• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2014 NFC South Champion Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he could be had for say, our sixth rd pick then I'd be all on board.

He did demand a trade today.

Can't afford his contract in a trade. He will have to be signed after being released which he will because no one is paying $10m/year for a 33 year old.

The Panthers are a solid draft away from being a perennial top five team in the NFC. Not a great draft. Just hit on guys capable of being contributors. I trust Gettleman. I attribute a lot of our late season turnaround to blind luck and a favorable schedule but he deserves credit for drafting guys like Benwikere and Boston, both of whom blossomed into decent rookies by the end of the season.

Yep. This is a team with obvious holes and major cap problems that still managed to win the division the last two seasons. Haters need to recognize.

We play only 6 teams with an above .500 record from last year. If we can sneak a W from the Colts/Packers at home I don't see how we aren't the favorites to win the south again.

Teams' fortunes don't change year-to-year in the NFL or anything.

Only teams to make the playoffs twice and win at least 1 playoff game in the last two years: NE, DEN, IND, SEA, GB ... and the Panthers.

Panthers didn't win a game last year in the playoffs.

Pretty sure they did.....

Facepalm

Come on people. Did not win a playoff game after the 2013 season. Won a single playoff game after the 2014 season.

Until Cam shows me otherwise, meh. The NFC is tough.

The NFC is tough. Unfortunately he can't play the Patriots every week:

19-28, 209 yards, 3 TDs, 0 ints
7 rushes, 62 yards
game-winning TD pass in last minute of the game: 13 play, 83 yard drive

After Randall Cobb, I'm still hoping we get shorts or Douglas or Hartline and then ginn

He's gonna want to go to a contender.

He wants to go to a contender that can also make him a major part of the offense. The Panthers have a huge hole for a starting WR opposite KB and are most certainly a contender. Are we a favorite? Probably not, but to say we aren't a contender is just ignorant and we are definitely on the shortlist of teams who can offer Johnson both a prominent role in the offense and a solid chance at a Super Bowl run. As a bonus, the Panthers play the Texans next year so he would get a chance at revenge as well.

If Gettleman decides he wants him and offers a competitive salary then the Panthers will be one of his best options.

He wants to go to a contender that can also make him a major part of the offense. The Panthers have a huge hole for a starting WR opposite KB and are most certainly a contender. Are we a favorite? Probably not, but to say we aren't a contender is just ignorant and we are definitely on the shortlist of teams who can offer Johnson both a prominent role in the offense and a solid chance at a Super Bowl run. As a bonus, the Panthers play the Texans next year so he would get a chance at revenge as well.

If Gettleman decides he wants him and offers a competitive salary then the Panthers will be one of his best options.
I guess I have a different definition of contender. The Seahawks, Packers, and perhaps the Cowboys would be my NFC contenders. The Panthers played the Packers and Seahawks last year and lost 38-17 and 31-17, respectively, and those scores probably would have been worse if not for some garbage time TDs (which Cam and Kelvin were the best in the league at last year). Johnson only has 2-3 more years left to get a SB ring. I'm not betting on the Panthers in that time frame if I'm him. But yes, if being a primary target in the offense is more important to him, no question the Panthers would be a good fit.

Johnson's a chump if he doesn't think he can make this team better and get paid market value.

Yes, Darelle Revis, I'm looking at you.

The Panthers were one of the top three teams in the NFC in 2013, so I guess that made them a "contender" going into 2014 in woody's mind. That seems to be the only qualification.

But we are way more of a contender entering 2015 than 2014.

Also, Dallas is going to fall back to being average -- they lost Marinelli who worked miracles with that D. And GB isn't that great -- they were amazing at home obvs but they were an average (or slightly below) team away from Lambeau who benefited (yet still couldn't win) from the worst game of Wilson's career. Their division will be better next year and we get them in the QC.

Seattle, sure, but not many teams make the Super Bowl three years in a row

Last edited:
I don't think the team that got rid of Steve Smith would be looking at Andre Johnson unless they can get him for Crotchery money.

I don't think the team that got rid of Steve Smith would be looking at Andre Johnson unless they can get him for Crotchery money.
Dumped Steve more because he had a vice grip on the locker room than his age/production

I'd prefer a fast guy to get downfield before Andre but all things considered, he'd be an interesting add

And the Panthers will be good next year, I think our best team yet with Cam and Rivera

I guess I have a different definition of contender. The Seahawks, Packers, and perhaps the Cowboys would be my NFC contenders. The Panthers played the Packers and Seahawks last year and lost 38-17 and 31-17, respectively, and those scores probably would have been worse if not for some garbage time TDs (which Cam and Kelvin were the best in the league at last year). Johnson only has 2-3 more years left to get a SB ring. I'm not betting on the Panthers in that time frame if I'm him. But yes, if being a primary target in the offense is more important to him, no question the Panthers would be a good fit.

What supposedly pissed him off was O'Brien telling him he would see a diminished role in the offense and likely catch only 40 balls next year so I imagine being a primary target is fairly important to him. There are quite a few teams that can offer him what he's looking and if the Seahawks, Colts, Patriots or Packers(should they lose Cobb) make a run at him then they are better options than the Panthers, but there are very good reasons as to why those teams wouldn't make a serious play for him.

The Seahawks need to concentrate on new deals for Wilson, Wagner and Lynch then see what kind of room they have left. The Patriots if they bring back Revis and McCourty will be up against the cap. If the Packers bring back Cobb then they have no need for him. The Colts make the most sense but he may not want to go to a team in the same division as the Texans. You mentioned the Cowboys but they are very low on cap room after tagging Dez and they've still got to re-sign one of their RT's and possibly sign DeMarco.

The Panthers at the very least should be considered strong contenders to sign him if they choose to pursue him assuming he is released which seems very likely considering no one is trading for his contract.

Colin Cole back on a one year deal for $1.5mm... I like it!

The Panthers were one of the top three teams in the NFC in 2013, so I guess that made them a "contender" going into 2014 in woody's mind. That seems to be the only qualification.

But we are way more of a contender entering 2015 than 2014.

Also, Dallas is going to fall back to being average -- they lost Marinelli who worked miracles with that D. And GB isn't that great -- they were amazing at home obvs but they were an average (or slightly below) team away from Lambeau who benefited (yet still couldn't win) from the worst game of Wilson's career. Their division will be better next year and we get them in the QC.

Seattle, sure, but not many teams make the Super Bowl three years in a row
Nah, I wouldn't have had the Panthers as a contender going into the 2014 year.

Cam in 2013 divisional round vs. SF: 16-25, 267 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 79.9 QB rating

Until he shows me otherwise, I guess I just don't believe in your QB in the playoffs. Sorry.

Dude's got a full offseason ahead of him versus none last year. We'll be able to run our normal offense with him from the get go as opposed to having to scheme around his limitations early in the season.

We'll learn a lot in 2015

Dude's got a full offseason ahead of him versus none last year. We'll be able to run our normal offense with him from the get go as opposed to having to scheme around his limitations early in the season.

We'll learn a lot in 2015

This. He was banged up and had the equivalent of only 3 or 4 OL last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back