• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

These relays seems to be popping up all over. I see there is a new one this fall called the Tuna Run (www.tunarun200.com) that goes from Raleigh to Atlantic Beach. My group is thinking of doing it - it is in October. We were considering the Blue Ridge this year as well... We all think we need to do one of these at least once...

HAH.

Wow, Lake Benson Park? That's like five minutes from my house. We had campouts there all the time in the Boy Scouts and met at the church next to it. Also have a beach house near Atlantic Beach. Weird that they're running a route that I'm intimately familiar with.

My freshman year Wake roommate and I (who have remained friends since) ran together today and were aiming for 2:00 (she had run a half before, but this was my first).

Are either of your initials SG?

Edit: Actually, if they were, you would probably be LadyDeac02, so nevermind.

Thoughts?

t214n_0784

I run with a guy that wears these. He gets lots of attention for them. He says they are great shoes though.

HAH.

Wow, Lake Benson Park? That's like five minutes from my house. We had campouts there all the time in the Boy Scouts and met at the church next to it. Also have a beach house near Atlantic Beach. Weird that they're running a route that I'm intimately familiar with.

If they make you run Hwy. 70 that will be the most boring race imaginable. I hate even making that drive. But I guess their options are limited...

I'm liking the fit of these shoes. It is such a nice day outside that I'm going to forego the treadmill running and run a local 5 mile loop that is all old blacktop so it should be fine for them.

Bought some Brooks Pure Flows today. $80 at Omega after using a $15 off coupon (sale ends tomorrow).

Have heard great things. Can't wait to try them out (pick them up tomorrow). Now both pairs of shoes I rotate will have low heel to toe drops.

ugh its already started to get hot down here in Tallahassee. want to go our for a workout now but its 80 degrees and afraid if i wait til it cools off a bit i won't actually go out

ugh its already started to get hot down here in Tallahassee. want to go our for a workout now but its 80 degrees and afraid if i wait til it cools off a bit i won't actually go out

just go get your sweat on. it feels good. (note: I'm trying to convince myself too)

Yeah, I'm not ready for the heat yet. I've taken the last few days off after the half, but want to start up again tomorrow either running or doing some alternative workout. Luckily it's still ok in the mornings when I typically run (I haven't been much of an afternoon runner over the last 6-7 years).

just got back in. ran over to Doak Campbell (about 1 mile away from my house) and did stadiums around the lower half of the stadium. the weather there and back wasn't too bad but i was cooking on those metal bleachers. i survived though...not looking forward to the summer months, hopefully i can find a job after graduation somewhere with a more mild summer than Tally

ETA: don't worry i wore a WF football dri fit while doing the stadiums

Last edited:
Bought some Brooks Pure Flows today. $80 at Omega after using a $15 off coupon (sale ends tomorrow).

Have heard great things. Can't wait to try them out (pick them up tomorrow). Now both pairs of shoes I rotate will have low heel to toe drops.

yessssss
can't wait to hear how you like them; i love my pure connects. (btw, if you do like them- REI carries them, too; 20% off coupon starts this weekend... good opportunity to pick up a second pair for backup)

Phewww. Hot as hell outside, but I just crushed 5 miles. I'm really liking these shoes! No blisters so far...

not running, but people need to cross-train occasionally, right?

i just took a preview class at a new spin place in charlotte called flywheel (there are several other cities with locations, but this is new to charlotte. it opens officially on friday. right now the classes are free, you just have to sign up). it's run by wake alums, and is in the cotswold area. by far the best spin class i have ever taken. i realize that it's not really fair to compare a purely spin-focused company to a place like the Y, but still, it is just such a drastic improvement. they incorporated some upper body weights into the class as well.

it is pretty pricey, but if you're looking for a good spin class and cost isn't a big concern, definitely check them out.

http://north-carolina.flywheelsports.com/locations/charlotte

coworker: I'm training for a marathon - I don't know how you do it!
me: oh yeah? which one?
coworker: I haven't run a race in at least 5 years. so it's just a little marathon. a 5k.
me: ahh, okay. good luck!

:rulz:

coworker: I haven't run a race in at least 5 years. so it's just a little marathon. a 5k.

I do think it is funny how often people mistake the distances of races.

If they make you run Hwy. 70 that will be the most boring race imaginable. I hate even making that drive. But I guess their options are limited...

Yeah, my family switches between driving straight up 70 to Morehead and cutting off on 58 in Kinston to go in the other end of the island. I was thinking the same thing, though. Either way would be really boring. Coming over from the East side of the island would at least make a much better approach to the finish... although taking the bridge straight to the beach is pretty cool as well.

Cool, after switching to 4mm, I can't imagine going back to a 12mm drop.

yessssss
can't wait to hear how you like them; i love my pure connects. (btw, if you do like them- REI carries them, too; 20% off coupon starts this weekend... good opportunity to pick up a second pair for backup)

Wow, those look an awful lot like my Kinvaras.

yessssss

REI can't get to Cincinnati soon enoughhhhhh

this makes me irrationally upset but i feel like a douche if i try to correct them. when i was in Americorps we used to volunteer at a lot of 5 or 10ks and one of my friends used to always say she was going to volunteer at a marathon and i wanted to punch her in the face every time

Back