• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

as a college player/production/impact wise, off the top of my head i can't think of a worse one and done player ever for any team.

I'm probably forgetting somebody here. Could Giles be Duke's worst one and done? I can't think of anybody right off hand who had a less impressive freshman year and left.

LOL. He still thinks he's "big ticket."

Nah, he's got to be the worst. Even Will Avery stayed for two years and had a pretty decent sophomore season, even though it was pretty obvious he had no business going pro.

I'm probably forgetting somebody here. Could Giles be Duke's worst one and done? I can't think of anybody right off hand who had a less impressive freshman year and left.

LOL. He still thinks he's "big ticket."

Irving because of injury?

Irving was maybe the best player in the country when he played though, which was about 1/3rd of the season.

like harrison barnes had similar hype to harry and was crushed for his freshman season being a disappointment and he averaged 16-6. and he came back.

Skal was awful last year, but HG definitely has him beat. Giles is undoubtedly the worst ever.

Just be glad he didn't come here. That would've blown

as a college player/production/impact wise, off the top of my head i can't think of a worse one and done player ever for any team.

I don't see how he can go? I don't see how any team can take him high enough to make it worth his while or their risk? He should take a look, see where his status is, see how low it will be, then realize he ought to come back and prove his knee is fully healthy. Took Rutland a full year and Giles has had several.

I don't see how he can go? I don't see how any team can take him high enough to make it worth his while or their risk? He should take a look, see where his status is, see how low it will be, then realize he ought to come back and prove his knee is fully healthy. Took Rutland a full year and Giles has had several.

that would be the smart thing to do. But Harry hasnt exactly been making the smartest decisiona for himself....

My knee jerk response is to say that Giles will be drafted highly off potential, but he has already blown out both knees and had 3 knee surgeries at 18. It would be a terribly stupid risk for Giles to stay in college.

My knee jerk response is to say that Giles will be drafted highly off potential, but he has already blown out both knees and had 3 knee surgeries at 18. It would be a terribly stupid risk for Giles to stay in college.

Exactly. A year like this now and he's a high ceiling player struggling with injury who is worthy of a mid-1st pick. A year like this next year and he's out of the 1st, but out of the draft entirely.

Giles' situation reminds of a player of many decades ago, Ken Durrett. He went to LaSalle and was a spectacular player. Near the end if his senior year, he totally blew out his knee. Back then his injury was usually career ending, but his talent was so immense that he was still picked 4th in the NBA draft.

A healthy Harry is so talented that a high drafting team might take the chance on him. I would not be shocked to see the Bulls take a flyer at #11 and use #17 for a more solid pick.

Exactly. A year like this now and he's a high ceiling player struggling with injury who is worthy of a mid-1st pick. A year like this next year and he's out of the 1st, but out of the draft entirely.

Yeah based on how he was this year, if I'm him I'm taking any money I can get. The draft boards (for what little they're worth) still have him ranging from late lottery to late first round. What if he comes back and averages 5 and 5 again? He'd be toast.

Giles' situation reminds of a player of many decades ago, Ken Durrett. He went to LaSalle and was a spectacular player. Near the end if his senior year, he totally blew out his knee. Back then his injury was usually career ending, but his talent was so immense that he was still picked 4th in the NBA draft.

Then what happened? Was he good?

He never overcame the knee injury. In those days, it was not an operation that doctors could perform like today.

Here are his stats at LaSalle http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=797&Itemid=5

There were serious discussions whether he was better than DRJ. Some thought his outside shot and D made Durrett better. They played at the same time.

One of the greatest one-on-one games I ever saw was when he played the 7-1 Jim McDaniels and his Final Four WKY team at The Palestra. Durrett had 45 points, close to 20 boards, a bunch of assists and several blocks. McDaniels 35 or so and tons of boards. Every time, you didn't think they could outdo the last move, you were proven wrong.

Many people consider him the 2nd best player ever in Big 5, behind only fellow LaSalle Explorer, HOFer Tom Gola.

Back