• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

i went to the gym yesterday for the first time since i started my marathon training (like back around October) and it was very depressing to realize that i completely lost what little upper body strength i had. need to hit the weights a little bit harder

A friend just went out and bought the Garmin 605. It made me think about going back to look at some of the other models I passed up in favor of the 305.

Amazon has raised the price on the 305(7 year old hardware) by $100. I bought it with the HRM for $125. It is now almost $250. Unbelievable.

just finished Once A Runner. good stuff.

although it made me feel super slow, I can understand some of the feelings in there.

A friend just went out and bought the Garmin 605. It made me think about going back to look at some of the other models I passed up in favor of the 305.

Amazon has raised the price on the 305(7 year old hardware) by $100. I bought it with the HRM for $125. It is now almost $250. Unbelievable.

This reminds me - my Garmin just died (I forget which model I had - 205 or 305 I think... it is several years old and was quite bulky)... I can't bear the thought of running outside without a GPS watch, so, what are you people using... what do you recommend these days? I don't need the waterproof ones for multi-sport since I rarely swim. Mainly need the basics - distance and speed tracking, time, instantaneous pace, etc...

This reminds me - my Garmin just died (I forget which model I had - 205 or 305 I think... it is several years old and was quite bulky)... I can't bear the thought of running outside without a GPS watch, so, what are you people using... what do you recommend these days? I don't need the waterproof ones for multi-sport since I rarely swim. Mainly need the basics - distance and speed tracking, time, instantaneous pace, etc...

If you are willing to get the same one, call them up and they will send you a replacement for about $85 including shipping. It's a lot better than having to buy a new one.

My friend just bought the $350 610 model. It is nice, but I'm not a fan of the touchscreen.

so tomorrow is national run to work day. anybody else planning on participating?

i wanted to do it, and am planning on it. but it took WAY more planning ahead than i was counting on. not only did i have to make sure that i had everything at work today for tomorrow, but i also had to make sure that i was able to leave all of that stuff here for the weekend, since i'll have to run home too. that involved some serious scrounging for makeup (fingers crossed i don't look like a clown for work tomorrow), etc.

and i still haven't figured out how to bring my phone in. my credit card/ID/keys will fit in my pocket pretty well, but my phone is too big. i may just have to leave it at home tomorrow.

I'd just wear a backpack, if I were you (perhaps one of those rope packs). I suggest putting your things inside a plastic bag first to save them from back sweat. Your runs tomorrow are more about the experience than getting serious training in, so run easy and the pack shouldn't bother you much.

so tomorrow is national run to work day. anybody else planning on participating?

i wanted to do it, and am planning on it. but it took WAY more planning ahead than i was counting on. not only did i have to make sure that i had everything at work today for tomorrow, but i also had to make sure that i was able to leave all of that stuff here for the weekend, since i'll have to run home too. that involved some serious scrounging for makeup (fingers crossed i don't look like a clown for work tomorrow), etc.

and i still haven't figured out how to bring my phone in. my credit card/ID/keys will fit in my pocket pretty well, but my phone is too big. i may just have to leave it at home tomorrow.

no shower option here at work so will just do my normal predawn miles but a great concept.

anyone here going to the Winter Seminar/Bart Yasso thing on Saturday? I'll be there.

No shower option at work, so this isn't feasible. I will run by my office during my morning run though, so that should count for something. Cool idea though.

wow, definitely a lot of planning involved there. nice job getting all the logistics worked out.

I work over 19 miles from home and that's via interstate, and I just don't have time to run 3-4 hours to work (and again at the end of the day). :p Also no shower available at the office.

anyone here going to the Winter Seminar/Bart Yasso thing on Saturday? I'll be there.

I'm going - looking forward to it.

First I've heard about it, but I might as well. I'll probably run the 2 miles to the office with a backpack, drop it off and get in a few more miles. That should make the logistics pretty easy for me.

No chance I take on the hill up 1st Street tomorrow. Maybe I'll walk to/from work as a nice compromise.

you can do it mang!

i could actually pull this off as well but i'd probably have to leave my laptop etc. at home. there are also isolated T-storms from 6-8am.

wow, three miles each way? or round trip? that's quite a walk!

It's 3 miles each way. I used to walk both ways before we got the dog. Now I walk to work and LadyDeacToy takes the dog for the pre-work walk, then I Metro home so I can let her out (walking home would keep her cooped up for longer obviously).

Luckily it's been a pretty mild winter in DC, so I've been able to walk most days (unless I was in a hurry or had to be in to work early or something). I can usually walk through most of the winter, but have to Metro for a lot of the summer so I don't stroll into work even more of a sweaty mess.

Back