• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2014 NFC South Champion Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I wouldn't have had the Panthers as a contender going into the 2014 year.

Cam in 2013 divisional round vs. SF: 16-25, 267 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 79.9 QB rating

Until he shows me otherwise, I guess I just don't believe in your QB in the playoffs. Sorry.
I don't think we were last year either. But we ended the season well, lose nobody of consequence and likely upgrade positions of weakness. Plus most of our stars are young and get appreciably better each season. We won't be a SB favorite, but I think we'll be on the short list of contenders.

Colin Cole back on a one year deal for $1.5mm... I like it!

No complaints with that. He's a quality backup and will only count like $660k against the cap because of how vet minimum contracts are accounted for.

I don't understand why non-Panther fans are judging this Panthers team based on a bad 5 game stretch where we were banged up and playing a very difficult schedule. We started the season well and ended it in the 2nd round of the playoffs. We've shown consistent success with this coaching staff and this roster of players, when healthy. We're not world beaters by any stretch, but we're capable of making the leap to SB contenders with another solid draft class.

Last edited:
I don't understand why non-Panther fans are judging this Panthers team based on a bad 5 game stretch where we were banged up and playing a very difficult schedule. We started the season well and ended it in the 2nd round of the playoffs. We've shown consistent success with this coaching staff and this roster of players, when healthy. We're not world beaters by any stretch, but we're capable of making the leap to SB contenders with another solid draft class.

Yes. This team looks like a sleeper contender on paper. Overachieved two seasons ago. Finished strong last season with the emergence of young talent. Both seasons of success were under major cap restrictions that don't apply this season. Unless Jameis is an elite QB out of the gate, there are no other real contenders in the division.

Cam in 2013 divisional round vs. SF: 16-25, 267 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 79.9 QB rating
Until he shows me otherwise, I guess I just don't believe in your QB in the playoffs. Sorry.

Week before facing Cam, SF won at mighty Lambeau, where Rodgers is on another level:
Aaron Rodgers: 17-26, 177 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 1 Fumble (0 lost). 2 carries, 11 yards.

Cam Newton: 16-25, 267 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 0 Fumbles. 10 carries, 54 yards.

Week after facing Cam, ST lost in Seattle:
Russell Wilson: 16-25, 215 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 2 Fumbles (1 lost). 5 carries, 0 yards.

Cam definitely hasn't been great in the playoffs but San Fran did a similar number on Rodgers & Wilson last year.

Seattle also forced Cam into 2 INTs this year. Rodgers & Brady also threw 2 picks against Seattle in this year's playoffs.

Not ready to give up on our 25 year old QB yet. Not everyone can win a Super Bowl by age 25 like Taahm Brady. Let's not forget that NE never scored more than 1 offensive TD in each of those 3 playoff games (1was a Bledsoe TD pass).

Brady's 3 playoff games through age 25: 60-97, 572 yards, 1 TD 1 INT. 77.3 Rating
Newton's 3 playoff games through age 25: 57-93, 711 yards, 5 TD 5 INT. 80.5 Rating

Because that's what the playoffs are?

So in regards to the contender question, you don't want to be judged during the stretch in which you played playoff teams but instead during the stretch when you played non-playoff teams.

I included the Cowboys because they beat the Seahawks in Seattle and were a Dez catch away from potentially beating the Packers in Lambeau, arguably 2 of the top 3 toughest places to win. Would need a little more sustainability from them to feel more comfortable putting them as a contender though.

Last edited:
So the "tough" NFC has two contenders, one of which had a completely bipolar home/road season.

How will the Panthers possibly compete???????

It's about time for the 2015 thread to start. We just hit 10K posts on this thread today. Need a more active poster to start the Official thread.

The Panthers were one of the top three teams in the NFC in 2013, so I guess that made them a "contender" going into 2014 in woody's mind. That seems to be the only qualification.

But we are way more of a contender entering 2015 than 2014.

Also, Dallas is going to fall back to being average -- they lost Marinelli who worked miracles with that D. And GB isn't that great -- they were amazing at home obvs but they were an average (or slightly below) team away from Lambeau who benefited (yet still couldn't win) from the worst game of Wilson's career. Their division will be better next year and we get them in the QC.

Seattle, sure, but not many teams make the Super Bowl three years in a row

Marinelli re-upped for 3 years in Dallas.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...elli-says-he-never-considered-leaving-dallas/

Thanks, missed that, obvs there was a lot of conjecture he was gonna bolt for TB. Big plus for Dallas

Rotoworld on Panther needs, and full projected draft. I'm intrigued by the WR they have them taking in R3.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/53203/71/nfl-draft-needs-panthers

btw, I saw a pretty interesting show on the NFL Network about the 1964 draft. More HOFers from that draft than any other. Also, there was no time limit on making a pick. So when it was Dallas' turn, they wanted Mel Renfro but were not sure about his surgically repaired knee. They called a local doc to drive to the Oregon's campus to check him out. They did eventually pick him, but their turn took 6 hrs.

That article makes a shadow argument for drafting a #1 WR.

I totally didn't read it that way. The depth at the position gives them a great option in R3, while picking is already becoming slim for an LT in late R1.

I do disagree with their assessment that we need another big WR. I think speed is primary this year, and size secondary. Carolina needs speed to "take the top off the defense" - opening up underneath patterns and the running game. If Steve Smith can make Jake Delhomme look good, another speedy WR can do the same for Cam (and Cam > Jake).

I totally didn't read it that way. The depth at the position gives them a great option in R3, while picking is already becoming slim for an LT in late R1.

I do disagree with their assessment that we need another big WR. I think speed is primary this year, and size secondary. Carolina needs speed to "take the top off the defense" - opening up underneath patterns and the running game. If Steve Smith can make Jake Delhomme look good, another speedy WR can do the same for Cam (and Cam > Jake).

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA....

:tard:
:rulz:
Facepalm
:stupid:
:bullshit:
:moose:
:wtftard:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back