• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2014 Mother's Basement MLB Season Thread - #dynasty vs. #destiny

Why does a pitcher have to throw out to intentionally walk a guy? Couldn't he just get up to the mound and drop the ball 4 times? Wouldn't those all be balls?

Kind of like at one time they decided a QB could just spike the ball and it's not intentional grounding and it stops the clock.

Why does a pitcher have to throw out to intentionally walk a guy? Couldn't he just get up to the mound and drop the ball 4 times? Wouldn't those all be balls?

Kind of like at one time they decided a QB could just spike the ball and it's not intentional grounding and it stops the clock.

drop ball with guy on = balk

drop ball with guy on = balk
Yeah, and the ball has to actually pass a foul line.

With a runner on base and the pitcher on or astride (with one leg on each side of) the rubber, under Official Baseball Rules, it is a balk[2] when the pitcher:
- drops the ball while on the rubber, even if by accident, if the ball does not subsequently cross a foul line;

Meh. There are a lot of balk rules that seem pretty silly.

MLB has to do something about this dumb "transfer rule". It absolutely defies logic.

One more. Tie game, bottom of the 9th, 1 out, man on 3rd. Fly ball to right field (your position), but it's going to be foul. You know if you catch it, the runner will easily tag and you lose the game. Of course the smart play is you just let it drop.

However, what if you were to take your glove and close it, and as the ball is coming down you kind of block it flat with your glove so it bounces back in the air? You then continue to bounce the ball in the air, kind of like juggling, until your close enough to the infield that the runner can't tag up.

Is this legal? You never actually caught the ball. Or can the runner run as soon as you first touch the ball. I know that's our kickball rules. But maybe our kickball league just has smarter rules than the MLB. Could be.

Any Out of the Park players here? I'm just starting up OOTP15 now.

MLB has to do something about this dumb "transfer rule". It absolutely defies logic.

The transfer rule is so frustrating. Texas has lost a few reviews because of it. And I agree with you. It makes no sense. To me "transfer", by definition, means I am in process of throwing. Which also means the catch has already been completed

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if the ball is caught in foul territory the runner can't advance.

One more. Tie game, bottom of the 9th, 1 out, man on 3rd. Fly ball to right field (your position), but it's going to be foul. You know if you catch it, the runner will easily tag and you lose the game. Of course the smart play is you just let it drop.

However, what if you were to take your glove and close it, and as the ball is coming down you kind of block it flat with your glove so it bounces back in the air? You then continue to bounce the ball in the air, kind of like juggling, until your close enough to the infield that the runner can't tag up.

Is this legal? You never actually caught the ball. Or can the runner run as soon as you first touch the ball. I know that's our kickball rules. But maybe our kickball league just has smarter rules than the MLB. Could be.

As soon as first contact is made with the glove orbwhatever, the runner tagging up can leave. Prevents this scenario or purposely bubbling to pick off a runner or getting him to hesitate

I can't believe that Pineda was dumb enough to do that again. And why is he putting it in such an obvious place?

Trivia FACT today:

The Tigers lost the 1909 World Series in seven games despite the heroics of pitcher George Mullin, who pitched three complete games, including a shutout, relieved in another game, and pinch-hit in two other games.

I can't believe that Pineda was dumb enough to do that again. And why is he putting it in such an obvious place?

This.

I dont really care that he was using pine tar. I care that he as stupid enough to do it against the same team and in an obvious location after getting suspicion cast his way last time

As soon as first contact is made with the glove orbwhatever, the runner tagging up can leave. Prevents this scenario or purposely bubbling to pick off a runner or getting him to hesitate
Well there you go. MLB's rules are on par with my kickball league.

Seems about right. Last night was a fun night of strength training.

the typos/autocorrect on that post make it seem like I was hammered at 6:30 AM or whatever. Yay phone posting

Up Close on Baseball’s Borders

Steve Rushin of Sports Illustrated has called the line running through Connecticut that separates Yankee fans and Red Sox fans the Munson-Nixon line. Mr. Rushin came up with the name — in honor of the late Yankee catcher Thurman Munson and the retired Red Sox right fielder Trot Nixon — in 2003, and he had to guess where the line ran: “north of New Haven but south of Hartford, running the breadth of central Connecticut.”

We don’t have to guess anymore.

Fans may not list which team they favor on the census, but millions of them do make their preferences public on Facebook. Using aggregated data provided by the company, we were able to create an unprecedented look at the geography of baseball fandom, going down not only to the county level, as Facebook did in a nationwide map it released a few weeks ago, but also to ZIP codes. We can now clearly see that both Hartford and New Haven are in fact Yankee outposts. We can also determine the precise Chicago neighborhoods where White Sox jerseys stop being welcome and the central California town where the Dodgers cede fan favorite status to the Giants.

We’ve created two features to help readers explore the data. First is an interactive map of the United States that allows you to explore not just the most popular team in your neighborhood but also a table of the top teams for any ZIP code in the country.

Second, in the spirit of Mr. Rushin’s Munson-Nixon line, we've generated 14 maps detailing baseball’s biggest rivalries, highlighting the borders and offering suggested names for those lines.

17 straight starts for Greinke under 2 ER. Best streak in the modern era.

Back