• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Sorry lbe.

I ran into a car door that swung open into the bike lane a few weeks back and the woman was so unapologetic about it.

Just finished the Cascade Lakes Relay this weekend - it was my first running relay race, and it was AWESOME. I had a really great group of women in my van, which makes all the difference in the world, especially since we were one person short and had to split extra legs and cover more turns driving/navigating.
I ended up running just around 25 miles over the two days, which is almost more running than I've done period since Ironman last summer. Thankfully bike fitness did pretty well for me and I was able to maintain a decent pace for each of my legs (7.5 mi in 58', 7.5 mi in 1:02, 1.5mi in 15' (this was at 3:30am after already running, cooling down, and getting stiff... but we had an extra leg in the van to split since we were down a runner), 8.5 mi in 1:19). I had the first leg in Van 1, which was REALLY fortunate - when we handed off to Van 2 in the afternoon, the ground temp on the road was 118*. It was brutal. Thankfully our team stayed in pretty good shape over all - we were on each other's backs about staying hydrated and fed and rested.
There were definitely a few moments of the weekend where I had the thought "we just paid money to do this..." like when waiting in line for a portajohn, and again at dusk when I was getting absolutely swarmed by mosquitoes despite putting on 100% DEET stuff. That said, it was SO COOL to run at 3:30am with all of the stars in the sky and silence all around and the faint bobbing of other people's blinky lights who were also out on the road ahead of and behind me. I will definitely try to do this again, and highly recommend it to anyone. It's a lot less crazy than Hood 2 Coast and has some really, really beautiful scenery.

tl/dr - did a running relay, it was hella fun, would recommend.

whoa. srs q - how do you even train for something like that - get up to 20 miles a day?

This was asked on the chat thread about how I'm preparing for Hut Run Hut (http://hutrunhut.com/home/), a 6-day, 105 mile run from Aspen to Vail in September.

The weekends have been similar to training for an ultra, alternating between one long run (20 miles now, likely peaking at 24) on Saturday and back to back long run weekends. During the week, it's mostly standard with an option to hike on the treadmill at the highest incline for 50-60 minutes each Monday (I haven't done this enough) and a medium long run on Wednesday's (12-13 miles usually so far).

Here's my schedule for this week:
Monday: Run if I want (I did 5)
Tuesday: 60 minutes
Wednesday: 12 miles
Thursday: 7 miles
Friday: rest
Saturday: 15 miles
Sunday: 15 miles

As for preparing for the elevation, well hopefully getting out there 3 days before starting the run will suffice. If not, at least there will be lots of booze in the huts we're staying in.

It's time for me to start actually training for my marathon in 2 months. I'm pretty ok for where I should be (30mpw), but need to get a longer run in. So, I'm going to start going to Salem Lake early on Sunday mornings. I've never been before. Anyone have any tips for it?

I've been told they're doing construction and the main lot is closed, so I should try to park on Linville Rd. I've also been told it's not exactly 7mi.

It's like 6.9 or so. There is a water fountain at the Linville Parking lot (including filtered water!). You can add additional miles on the greenway too.

I've been watching some Olympics so yesterday at the pool I slapped on the goggles and swam 100 meters and I was about to die at the end.

I count a Salem Lake loop as 7 miles... it's close enough. The Linville Road lot gets crowded, but if you're out there early it should be okay. I've seen it full before 8am but I think that's usually a Saturday. Though I can't speak to changes in habits since the construction started. It's a fantastic place to run though, enjoy it! Watch out for bikes and horse poop.

I'm planning to get there around 6:30, so hopefully the lot is not packed by then.

I really hate carrying water, so I figure I can drink and gel when I finish a lap.

assuming the construction hasn't impacted it, there's also a water fountain at the normal (currently closed) parking lot area, which is close to the halfway point from Linville.

assuming the construction hasn't impacted it, there's also a water fountain at the normal (currently closed) parking lot area, which is close to the halfway point from Linville.
I ran through there last Thursday and the water fountain had police tape around it. So I don't know if I'd count on it working.

Otherwise, it's a very easy trail to run only 3 actual hills. The Greenway connects to Old Salem, so you could always park there and run to the lake for some extra miles.

Just registered for the Richmond Half Marathon in November. I haven't trained intentionally for a half marathon in a while, so it will be interesting to see how that goes versus just running it on a whim or during a full marathon training cycle. It was really, really tempting to just run the full since it was only $10 more, but I restrained myself.

I'll save the next marathon for Columbia (SC) Marathon in March. A friend of mine will be the 4:00 pacer, and I'll train & start with another friend who is also gunning for sub-4.

Not sure how a 24 hour race in late September fits into the training plans, but I'll work it out. It's the day after my 32nd birthday so I might aim for 32 miles and then see how that goes. Doesn't have to be all in a row though so it won't truly be like an ultra. Can just be spread over the whole day. Should just be sorta like one of those van team relays, with a few medium runs making up the total longer distance.

I ran Salem Lake yesterday and the main parking lot was open and being used. The water fountains were taped off there. I parked at the Linville Entrance and luckily, that fountain was in operation.

I've run 33 miles and biked 34 miles in the past 4 days (hoping for 15ish on the bike tonight). My legs are really tired.

Back