• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I do think it is funny how often people mistake the distances of races.

I'm running a marathon.
How long is that?
Derp.

Although maybe it's not as much general knowledge as I perceive that to be.

Wow, those look an awful lot like my Kinvaras.

The Connect and Pure Flow are basically Brooks's versions of the Kinvara

this makes me irrationally upset but i feel like a douche if i try to correct them. when i was in Americorps we used to volunteer at a lot of 5 or 10ks and one of my friends used to always say she was going to volunteer at a marathon and i wanted to punch her in the face every time

yeah, I didn't want to be like "ohhhhh not a marathon." some people I'd pick on and say that to, but this coworker and I aren't that close.

Anyone else signed up for Charlotte RaceFest in a few weeks? Just signed up for the 1/2 today. Looks like I missed the tech shirt cutoff by a few days. Hope they have extras anyway.

Other than RaceFest, I am planning Baltimore marathon Oct 13th. We're getting a group together to raise money for a friend whose kid was born with EB and goes through hundreds of dollars of bandages a week that aren't covered by insurance. Then running the MCM October 28th. Hoping to slot onto a BlueRidge Relay team as well. That's my race schedule for now. Amazing that the two fall races I want to run fall on weekends where Wake either has a bye weekend or a Thursday night game.

yeah, I didn't want to be like "ohhhhh not a marathon." some people I'd pick on and say that to, but this coworker and I aren't that close.

My petty self is just disappointed in thinking that's all they think I do. Like, she realizes you actually run 26.2, right?

Anyone else signed up for Charlotte RaceFest in a few weeks? Just signed up for the 1/2 today. Looks like I missed the tech shirt cutoff by a few days. Hope they have extras anyway.Other than RaceFest, I am planning Baltimore marathon Oct 13th. We're getting a group together to raise money for a friend whose kid was born with EB and goes through hundreds of dollars of bandages a week that aren't covered by insurance. Then running the MCM October 28th. Hoping to slot onto a BlueRidge Relay team as well. That's my race schedule for now. Amazing that the two fall races I want to run fall on weekends where Wake either has a bye weekend or a Thursday night game.

Yeah man, that's the half I'm training for. Only a few weeks away, so I'm getting kind of nervous. Gotta run 11 this Saturday.

Anyone else signed up for Charlotte RaceFest in a few weeks? Just signed up for the 1/2 today. Looks like I missed the tech shirt cutoff by a few days. Hope they have extras anyway.

Other than RaceFest, I am planning Baltimore marathon Oct 13th. We're getting a group together to raise money for a friend whose kid was born with EB and goes through hundreds of dollars of bandages a week that aren't covered by insurance. Then running the MCM October 28th. Hoping to slot onto a BlueRidge Relay team as well. That's my race schedule for now. Amazing that the two fall races I want to run fall on weekends where Wake either has a bye weekend or a Thursday night game.

I signed up for Racefest last week. I was supposed to run it last year, but I bagged it because the weather was awful and my friends gave me a hard time about it all year. I'm hoping to break my PR of 1:47:58 if everything goes right.

I'm also signing up for the Mount Holly Springfest 5K, as well as Run for the Money in Gastonia, as well as the Grand Prix series since it's only $160 this year. My schedule is going to be crammed with races.

I was thinking about the BRR, but I had to miss the NCSU game last year, and this year it falls on a home date with UNC which I'm not planning to miss.

I was thinking about the BRR, but I had to miss the NCSU game last year, and this year it falls on a home date with UNC which I'm not planning to miss.

Oops...nevermind. I forgot to check the schedule on that one.

My petty self is just disappointed in thinking that's all they think I do. Like, she realizes you actually run 26.2, right?

yeah I think she knows I do the "big" marathon. you know, the long one. like 20 miles or something? oh they think it's all the same after a certain distance. it's not.

kind of along the same lines, but i get annoyed at the people who think that because you run marathons, 5ks are a piece of cake. i want to be like "you run as fast as you can for 3 miles and tell me it doesn't hurt."

(read this thread right after the pet peeve thread. sorry)

Hey LBE, don't be putting down 5kers.

kind of along the same lines, but i get annoyed at the people who think that because you run marathons, 5ks are a piece of cake. i want to be like "you run as fast as you can for 3 miles and tell me it doesn't hurt."

I agree. In many ways, I think the 800, mile, and 5k are much more difficult than the marathon.

Yes, running for 2-4 hours is hard, but a very different kind of hard.

Hey LBE, don't be putting down 5kers.

I agree. In many ways, I think the 800, mile, and 5k are much more difficult than the marathon.

Yes, running for 2-4 hours is hard, but a very different kind of hard.

i think this is the key. i don't necessarily think that one is harder than another. i think they're just a different kind of hard. the marathon hurts a LOT more after the fact, and can screw up your consistency in training for weeks, whereas the day after a 5k, you're fine and dandy. but DURING the race, i think a 5k hurts a lot more. to me, it's basically just sheer misery for 20 minutes.

5k's at at sub-20 pace are hard. But 5k's for people who call 5k's marathons are a totally different animal, and a totally different kind of hard. For them, it's hard to finish. They call it a 3-mile Fun Run. Nobody ever seriously called a marathon a 26-mile Fun Run. The same goes for a 10k.

5k's at at sub-20 pace are hard. But 5k's for people who call 5k's marathons are a totally different animal, and a totally different kind of hard. For them, it's hard to finish.

there is a middle ground, you know. I'll never get under 20 minutes for a 5k but I'm pushing hard for 24 minutes, and I certainly don't call a 5k a marathon.

If you are into barefoot or minimalist running. Take a look at this study.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/A..._of_Running_Barefoot_versus_Shod__.98716.aspx

Purpose: Based on mass alone, one might intuit that running barefoot would exact a lower metabolic cost than running in shoes. Numerous studies have shown that adding mass to shoes increases submaximal oxygen uptake (V[spacing dot above]2) by about 1% per 100 grams per shoe. However, only two of the seven studies on the topic have found a statistically significant difference in (V[spacing dot above]2) between barefoot and shod running. The lack of difference found in these studies suggests that factors other than shoe mass (e.g. barefoot running experience, foot-strike pattern, shoe construction) may play important roles in determining the metabolic cost of barefoot vs. shod running. Our goal was to quantify the metabolic effects of adding mass to the feet and compare oxygen uptake and metabolic power during barefoot vs. shod running while controlling for barefoot running experience, foot-strike pattern and footwear.

Methods: 12 males with substantial barefoot running experience ran at 3.35 m/s with a mid-foot strike pattern on a motorized treadmill, both barefoot and in lightweight cushioned shoes (~150 g/shoe). In additional trials, we attached small lead strips to each foot/shoe (~150, ~300, ~450 g). For each condition, we measured subjects' rates of oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production and calculated metabolic power.

Results: V[spacing dot above]2 increased by approximately 1% for each 100 g added per foot, whether barefoot or shod (p<0.001). However, barefoot and shod running did not significantly differ in V[spacing dot above]2 or metabolic power. A consequence of these two findings was that for footwear conditions of equal mass, shod running had ~3-4% lower V[spacing dot above]2 and metabolic power demand than barefoot running (p<0.05).

Conclusions: Running barefoot offers no metabolic advantage over running in lightweight, cushioned shoes.

Franz%2520Barefoot%2520Graph%2520300x228%255B4%255D.jpg

Yeah, but if you push that 24 minute time to 30 minutes, you'd call it a long warm-up.

Perhaps - if I ever warmed up. I'm probably just defensive because this thread mostly makes me feel incredibly slow. Like the "why even bother" sort of slow.

Our facebook running group had a massive argument about 5Ks vs Marathons that eventually lead to some people leaving the group. Almost anyone can roll out of bed and run a 5K, whereas marathons take a lot more preparation, and the point at which 5Ks become harder than marathons is different for everyone. A 19-minute 5K would be much more difficult for me than a 4:30 marathon, for example.

Also, Mrs. I/Os birthday is coming up, so I got her a gift card to Lululemon among other things. I know it's not something she would buy herself since their stuff is a little expensive, but I think she'll enjoy having some girlier running stuff to wear instead of what Dick's or Sports Authority might have.

Perhaps - if I ever warmed up. I'm probably just defensive because this thread mostly makes me feel incredibly slow. Like the "why even bother" sort of slow.

I, on the other hand, have never seriously considered running a marathon. We were expected to run two miles in 12 miutes for high school soccer. While I definitely can't do it now, a sub-20 5K was definitely doable in the past.

Back