• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

Going to Oak Hill was a terrible decision for Giles. Whether the Duke coaches encouraged him to go there to get him out of our backyard or not, he clearly got some bad advice from people who didn't have his best interest at stake. After recovering from ACL tear #1 and playing his first full HS season followed by a full AAU season and then playing with the USA Team, the kid needed to take a break. You dont have to be a doctor to see that going to Oak Hill who is known for having the most intense practices and training schedules (5 AM workouts, 4 hours of practice a day, etc) probably wasnt the smartest decision. There's been a lot of studies on teenagers overworking their bodies and leading to more injuries, shorter careers,etc. Obviously he was unlucky in the severity of his injury, but the Oak Hill move was a terrible decision even before the injury.

Yep and Capel is the reason for it.

I think he would have stayed at WCA. I think he would be mentored by Manning and eventually start at PF for us.

Meant to type WOULDNT. I am ungood at typing on iPad sometimes.

I agree with you Ph. He would be our starting PF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Oak Hill thing was all Capel.

Our staff encouraged him to stay at WCA for a lot of reasons.

And really, there was no need to go there. He was already #1, going to Oak Hill wasn't going to change that. It was more for show, more for Duke's benefit, not about developing HG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is going to Oak Hill for Duke's benefit? Not being a dick, just asking.

How is going to Oak Hill for Duke's benefit? Not being a dick, just asking.

Loosely related: who pays the tuition at a place like Oak Hill when a kid enrolls there? I have no idea if they have scholarships or not. That seems like an expensive arrangement. Let's assume the Giles family tells Capel, that looks like a good school, but we feel like making more reasonable choices with our education spending and at least staying local. What is the next thing Capel says?
Eta: Tuition is $29,000.00 per year, per website. One steak per recruit, though. Hmmm.

Last edited:
I hopened Harry loses his next five college games, gets drafted, makes enough money for his family and has a decent NBA career. It would be great if Collins has a great one. I feel like there is good reason for Harry to wonder "what if?", when looking at Collins' development, but--as miserable as Dook is---it seemed like the safer choice at the time. I swear he is the second coming of shaftlik. The overhyped recruit that portended K's final ascent to untouchable status (poaching players from other schools backyards) that busted.

Yes, and that is also true for baseball players as well as soccer players. This year round stuff will have to end one of these days as young bodies need rest. They also need a break from their sports and the 2 or 3 sport athlete needs to come back in vogue. Gives them another look at team work while still getting in practices and athletic type workouts--just not the same ones that stress the same joints.

And Volleyball players, and softball players, and swimmers, and runners and...and...
They have nagging injuries, they play hurt, there is so much pressure on them from parents and coaches to play. They need physical and mental breaks.

Loosely related: who pays the tuition at a place like Oak Hill when a kid enrolls there? I have no idea if they have scholarships or not. That seems like an expensive arrangement. Let's assume the Giles family tells Capel, that looks like a good school, but we feel like making more reasonable choices with our education spending and at least staying local. What is the next thing Capel says?
Eta: Tuition is $29,000.00 per year, per website. One steak per recruit, though. Hmmm.

Oak Hill most likely offers scholarships to players like Giles, if I had to guess.

Oak Hill most likely offers scholarships to players like Giles, if I had to guess.

There has got to be an easy answer and that is by far the most logical one. Okay, great. So we're clear, you couldn't give a recruit a bagel with cream cheese on it (because that was a "meal" under the old guidelines), but you could engineer a scholarship offer to a $30,000.00 private school (that isn't yours) for a recruit? Huh.

Another big game for Giles tonight. His development is completely being stunted at Duke. Have fun getting drafted in the late teens and sitting on an NBA bench for 3 years.

Another big game for Giles tonight. His development is completely being stunted at Duke. Have fun getting drafted in the late teens and sitting on an NBA bench for 3 years.

Not trying to be a contrarian, but it's usually better for NBA prospects to play for the good teams who draft later - less pressure, veteran leadership, winning atmosphere, better coaching. Harrison Barnes is a good example of a player who benefitted a lot from falling draft stock.

Giles could very likely get the Simmons/Embiid treatment from whatever team drafts him and just use his rookie season to rehab

Not trying to be a contrarian, but it's usually better for NBA prospects to play for the good teams who draft later - less pressure, veteran leadership, winning atmosphere, better coaching. Harrison Barnes is a good example of a player who benefitted a lot from falling draft stock.

For Giles sake I hope he doesn't fall as low as the number 7 pick in the draft.

For Giles sake I hope he doesn't fall as low as the number 7 pick in the draft.
Did Barnes go 7th? Shit, I thought it was later. Anyway, he benefitted from developing as a bench player on a good team, just as Draymond and Kawhi benefitted. I'm confident in my theory that it's easier for a player to reach their potential on a good team.

Back