• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Well, commercial fishing companies at least, with (I assume) some serious right wing $$ help.

can you give me some cliffs
Right now, Federal agencies have latitude to make rules when things aren't specifically clear, and the court will back them because Chevron. What is going to happen is that if things aren't specific, then these rules are going to get challenged, and be voided because they will no longer have the court's backing. This is going to significantly impact things like health and safety, food and drugs, OSHA, labor, environmental regulations, all the stuff that the government does to keep us safe. This is "literally" what Gorsuch was put on the court to do, and it is a role he was "literally" born to play.

The degradation of talent in public service has been picking up speed since the 80s. Can you imagine what these idiots like mtg and gym jordan and their special interest lobbiests are going to write into law?

The degradation of talent in public service has been picking up speed since the 80s. Can you imagine what these idiots like mtg and gym jordan and their special interest lobbiests are going to write into law?

I think the goal is to evolve into Russia. FFS

They don't so much want the government to pay for it as not want the regulation at all?
Yeah because if they don’t follow the rules they’ll then have to pay fines to the government. “Businesses can regulate themselves or they’ll go out of business”

Publicly financed elections and term limits would go a long way toward changing it a public service that someone can do on a sabbatical from their career from a career in itself, which it currently seems like only psychopaths succeed at/want to be a part of. I am an intelligent and thoughtful individual who is committed to public service in my career and feel like I could make a real difference in a congressional role but I'm not individually wealthy and can't imagine putting myself and my loved ones through that.

The attack on Chevron is just another attack on expertise by the right. It's a logical continuation of their attempts to live in an alternate reality for the sake of the thoughts and feelings of their brainwashed voters.

This is a great synopsis

Publicly financed elections and term limits would go a long way toward changing it a public service that someone can do on a sabbatical from their career from a career in itself, which it currently seems like only psychopaths succeed at/want to be a part of. I am an intelligent and thoughtful individual who is committed to public service in my career and feel like I could make a real difference in a congressional role but I'm not individually wealthy and can't imagine putting myself and my loved ones through that.
The franchise is limited. And it's a pity.

Back