• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Dew point around 70 this morning, 92% humidity. Had a rather bad run. Doesn't help that I was doing (my slow version of) sprints last night for the last session of Ultimate Runner training.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do this weekend in regards to training. I am 2 weeks out from my next marathon which I basically have not trained for as I signed up pretty late in the game. So I should do 20 miles on Saturday or Sunday. But I've got the Ultimate Runner (1 mile, 400m, 800m, 100m, 5k xc) on Saturday evening and I want to not totally embarrass myself there.

I'm obviously out of shape and won't have a strong performance at either event, but I don't want to just skip preparation entirely. Hmm. Maybe I'll do like 15 on Saturday morning and pretend that the extra mileage from Ultimate Runner counts toward my training.

The late spring / summer slowdown is tough, mentally. Running 20-25 sec/mile faster, just a month ago is hard to mentally justify.

12 Hours of Tsali coming up this weekend. Can't decide whether to race or party for that 12 hours. I mean, I'm gonna pedal 12 hour either way, but... Maybe I'll get a few laps in (10 miles each) and then make the call. On the podium? Gotta keep working. But if not... well, there shall be brown liquor.

I'm uber sore from a TT race last night on top of last weekend's 6 hour race, so I'm leaning heavy toward the party. I mean, it's Fontana. And all good Wake grads know what you do at Fontana.

Anyone following Western States 100 coverage?

Some dude is 30 minutes ahead of record pace about halfway through. Getting hot out there, might see some blow ups.

Guy was on course record pace, missed a turn in the low 90 mile mark, 40 minutes off course.

Some other dude won. Crazy.

12 Hours of Tsali coming up this weekend. Can't decide whether to race or party for that 12 hours. I mean, I'm gonna pedal 12 hour either way, but... Maybe I'll get a few laps in (10 miles each) and then make the call. On the podium? Gotta keep working. But if not... well, there shall be brown liquor.

I'm uber sore from a TT race last night on top of last weekend's 6 hour race, so I'm leaning heavy toward the party. I mean, it's Fontana. And all good Wake grads know what you do at Fontana.

Party complete. Mixed in about 80 miles on the trail for a 12th place finish, but saddle rash eventually pulled me off the bike in the 9th hour. So I mostly hung out, drank beer, and ate food. Great success.

Big congrats to RTQ on knocking out a 6th Ultimate Runner

Thanks! My times were pretty poor compared to what I've done in the past, but I also only went to the track three times leading up to the race. Can't do well without training. Now, just 2 weeks until a marathon I'm totally untrained for!

YOU GUYS.
Stage Racing is the best. Here's the recap nobody cares about:
Stage 1 - Friday morning - 40 mi road race - They raced the cat 4 ladies (me) with the pro/1/2/3 ladies and that did some funny things to the field; I ended up in a group off the back of the main 1/2/3 peloton, but with all of my other Cat 4 ladies (and a few Cat 3 women) - with the exception of one Cat 4 lady who should be a Cat 2, but doesn't have the races under her belt to request an upgrade yet. I pretty much wrote her off as a sure win for our category and had a goal for myself to get second to her for the weekend. Had a good time putting some hurt on the other ladies on the big climb of the day, knowing I could wear down their legs for the rest of the weekend and still be fine for myself.
Stage 2 - Friday evening - 1 mi uphill TT - put in a good warm-up on the trainer for this one, and then just embraced the suck. Put down a respectable 5:38 for the mile, which was an average grade of 6% with some solid little kickers in there as the road snaked up to the finish. I have never been so close to vomiting at the end of an effort.
Stage 3 - Saturday morning - 11mi standard TT - crushed it. I started next-to-last in my category based on the finish of the uphill TT from the night before, and I passed every woman who started in front of me (and we go off at 30" intervals). I gained a couple seconds back on the first place lady in the division for the General Classification (GC) placing, which is your cumulative time for the weekend's events. Since everyone basically finishes road races at the same time (unless there's a break off the front or you find yourself off the back), there is no time gained/lost there. You make up time on your competitors for the GC in the events like time trials. So yeah, between the uphill an standard TTs, I put 2 minutes and 3 minutes over my next two closest competitors. This was very important.
Stage 4 - Saturday afternoon - criterium race. I *hate* crits. I did fine, arguably put in too much work, but no time lost so whatever.
Stage 5 - the queen stage. Sunday. 85 mile road race, with the last 10 miles being a long slog up to the Anthony Lakes ski resort area. The average grade of the climb is 6%. FOR TEN MILES. To add insult to injury, the last two miles of the climb are closer to a 9-10% grade. https://www.strava.com/activities/622575364 Again, like the first day, they raced all the women together. The top five Cat 4 racers made the selection into the main peloton, so really for the first 70ish miles of the race, it was a pretty chill/moderately-paced group ride of some STRONG women. I sat in and nothing too crazy happened, since all the riders were steeling themselves for the final ten miles, which is where the real race happened. Again, I knew I was 2 and 3 minutes over my next closest competitors, so my whole goal in the climb was to stay in front of those ladies, or at least keep them in my sights if they happened to get in front of me (which I was doubting would happen). Once we started going up, I had a good gap on both of them. 3rd place dropped off (I ended up beating her up the hill by 10 minutes, so apparently her legs were cooked from the efforts of the weekend - totally respectable). 4th place was still in sight behind me for the entirety of the climb, but I was sitting pretty in 2nd place on the stage (again, the 1st place girl was so far up she was not even on my mind). I crushed the climb, and then coming into the finish line the 4th place girl who'd been behind me all climb was suddenly RIGHT THERE. That crazy girl put in some massively strong effort over the last bit of the climb to actually catch me at the line; she took 2nd for the stage, beating me by a second (literally), but since I was still 3 minutes over her for the GC, I still ended up with 2nd place in the General Classification for the weekend.

That 10 mile climb at the end of yesterday was arguably the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike. Physically, it felt harder than the Ironman last year. Racing up a hill like that is no joke, especially at the end of 5 races in 3 days. I am STOKED about finishing 2nd in the GC, and still totally just reveling in the weekend as a whole. Hooray bikes!

Signed up for the Cannonball Full today. Guess I'll figure out my training plan this week. Sitting at 25-30 mpw, with 2 decent bike rides, so I should be in good shape.

Will have to see how my pacing goes. I've done a half at around 7:40, so not sure how that'll translate.

Yeah bym! Have fun with training.

Last week I ran the Missoula Marathon having my long runs in the preceding weeks maxing out at 13 miles. I'd run a marathon on March 5 and nothing longer than 13 since then. Poor planning. Not my best race, but still a 4:25 which is very average for me. It did hurt a little more than usual.

And now, I just put my name into the lottery for the 2017 Big Sur marathon!

Good luck bym and great work in Montana RTQ. Good luck with the Big Sur lottery.

I had a solid 57 mile week last week. Things in a good place leading up to Hut Run Hut in September. Also, likely doing TransRockies Run (http://transrockies-run.com/) next year with a friend from college. AWESOME.

Yeah bym! Have fun with training.

Last week I ran the Missoula Marathon having my long runs in the preceding weeks maxing out at 13 miles. I'd run a marathon on March 5 and nothing longer than 13 since then. Poor planning. Not my best race, but still a 4:25 which is very average for me. It did hurt a little more than usual.

Awesome. It's a stunning course. Hard as hell though.

The pacer I ran with at the Brewfest did the coast to coast Boston / Big Sur this year. Dude was a beast. I'd planned to run a 1:45 pace and he decided we'd just go 1:40 and call it a day.

so much running! I have the cascade lakes relay in a couple weeks... I have not done nearly enough running. Plenty of cycling, but not sure how well that will translate by the time I get to my 3rd leg of the weekend. Meh, I'll live. I'll be sore, but I'll make it.

This past weekend was lots of bikes - demo'd a sweet mountain bike and took it out to one of the trail parks out here. 3 hours later, I was so done. That (mountain biking) is wayyy more mental than anything on the road. Yesterday was the Rapha Women's 100k ride. I was a ride leader and ended up spending the day in the saddle with the woman who rolled up on her commuter bike w/ rack and panniers. We did the whole ride, but averaged 11.5mph. I was happy to have been there for her positive experience, but that was definitely 6 hours in the saddle for a ride that should have been maybe 3.5 hours. Ouch. Hard like saturday, but for totally different reasons.

Last night got some sad news; a woman I know through triathlon (and also the mother of one of my training partners) was hit and killed by a car while out for a training ride last week. Driver drifted into the bike lane and hit her from behind. It hits hard and hits home for a number of reasons. Don't take what we do for granted, and always tell people you love them.

This past weekend was lots of bikes - demo'd a sweet mountain bike and took it out to one of the trail parks out here. 3 hours later, I was so done. That (mountain biking) is wayyy more mental than anything on the road. Yesterday was the Rapha Women's 100k ride. I was a ride leader and ended up spending the day in the saddle with the woman who rolled up on her commuter bike w/ rack and panniers. We did the whole ride, but averaged 11.5mph. I was happy to have been there for her positive experience, but that was definitely 6 hours in the saddle for a ride that should have been maybe 3.5 hours. Ouch. Hard like saturday, but for totally different reasons.

I saw that picture and was going to ask why one woman looked like she was going on vacation.

Last night got some sad news; a woman I know through triathlon (and also the mother of one of my training partners) was hit and killed by a car while out for a training ride last week. Driver drifted into the bike lane and hit her from behind. It hits hard and hits home for a number of reasons. Don't take what we do for granted, and always tell people you love them.

That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear it.

A woman in one of my riding groups is the sister of Kalamazoo survivor. She has a shatter femur, multiple other broken bones and a concussion, but she's alive.

Back