• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

8e72c1fdcfa8ffa29bc1e78b3436b39b.jpg

Elevation profile for my 20 miles today. Moses Cone is a great place to run. Weather was crummy, but cool trails.

I have tried the Cliff shots but after two the stomach starts to have problems. I appreciate the help though. I wasn't as worried over the summer but now...

clif shots and GU use maltodextrin for a sweetener, which can bother some people's stomach. Give honey stingers a try

There's always gummi bears if other things give you a problem. I've heard of people using those or caramel pieces.

My friend swears by Fig Newtons. GUs send her to the nearest portapotty

My friend swears by Fig Newtons. GUs send her to the nearest portapotty

I have always used GUs and had no problem - but the key is finding what works for you.

Every full marathon I have run I died somewhere between 18-21 and missed my goal. In retrospect I believe my problem was inadequate pre-race nutrition. I can't stand to eat solid food before a race so I would just eat a couple of GUs and try to keep up with my caloric needs during the race with more GUs - like one every 3-4 miles. But I think I needed more calories as a base when I started.
A friend of mine drinks a couple of ENSUREs before a marathon - that is like 600 calories and it is liquid, not solid. If I ever do another full I am going to try that.

The prerace fueling could have been a problem for me now that I think of it. Early in the week I didn't eat the best as I was traveling and just not paying attention to what I ate. It got better in the day or two before the run, but I bet some of the junk I ate earlier in the week came into play. Oh well. sounds like I need to figure out the whole fueling thing (which is something I have never had a problem with before) and start getting some more long runs in to build up endurance.

Thanks for all the help.

I have always used GUs and had no problem - but the key is finding what works for you.

Every full marathon I have run I died somewhere between 18-21 and missed my goal. In retrospect I believe my problem was inadequate pre-race nutrition. I can't stand to eat solid food before a race so I would just eat a couple of GUs and try to keep up with my caloric needs during the race with more GUs - like one every 3-4 miles. But I think I needed more calories as a base when I started.
A friend of mine drinks a couple of ENSUREs before a marathon - that is like 600 calories and it is liquid, not solid. If I ever do another full I am going to try that.

I assume you mean if I ever do another full, I'm going to try that during one of my long training runs.

Anyone ever heard of or use Milestone Pod? Was just reading about it. Like an odometer for your running shoes.

I should probably just ask hops directly, but question for the marathoners as I start another taper madness. My goal for City of Oaks has been sub 4:30 (DC was about 4:38 with a hard bonk the last 6 miles or so). My plan was to start with the 4:15 pace group, and as long as I stayed in front of the 4:30 group I would be satisfied. My logic being that the 4:15 pace seems manageable, and it would be easier to stay in front of 4:30 than try to catch 4:15 if I'm feeling strong.

All that said, checked the race website yesterday, and they don't have a 4:15 pacer. Just 4 and 4:30. I've never used a pacer before, but my tendency is always to start too fast. Should I stick with the 4:30s for 13 or so and see what I have at the end or just try to pace myself 4:15?

how did you do most of your long training runs? did you go steady the whole time and maintain one pace (and possibly slow down a little as you went?)? if that's the case, i'd try your best to pace yourself for 4:15. If you did any negative-split long runs and know/trust your body to kick it up and maintain that, then maybe start w/ the 4:30 group and push it a little after 13.1.

that's my thinking.
good luck, regardless!

Woah... I'd forgotten how much faster you run in the cold. Hello, 40 degrees.

Also, screw you Al Gore. I had to wear a long sleeve shirt today. Global warming my ass.

I should probably just ask hops directly, but question for the marathoners as I start another taper madness. My goal for City of Oaks has been sub 4:30 (DC was about 4:38 with a hard bonk the last 6 miles or so). My plan was to start with the 4:15 pace group, and as long as I stayed in front of the 4:30 group I would be satisfied. My logic being that the 4:15 pace seems manageable, and it would be easier to stay in front of 4:30 than try to catch 4:15 if I'm feeling strong.

All that said, checked the race website yesterday, and they don't have a 4:15 pacer. Just 4 and 4:30. I've never used a pacer before, but my tendency is always to start too fast. Should I stick with the 4:30s for 13 or so and see what I have at the end or just try to pace myself 4:15?

This could go either way. I've found that starting slower and picking up the pace works much better for me then the run and hold on in the later miles. However, the key is picking up the pace at the right moment and that can change depending on race day conditions, fueling, feeling good on race day, etc.

how did you do most of your long training runs? did you go steady the whole time and maintain one pace (and possibly slow down a little as you went?)? if that's the case, i'd try your best to pace yourself for 4:15. If you did any negative-split long runs and know/trust your body to kick it up and maintain that, then maybe start w/ the 4:30 group and push it a little after 13.1.

that's my thinking.
good luck, regardless!

I've "banked and bonked" almost every run I've ever done. It's so damn hard to hold back.

How are you motivated best in races? Extrinsic/intrinsic? If you're pushing yourself, I'd say try to keep a pace at 4:15 on your own. If others/the crowd help you, I'd start with the 4:30 group and see how you feel at different miles starting with ~10 or so, to see if you want to try to run with the 4:00 group. Tough if you're extrinsically motivated to keep yourself from super-adrenaline pounding the start of the race though.

How are you motivated best in races? Extrinsic/intrinsic? If you're pushing yourself, I'd say try to keep a pace at 4:15 on your own. If others/the crowd help you, I'd start with the 4:30 group and see how you feel at different miles starting with ~10 or so, to see if you want to try to run with the 4:00 group. Tough if you're extrinsically motivated to keep yourself from super-adrenaline pounding the start of the race though.

Intrinsic, I think at least. Though I tend to naturally pick up the pace whenever I hear footsteps if that makes sense. I think that advice makes sense, and is likely the way I go. I was just looking forward to having someone else set that manageable pace for the first 13-18 miles without me having to think about it or focus at all.

Intrinsic, I think at least. Though I tend to naturally pick up the pace whenever I hear footsteps if that makes sense. I think that advice makes sense, and is likely the way I go. I was just looking forward to having someone else set that manageable pace for the first 13-18 miles without me having to think about it or focus at all.

You will probably naturally fall in with some folks that are trying to set a similar pace - at least I typically find that I keep seeing the same people. Once I realize they are running my goal pace I will just try to stay with them, like my own little pace group...

Running watches are funny things. I ran the same route on Monday and today. It's a different distance and the elevation is way off...

j7RjDVX.jpg

Back