• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Maybe take a look at UNC’s arguments defending themselves and the lower court rulings supporting their position.

Maybe take a look at UNC’s arguments defending themselves and the lower court rulings supporting their position.

This isn't a great week to brag about UNC's ability to defend. They couldn't defend anything the other night. I predict they'll have as much success at the Supreme Court.

UNC has resisted even making the data/formulas public, let alone actually defend them on the merits. They know that their time is borrowed here (as I suspect most of you do too, if you were capable of honesty) and they're just running out the clock for as long as they can.

The "borrowed time" reference isn't my own. I the Bollinger case, O'Connor's majority opinion stated "race-conscious admissions policies must be limited in time,... "Court expects that 25 years from now, the use of racial preferences will no longer be necessary to further the interest approved today." That was 2003. Time's running out.

Your unsavory glee is showing.

There's a reason the Courts have applied strict scrutiny to race-based discrimination. It's inherently wrong. Good riddance.

Now go make a class-based argument. Go make a "first in my family to go to college argument". Go make your "top 5% of my high school argument". Those are all well-intended and likely more effective arguments to spread opportunities that don't invoke the issues of race-based discrimination. There's more than one way forward. You don't have to cling to the ineffective, illegal one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't a great week to brag about UNC's ability to defend. They couldn't defend anything the other night. I predict they'll have as much success at the Supreme Court.

UNC has resisted even making the data/formulas public, let alone actually defend them on the merits. They know that their time is borrowed here (as I suspect most of you do too, if you were capable of honesty) and they're just running out the clock for as long as they can.

The "borrowed time" reference isn't my own. I the Bollinger case, O'Connor's majority opinion stated "race-conscious admissions policies must be limited in time,... "Court expects that 25 years from now, the use of racial preferences will no longer be necessary to further the interest approved today." That was 2003. Time's running out.

Back to the Future II said we’d have flying cars and hoverboards 30 years later. Predictions for the future don’t always come true.

Back to the Future II said we’d have flying cars and hoverboards 30 years later. Predictions for the future don’t always come true.

"We've just got to give racism a little more time" is an interesting argument.

Has jhmd ever explained when racism ended and how?

Has jhmd ever explained when racism ended and how?

It hasn't, of course. The goal is to eradicate it. A wise man once said, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." That's the goal, right?

Right?

Ok but you people haven’t stopped being racist against blacks, at all. In fact you are worse than you’ve been in years. So I mean you know fuck off

Make a full-throated argument for race-based discrimination by the government in 2022. The floor is yours.

Systemic racism in this country has and continues to limit opportunities to people based on their race. The government should work to 1) eliminate the discrimination and 2) work to amend the harm.

Is it enough to make thievery illegal, or should the thief also return what was stolen?

Systemic racism in this country has and continues to limit opportunities to people based on their race. The government should work to 1) eliminate the discrimination and 2) work to amend the harm.

Is it enough to make thievery illegal, or should the thief also return what was stolen?

Conservative logic: The only way to stop theft is to stop theft, so obviously the thief should keep what they stole.

The court was way too optimistic in predicting the end of racism in this country. It's alive and well thanks to (mostly) Republican whites.

There's a reason the Courts have applied strict scrutiny to race-based discrimination. It's inherently wrong. Good riddance.

Now go make a class-based argument. Go make a "first in my family to go to college argument". Go make your "top 5% of my high school argument". Those are all well-intended and likely more effective arguments to spread opportunities that don't invoke the issues of race-based discrimination. There's more than one way forward. You don't have to cling to the ineffective, illegal one.

Affirmative action is not race based discrimination. It's a weak attempt at correcting hundreds of years of race based discrimination.

Affirmative action is not race based discrimination. It's a weak attempt at correcting hundreds of years of race based discrimination.

Yep. Affirmative action is just the government saying “Please try not to discriminate based on race.” But to people who benefit from that discrimination, it looks like discrimination against them.

What did the high school junior you're discriminating against steal? You don't punish one innocent person because someone else stole something.

I'm pretty sure we both know it is. This is your attempt at a second wrong to make a right.

Yep. Affirmative action is just the government saying “Please try not to discriminate based on race.” But to people who benefit from that discrimination, it looks like discrimination against them.

Because it is.

Back