• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Which hill was this? They shut down the road near my house this morning and I had to take an alternate way around my bhole to get where I was going and that kind of sucks led but congrats on your run.

On the greenway, maybe Reedy Creek, just past Meredith College. It drops down and there is some boardwalk almost halfway down.

I am starting to run again (after a rather lengthy layoff after track in high school). Hopefully working my way up to a 5k in a bit. Any advice?

I'm literally starting from scratch, so I'm planning on taking my time. Also trying to eat better, so any helpful tips for snacks and meals would be greatly appreciated as well.

I am in the market for shoes as well since I don't own a good pair of running shoes.

Basically any advice for a n00b is welcome.

1. go somewhere and get fit for running shoes.
2. there are myriad online training options to get you up to a 5k.
3. snacks: fruits and veggies with nut butters or hummus, though one of my favorite things right now is to make a box of the trader joe's pumpkin muffins by mixing one box of mix w/ one can of pumpkin puree. mix up (makes a pretty thick batter), pour into muffin tins, bake as directed. makes for a good carb-y/healthy-ish snack.
4. get running socks - not cotton.

1. go somewhere and get fit for running shoes.
2. there are myriad online training options to get you up to a 5k.
3. snacks: fruits and veggies with nut butters or hummus, though one of my favorite things right now is to make a box of the trader joe's pumpkin muffins by mixing one box of mix w/ one can of pumpkin puree. mix up (makes a pretty thick batter), pour into muffin tins, bake as directed. makes for a good carb-y/healthy-ish snack.
4. get running socks - not cotton.

TITCR.

She said "nut butter".

Good luck with it.

Other snacks I like - Quest Bars, Trader Joe's Inner Peas, Skinny Pop

IMHO, you should also get some tech shirts instead of cotton shirts for running. They help regulate your body temperature better and cause less chafing.

And I 2nd, she said "nut butter."

Producing said "nut butter" should be the easiest thing about this endeavor. Running sounds fun.

I am starting to run again (after a rather lengthy layoff after track in high school). Hopefully working my way up to a 5k in a bit. Any advice?

I'm literally starting from scratch, so I'm planning on taking my time. Also trying to eat better, so any helpful tips for snacks and meals would be greatly appreciated as well.

I am in the market for shoes as well since I don't own a good pair of running shoes.

Basically any advice for a n00b is welcome.

Fleet Feet for getting fitted for running shoes.
Online for training options, but feel free to ask questions here as well
If you're going to snack, try and make them healthy.
Ease into it, don't start jacking up your mileage too fast. Also, winter is coming, do not be deterred by cold temps, they are actually fun to run in if you dress accordingly

Producing said "nut butter" should be the easiest thing about this endeavor. Running sounds fun.

Running sucked ass for the first couple of months. After that, it got fun.

Running also sucks for the first .5mi. After that, it's fun unless it's 90+ or cold/wet/windy (pick at least 2). I ran in 40 degree, wind and rain last Saturday and only did 3mi. I'll tell you, it sucked ass.

I'll say it again: Nut butter. I've been loving sunflower seed butter lately, but it's expensive shit.

Agreed w/ bym; running sucks for the first mile or so, but if you can push through that discomfort your muscles start to remember they actually work and it's smooth sailing from there.

Found this just now and thought I'd share for noob questions.

http://completerunning.com/archives/2006/09/12/100-beginner-running-tips/

I'll echo 1. After about a mile, compression shorts are a must unless you enjoy testicular bouncing.

Also, I'm really bad at 12.

Learn to run without music. It's safer and you get to see more of the world around you!

I prefer built in briefs in shorts, but I have a pair of Asics shorts with some sort of microfiber boxer brief lining, and they are amazing. Wore them for this last marathon with minimal chaffing. The top of my wiener almost always chafes on anything over 12ish.

I'm also on team #noipods

I'm also on team #noipods

I've gotten to dislike people who are listening to music. If you run up behind them, they can't hear you (even if you say something) and then they act like you've jumped out at them.

My brother takes his iPhone, but just has the Nike app running to call out miles. He has a watch, so IDGI.

I've gotten to dislike people who are listening to music. If you run up behind them, they can't hear you (even if you say something) and then they act like you've jumped out at them.

My brother takes his iPhone, but just has the Nike app running to call out miles. He has a watch, so IDGI.

For me personally, not taking my phone on runs anymore was the most significant shift I ever made with training.

It's a huge safety issue, that's my biggest beef with it.

If you want to go to the gym and listen to tunes, whatever gets you up and active is great... but that's a controlled environment. If you're outside, and ESPECIALLY if you're alone (esp. women), it's just dumb.

If you want to go to the gym and listen to tunes, whatever gets you up and active is great... but that's a controlled environment. If you're outside, and ESPECIALLY if you're alone (esp. women), it's just dumb.

Eh, that's a pretty broad statement don't you think? I'm male but why do you think it's dumb for me to listen to music or a podcast or something when I run outside? If one is running on city streets, I agree, but I do the majority of my running by myself on trails or paved paths (no cars) or a greenway so until I get mauled by one of those sneaky deer, it doesn't seem dumb to me. For the record I'm probably around 70% ipod/30% no ipod.

It is a safety issue if you are dumb and not cognizant of the world around you. #teampodcast

Back