• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2014 NFC South Champion Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about that

Isn't he an alcoholic?

A friend of mine said Justin Blackmon for a 4th round draft pick. No idea who or where he got that from but i'd be down for that.

Blackmon is nothing but TROUBLE. He cannot stay on the field. Between DUIs and car wrecks, he's missed more time the past 2 seasons than he's played. DO NOT WANT. We're better served using our 4th to pick up a rookie WR.

In the regular season finale against Atlanta last year without Smitty, we passed for a total of 149 yards - 56 of which came on one play to DeAngelo. It doesn't seem like Gettleman puts much stock into wide receivers. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll trade up for Watkins or make a trade for a good receiver. Gotta hope we land Jones. Because Cam is going to get frustrated fast if his targets are all guys who should all be #3 receivers talent-wise.

Gotta hope we land Jones. Because Cam is going to get frustrated fast if his targets are all guys who should all be #3 receivers talent-wise.

Smith should have been #2 receiver last year and the other guys are all #3's. That was the corps last year. Don't forget we still have Olson and all three running backs are pretty good receivers. Stewart caught 47 balls in 2011, Williams caught 26 last year. Hopefully Barner will get into the mix as well. I think if we can match up Jones with a high draft pick and a serviceable third guy from somewhere, we'll be okay, with room for improvement the following year. We might even pick up a late cut from someone in August.

If Blackmon is to be reinstated before the season, I really don't mind having him as a Panther at all. I'd rather see the trade for a 5th or 6th, but I think he's still an emerging talent.

Smith should have been #2 receiver last year and the other guys are all #3's. That was the corps last year. Don't forget we still have Olson and all three running backs are pretty good receivers. Stewart caught 47 balls in 2011, Williams caught 26 last year. Hopefully Barner will get into the mix as well. I think if we can match up Jones with a high draft pick and a serviceable third guy from somewhere, we'll be okay, with room for improvement the following year. We might even pick up a late cut from someone in August.
You're right about Smith, but he was still good enough to draw attention from the defense. Something Jerricho Cotchery or a 2nd/3rd round pick probably won't do (unless we really hit a home run in the draft). That's why it's imperative to get Jones and stop the bleeding a little bit. It's also imperative to get Jones because he's a fucking CHARLOTTE HORNETS fan and that's good enough for me.

Bi5NPvvCEAA4NLIjpg_large_zps959893c1.jpg

The Jonathan Martin trade set the "change of scenery" price at 5th round. I like that.

If Blackmon is to be reinstated before the season, I really don't mind having him as a Panther at all. I'd rather see the trade for a 5th or 6th, but I think he's still an emerging talent.

I'd be alright with giving up a 5th or 6th because he is a high upside guy, but I think he's a pretty bad headcase that only has a 20% chance of having a long, productive career.

Wasn't everyone in love with Gettleman like a month ago? He did a great job in his first year, and now everyone is all over him because he let a few average to below-average players and a 35YO wide receiver go? I love Smitty about as much as a man could lover another man, but Gettleman didn't suddenly become inept at his job.

Our receiving corps was shit last year. Hixon was a complete non-factor (other than one catch), Ginn dropped countless passes that could have been touchdowns, Lafell dropped just as many first downs, and Smith had a career high in drops. If we bring in a combination of James Jones, Cotchery, a couple rookies, and maybe another FA -- does anyone think that's a worse corps than last year? I sure as hell don't.

Last edited:
You're right about Smith, but he was still good enough to draw attention from the defense. Something Jerricho Cotchery or a 2nd/3rd round pick probably won't do (unless we really hit a home run in the draft). That's why it's imperative to get Jones and stop the bleeding a little bit. It's also imperative to get Jones because he's a fucking CHARLOTTE HORNETS fan and that's good enough for me.

Bi5NPvvCEAA4NLIjpg_large_zps959893c1.jpg

That's awesome.

Wasn't everyone in love with Gettleman like a month ago? He did a great job in his first year, and now everyone is all over him because he let a few average to below-average players and a 35YO wide receiver go? I love Smitty about as much as a man could lover another man, but Gettleman didn't suddenly become inept at his job.

Our receiving corps was shit last year. Hixon was a complete non-factor (other than one catch), Ginn dropped countless passes that could have been touchdowns, Lafell dropped just as many first downs, and Smith had a career high in drops. If we bring in a combination of James Jones, Cotchery, a couple rookies, and maybe another FA -- does anyone think that's a worse corps than last year? I sure as hell don't.
To be fair, two of those receivers you thought were shit - Hixon and Ginn - were Gettleman guys. Hopefully he has better luck this year because we need him to build the entire corps from scratch.

Rumor has it we'll be running a 4 TE set and pound the rock 98% of the time. :)

Didn't see it posted... Heard Josh Harris ran a 4.28 in the pro day today outside. Anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back