• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2014-15 MLB Offseason/HOT STOVE Thread

Astros' "deep" farm system just got pillaged in the Rule 5 draft. Lost 3 players, one of which has zero chance to stick on a MLB roster (Gustave to Boston).

Red Sox sign Justin Masterson. Keep stacking dem 3-5 starters, Ben.

rangers get delino deshields jr in rule 5 draft!!! has anyone seem blomqvist?

The Cubs just took a SS from the Rockies - because apparently we only like infielders - and he is 25 and hasn't even played in AAA yet. Assuming they are either dealing him somewhere or just wasted money when they send him back to the Rockies.

maybe they see him as a util if that doesnt need to hit.

You can close the book on last offseason's Doumit-Sean Gilmartin swap. Mets grab Ol' Gilly who the Twins left unprotected. Nice get, Ape Tit.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe · 29m
Cherington said Sox are in a strong position with the rotation and don't necessarily need to add to it.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Santana to Minnesota for 4 years, $55 million. Good for him.

Nats send Ross Detwiler to Texas for two single A prospects. I always liked Detwiler. I think he can become a serviceable starter but there is just no place for him on the Nats roster.

With another team taking on his 4/$90, the phils will likely not get a huge return, but should be decent. Not thinking there is a chance they get a top 10 prospect - but should still get some solid prospects

He's one of the best pitchers in baseball and is entering his prime. They should get a Top 3 prospect and more. Otherwise hold him until the trade deadline.

There's no sense giving him away.

boooooooooo

I'll cheer for Chuts to win a ring wherever he goes, but I'd really prefer it not be in the NL East. (Also applies to St. Louis and NYC.)

ETA: Reading the rest of that has me excited to tear this thing down, though. Bring me prospects! (And get rid of Papelbon!)

Please include the Dodgers on that list. They are definitely on mine.

Please include the Dodgers on that list. They are definitely on mine.

I would have a few years ago. But now they have JRoll, Brandon McCarthy, Kershaw, Puig, Ryu, AJ Ellis... too many likable players. They had a bubble machine in their dugout!

BothHalfGelada.gif

He's one of the best pitchers in baseball and is entering his prime. They should get a Top 3 prospect and more. Otherwise hold him until the trade deadline.

There's no sense giving him away.

You have to understand that a team would be more than willing to pick up his contract, because it is good. And they would shell out Lester type money at him in FA, but having to spend the money AND give up a top prospect is tough. And for the Phils, you are rebuilding - decent chance they are the worst team in baseball this year with or without Hamels, you take the best deal possible to stock up your team - I don't think you hold out unless no one is willing to buy, which I think is very unlikely considering the other options are $200 million for Scherzer or a little less for James Shields.

Yeah, if Hamels is worth 6 yrs/150 million as a FA and a team can get him for 4/90 via trade, that's probably, what, 30-40 million of value to the recipient?

That'll net you a solid return but, you aren't getting Mookie Betts or an elite prospect for that.

Back