• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2014-15 MLB Offseason/HOT STOVE Thread

Trivia: Name the Washington player who hit the first Major League home run at the Nationals first-ever regular season home game on April 14, 2005.

Vinny Castilla

no disagreements here

Why go for one year when you have a team set for several?

You don't get many opportunities. You have to take them when you can.

Plus Butler sucks. He's gotten worse and worse. RJ= talks about trending up and down all the time. This is a classic case of trending down.

Cubs re-sign Tsuyoshi Wada for $4 million - not bad as a 5th starter if last year was not a SSS fluke.

Was hoping landing Maddon may have given us a shot at Shields, but not sure Theo gives up a first rounder to get him.

Trivia: Name the Washington player who hit the first Major League home run at the Nationals first-ever regular season home game on April 14, 2005.

Vinny Castilla
T Sledge...Hit our first HR @ Philly on Opening Day. I was there.

Guessing on the first hone game. Jose Vidro? After I hit post I will check. (I was also there for that one but I was bombed).

edit...the correct answer was my 2nd guess.

Cubs re-sign Tsuyoshi Wada for $4 million - not bad as a 5th starter if last year was not a SSS fluke.

Was hoping landing Maddon may have given us a shot at Shields, but not sure Theo gives up a first rounder to get him.

Isn't their pick protected?

Why go for one year when you have a team set for several?

You don't get many opportunities. You have to take them when you can.

Plus Butler sucks. He's gotten worse and worse. RJ= talks about trending up and down all the time. This is a classic case of trending down.

I think you are overreacting to a one year statistical outlier. Yes he's trending down but so is offense in all of baseball. Also, the Royals aren't gonna go for it and start throwing money around.

if only they'd spent 53 MM more they mighta beat the giants

I think you are overreacting to a one year statistical outlier. Yes he's trending down but so is offense in all of baseball. Also, the Royals aren't gonna go for it and start throwing money around.

It's not one bad year. He went down 97 OPS points from 2012 to 2013. He also went down from 29 to 15 HRs. He's lost almost 200 points in two seasons in OPS. His HR totals gone down 29/15/9.

It's not one year.

It would be an even worse signing for a limited team to spend double digits on this guy.

Pittsburgh Pirates ‏@Pirates 12m12 minutes ago
The #Pirates have extended one-year qualifying offers to catcher @russellmartin55 and LHP Francisco Liriano.

Colorado Rockies ‏@Rockies 9m9 minutes ago
#Rockies have extended a qualifying offer to Michael Cuddyer. He has until next Monday at 3 p.m. MST to accept or decline.

Reports saying Burnett declines $12.75m player option with Phillies; opts for FA.

Truly odd use of Frank Underwood handle.

Baltimore Orioles ‏@Orioles 4m4 minutes ago
The Orioles have made a Qualifying Offer to Nelson Cruz and reinstated 3B Manny Machado & CA Matt Wieters from the 60-day disabled list.

No QO to Markakis. Word is they are close on an extension. We'll see I guess.

Reports saying Burnett declines $12.75m player option with Phillies; opts for FA.

He did the Phillies a favor. He was a terrible sign for a team that had no chance to contend ($15 million to go 8-18 with 4.59 ERA). In his last 27 starts of 2014 (from May 3 on), Burnett gave fewer than 3 runs 6 times, and the Phillies had a team record of 2-13 in his post-all star game starts. The Phillies could have picked up any random available pitcher (Jerome Williams or Chris Young), and he could have sucked just as much for $14 million less.

Pittsburgh Pirates ‏@Pirates 12m12 minutes ago
The #Pirates have extended one-year qualifying offers to catcher @russellmartin55 and LHP Francisco Liriano.

Maybe it's me, but $15MM seems like a lot for Liriano.

He did the Phillies a favor. He was a terrible sign for a team that had no chance to contend ($15 million to go 8-18 with 4.59 ERA). In his last 27 starts of 2014 (from May 3 on), Burnett gave fewer than 3 runs 6 times, and the Phillies had a team record of 2-13 in his post-all star game starts. The Phillies could have picked up any random available pitcher (Jerome Williams or Chris Young), and he could have sucked just as much for $14 million less.

Not even a top 10 bad Rube move

Here's your twelve guys with qualifying offers, which is $15.3 million this year:

• Max Scherzer, SP, Detroit Tigers
• James Shields, SP, Kansas City Royals
• Pablo Sandoval, 3B, San Francisco Giants
• Nelson Cruz, OF/DH, Baltimore Orioles
• Victor Martinez, DH, Detroit Tigers
• Hanley Ramirez, SS, Los Angeles Dodgers
• Melky Cabrera, OF, Toronto Blue Jays
• David Robertson, RP, New York Yankees
• Russell Martin, C, Pittsburgh Pirates
• Francisco Liriano, SP, Pittsburgh Pirates
• Ervin Santana, SP, Atlanta Braves
• Michael Cuddyer, OF, Colorado Rockies