• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

The way the GOP handled the appointment for the vacancy Scalia created was reprehensible but the joy in my timeline over the death of a man whom RBG considered a friend was disgusting.

The way the GOP handled the appointment for the vacancy Scalia created was reprehensible but the joy in my timeline over the death of a man whom RBG considered a friend was disgusting.

Yeah I’m not going to shed any of tears for this piece of shit when he goes

Oh no I hope it isn’t serious get better soon

When the ideological makeup of the Supreme Court can drastically affect people’s daily lives, and when a death is usually the only way people leave the Court, you are going to get an emotional reaction like that.

Did you see any joy in your timeline from conservatives when RBG died?

When the ideological makeup of the Supreme Court can drastically affect people’s daily lives, and when a death is usually the only way people leave the Court, you are going to get an emotional reaction like that.

I did and it was equally disgusting. One of the highlights of my time at Wake was seeing RBG speak in Wait Chapel.

If Scalia had his way then many gay people in this country would not only be banned from marrying the loves of their life but they'd also be banned from having sex with them. Imagine if there was some high authoritative figure that tried to ban you from marrying or even having sex with someone you're attracted to and was publicly unapologetic about these views. How would you feel towards that person? Would your feelings of this person be dependent on who he/she is friends with?

‘When they go low we go high,’ it works every time.

Perhaps Clarence will use this hospitalization as a time to reflect and decide to retire so he can spend more time with his delightful wife.

If Scalia had his way then many gay people in this country would not only be banned from marrying the loves of their life but they'd also be banned from having sex with them. Imagine if there was some high authoritative figure that tried to ban you from marrying or even having sex with someone you're attracted to and was publicly unapologetic about these views. How would you feel towards that person? Would your feelings of this person be dependent on who he/she is friends with?

RBG was multiple magnitudes smarter than I am. So, if she found that she was able to be friends with him, I’m not one to second guess.

And Scalia would vehemently argue that what he wanted or thought should be his way had no place in his rulings. He was an incredibly strict constructionist. And while you can (and I do) disagree with that type of judicial interpretation his rulings were based in that. He believed in a strict separation of powers.

RBG was multiple magnitudes smarter than I am. So, if she found that she was able to be friends with him, I’m not one to second guess.

And Scalia would vehemently argue that what he wanted or thought should be his way had no place in his rulings. He was an incredibly strict constructionist. And while you can (and I do) disagree with that type of judicial interpretation his rulings were based in that. He believed in a strict separation of powers.

A strict constructionist who died at a NRA lobbyists’ hunting lodge on a free trip

Fuck that crooked piece of shit too. There is a real argument to be made that Scalia’s corrupted “constructionism” has led to the deaths of thousands of children.

Scalia, and now Thomas, are bad men. The sooner they die, the better.

Last edited:

Yep. And that's the best reason for justices to serve 18 years terms and to not replace justices when they die. And for that matter, all legislators should have a backup who will take over for them and complete their term when they are unable to serve due to sickness or death.

Oh no I hope it isn’t serious get better soon

giphy.gif

Yeah, lifetime appointments in an age where rich jurists live to be 90 years old instead of dying of the flu or chocking on their wooden teeth at age 65 means a lot less turnover on the court than THE FOUNDERS likely envisioned. There should be a 20-year term on these appointments. But, oh well, too late, this is what we've got and we get to root for and against life support systems.

Yeah, I really wasn't mad that conservatives were celebrating RBGs death, I was-and still am-mad about who they wanted to replace her with, and why.

Yeah, lifetime appointments in an age where rich jurists live to be 90 years old instead of dying of the flu or chocking on their wooden teeth at age 65 means a lot less turnover on the court than THE FOUNDERS likely envisioned. There should be a 20-year term on these appointments. But, oh well, too late, this is what we've got and we get to root for and against life support systems.

hmmm-thinking.gif

Hey look the GOP's obsession with child sex is on display again, from that turd Josh Hawley. You people are something

Scalia was always clear that he was not a strict constructionist -- he hated it, in fact, said no one should be a strict constructionist. He was a textualist and originalist, and he would move away from those theories (or mold them to his desired outcome) when he wanted.

Back