• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

It's a huge safety issue, that's my biggest beef with it.

If you want to go to the gym and listen to tunes, whatever gets you up and active is great... but that's a controlled environment. If you're outside, and ESPECIALLY if you're alone (esp. women), it's just dumb.

I'll admit to listening on the track indoor and outdoor. Track running is BORING.

No issues with others using an iPod but if you have music blaring and get startled when I pass after shouting "on your left!" I'm going to make a snarky ass comment as I pass you.

Eh, that's a pretty broad statement don't you think? I'm male but why do you think it's dumb for me to listen to music or a podcast or something when I run outside? If one is running on city streets, I agree, but I do the majority of my running by myself on trails or paved paths (no cars) or a greenway so until I get mauled by one of those sneaky deer, it doesn't seem dumb to me. For the record I'm probably around 70% ipod/30% no ipod.

yep, it's broad... but it's also broad to make people wear safety belts all the time when the vast majority of short trips to the store *probably* don't warrant one.

Ok, that was dramatic. I think Portland running has skewed my opinion on this a little bit, because even on the trails there are so many people living in the bushes it's not any less harrowing/any more safe than running next to traffic. You should always be aware of what's going on around you, whether it's a car approaching or footsteps behind you that seemingly came out of nowhere.

one earphone out is the smart way to go if you like to run with music or whatever, otherwise, you should turn your music down low enough so you could essentially have the same awareness you'd have without them in

you should have enough to focus on with your form and breathing during training anyway until you get to long runs

oh and if you are running and it's even the slightest bit dark and there may be cars near where you run, wear a REFLECTIVE VEST. If not, you are a moron.

one earphone out is the smart way to go if you like to run with music or whatever, otherwise, you should turn your music down low enough so you could essentially have the same awareness you'd have without them in

you should have enough to focus on with your form and breathing during training anyway until you get to long runs

yeah, this plays into my disdain for it as well... but i also recognize the vast majority of folks out for a jog are just trying to exercise, not train, so they're looking more for the motivation of the beat or whatever.

'you do you' and all that jazz, i guess, though I maintain that it's not safe.

oh and if you are running and it's even the slightest bit dark and there may be cars near where you run, wear a REFLECTIVE VEST. If not, you are a moron.

Fuck you, mom.

If it's dark, I do take my knuckle lights though. 2/3 running jackets are reflective too.

I listen to music or podcasts while I run. I also live in a neighborhood that has sidewalks and greenways and isn't populated by murderous, scheming coyotes, so I think I'll be fine.

I like the people who wear 2-3 vests, reflective wristbands, use their phone flashlight, wear a helmet flashlight, and have all sorts of sparkling blinking lights on them. They look like damn Christmas trees.

yeah, this plays into my disdain for it as well... but i also recognize the vast majority of folks out for a jog are just trying to exercise, not train, so they're looking more for the motivation of the beat or whatever.

'you do you' and all that jazz, i guess, though I maintain that it's not safe.

Are you implying that someone who listens to music while training cannot be competitive on the local running scene? I'm sorry, but unless you are training to be one of the best athletes in the world, it doesn't matter.

Obviously, you shouldn't be listening to your music at full blast, but if you pay attention to your surroundings, have your music turned low enough so that you can hear things around you, and actually look when crossing the street or crosswalks or anytime you are near a busy street, safety shouldn't be a concern.

For those who drink/eat/gelpack during a run, what is the minimum distance you plan on running before deciding to take that stuff with you?

Are you implying that someone who listens to music while training cannot be competitive on the local running scene? I'm sorry, but unless you are training to be one of the best athletes in the world, it doesn't matter.

Obviously, you shouldn't be listening to your music at full blast, but if you pay attention to your surroundings, have your music turned low enough so that you can hear things around you, and actually look when crossing the street or crosswalks or anytime you are near a busy street, safety shouldn't be a concern.

lol, no - that's a personal issue based on the habits/comments of a couple people I know.

And yes, obviously you shouldn't be listening to your music at full blast. People still do it, and I run into them (almost literally) far more frequently than I come across people who are wearing headphones AND hear me coming.

lol, no - that's a personal issue based on the habits/comments of a couple people I know.

And yes, obviously you shouldn't be listening to your music at full blast. People still do it, and I run into them (almost literally) far more frequently than I come across people who are wearing headphones AND hear me coming.

You'd think there would be more considerate runners out there.

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Fall Running is Fun Running

For those who drink/eat/gelpack during a run, what is the minimum distance you plan on running before deciding to take that stuff with you?

Probably 9-10 miles for gels. Depends on how I fuel before, weather, location, pace, etc.

I stopped carrying fluids with me for most runs this year. Anything longer than 7 miles, I'm almost certainly doing at Salem Lake and just use the fountains.

I typically drink some water or gatorade every two miles, and pop a gel every 4.

Last edited:

10 miles.
If it's super hot, I might bring water for a run shorter than that.

I like the people who wear 2-3 vests, reflective wristbands, use their phone flashlight, wear a helmet flashlight, and have all sorts of sparkling blinking lights on them. They look like damn Christmas trees.

I'd rather be lit up like a Christmas tree than get hit by a car. The most I've worn is a reflective vest, blinkies front and back, and carried a light, so not quite all of those, but I do try to be visible. Even though I feel silly sometimes. Don't know why dressing to be visible makes me feel like such a noob, but it does.

About a 2 hour run before I think about taking in calories. I like to carry water in the summer when it's really hot, if I'm out for 60-90 minutes (or more). Like Df07 said, I'm often at Salem Lake for longer runs and use the water fountains, but even so I'd rather have the option for water on my schedule and not planning around the fountains. Then in the winter the fountains are turned off. It's also easiest for me to carry my car key in my water bottle pocket, so I sometimes bring the bottle more for that than anything else.

I'm pretty sure 50* and sunny is the greatest of all great running weather.

also, count me in on tons of reflective stuff (be it for cycling or running) making me feel like a n00b... but i definitely wear it all, as it's better than the alternative.

I'm thinking I'll be back to doing a little running this week after 2 full weeks rest after the 40-miler. Plans for the spring include running the HAT 50K again. Also am debating about pushing it and doing the Frosty 50K in January too. Hmmmmm.

Back