• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

Did Barnes go 7th? Shit, I thought it was later. Anyway, he benefitted from developing as a bench player on a good team, just as Draymond and Kawhi benefitted. I'm confident in my theory that it's easier for a player to reach their potential on a good team.

Yeah, but the HB example is a great analogy. Barnes was #1 recruit, and went on to have a very good (but not great compared to the unreasonably high expectations). Barnes won ACC ROY and came back, made the Elite Eight and went in the lottery.

eta (I've changed my mind) Giles just needs to go. Make a salvage value play in hopes a good team takes a flyer on him late first round for a guaranteed deal on a good team and then go earn a second one at the next level. Seems like either way he's going to be on a good team next year, and he might as well be on the one where they pay people to sit on the bench. Beats getting hurt for free.

Last edited:
Since Townie believes I am denigrating DM in my comment to cheese, let me explain. Cheese stated in defense of Giles, he, meaning Giles had 6 and 4 in 11 minutes which was "respectable". My comment that DM had 4 and 2 in 6 minutes meaning that DM had similar numbers, 4 and 2 in 6 minutes is comparable to 6 and 4 in 11 minutes, yet DM wasn't the consensus #1 ranked high school recruit. I believe DM has had at least as productive a year as the potential NBA lottery pick/first round pick. No more, no less.

Since Townie believes I am denigrating DM in my comment to cheese, let me explain. Cheese stated in defense of Giles, he, meaning Giles had 6 and 4 in 11 minutes which was "respectable". My comment that DM had 4 and 2 in 6 minutes meaning that DM had similar numbers, 4 and 2 in 6 minutes is comparable to 6 and 4 in 11 minutes, yet DM wasn't the consensus #1 ranked high school recruit. I believe DM has had at least as productive a year as the potential NBA lottery pick/first round pick. No more, no less.

Moore is better than Giles right now.

My post was completely tongue in cheek. Not sure how you missed that

0-2 from the stripe down five less than a minute left. In fairness, he wasn't even fouled.

He had no chance to make those free throws. They even tried to put Jackson on the line. Giles has lost all of his confidence and whatever skill he ever had.

He had no chance to make those free throws. They even tried to put Jackson on the line. Giles has lost all of his confidence and whatever skill he ever had.

Saw that. Dook is so dehrty.

He did have 8 boards today. Not awful. But he's playing like a shell of the guy we heard about.

People are talking shit because, after picking Duke all comments and indications were that we were not even his second choice. Wake fans came to feel like he really played us and led us on - leading DM to waste a LOT of time and resources recruiting him. Lots of logical reasons made Wake the better choice for him but he fell for Coach K's bullshit - transferring HS's and everything - basically disrespecting Wake as an option. And then after they beat us in WS he really acted like an ass on the court and pissed Wake fans off even more. So screw him.

I saw Giles play in that ESPN high school game vs. Tatum last year, pre-knee injury and pre-commitment and he looked athletic. Good player.

Not as good as Tatum, and no jump shot. But an athletic dude. One of the tallest guys out there, too.

0 points, 1 foul and 1 rebound in likely his last game at Cameron
He posted this on Instagram today. Maybe or maybe not a sign. Nevertheless, what a complete waste of everyone's time. He blows.

C5yJ0QLU4AAq2jL.jpg:large

I'm probably forgetting somebody here. Could Giles be Duke's worst one and done? I can't think of anybody right off hand who had a less impressive freshman year and left.

LOL. He still thinks he's "big ticket."

Back