross, Joe Saunders and Nick Martinez.

Bryce Harper got ejected from a spring training game today for arguing an out call at first base

It didn't even really look like arguing. He said something on his way to the dugout as he was walking by the umpire and got tossed.

These two things were in Jonah Keri's Phillies preview and I thought they were pretty good

jimmy-rollins.gif

Worst-case scenario: GM Ruben Amaro Jr. signs a 10-year contract extension.

it's so much fun they are crazy in their own ways i am going to teach them what stats are aceeight is like rj but not as anti-stats

I would apologize for wasting your time, but it seems it was mine that was wasted. I really didn't see this coming. Hopefully Bud won't see this or i will get a big time I told ya so. Is this really fun for you guys?

I would apologize for wasting your time, but it seems it was mine that was wasted. I really didn't see this coming. Hopefully Bud won't see this or i will get a big time I told ya so. Is this really fun for you guys?
It is all good natured fun. I hope you feel the same.

Trivia: Name the veteran who led the American League with 40 home runs in 1985 in his second season after joining the Tigers as a free agent.

I had to look this one up. I was thinking of a Tiger who was number 700 in the 1987 Topps card set that young me didn't recognize (which was odd since usually bigr stars were every 100) and thought it was this guy, but it was actually Dave Bergman (card 700).

The answer was Darrell Evans.

Today's seems just ridiculously challenging. Who was the first major leaguer born in Puerto Rico?

I thought it might be Cecil but was off a few years.

In his second at-bat of the afternoon, Harper grounded an Adam Wainwright sinker to second base. He sprinted down the line and arrived at almost the same time as Mark Ellis’s thrown. Gosney called him out. Harper trotted past Gosney on his way back to the dugout.

Harper muttered something as he passed Gosney. It was not clear if Harper was expressing frustration at himself or anger with the call.

“But evidently the umpire thought he was addressing it to him,” Williams said, “so that’s why he took the action he did.”

I guess we'll never know.

Once Gosney tossed Harper, Williams continued the animus with the umpires. Third base coach CB Bucknor instructed Harper to leave the Nationals’ dugout, which is standard after an ejection. At Roger Dean Stadium, there is no tunnel from dugout to clubhouse – Harper needed to walk in foul ground down the left field line, though an opening in the fence.

Well that's awkward.

Once Gosney tossed Harper, Williams continued the animus with the umpires. Third base coach CB Bucknor instructed Harper to leave the Nationals’ dugout, which is standard after an ejection. At Roger Dean Stadium, there is no tunnel from dugout to clubhouse – Harper needed to walk in foul ground down the left field line, though an opening in the fence.

Well that's awkward.

I caught that on a highlights show last night, either CSN or Sportscenter I guess....looked hilarious.

There is a very interesting twitter back and forth going on between Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) and Craig Calcaterra (@craigcalcaterra) this morning about Puig and his media critics and the role race plays into it.

I kind of lean toward the Calcaterra opinion that Puig is unfairly picked on, and i think there is a kind of implicit racism similar to how scouts might traditionally describe a black player as naturally gifted and a white player as "scrappy" or a gym rat.

Back