• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Ugh. First weekend of base miles, and that suuuuuuuuucked. Kind of sucks to come back into longer riding when you've not done anything longer than 45 minutes for a few months. I feel like I'm starting from zero (which I basically am).

Easier to take a ferrari and turn it into a diesel than the other way around! You'll be banging out 4 hours comfy in no time.

I converted to base miles a few weeks back and have decided to hurt myself this Thanksgiving week. Zone 4 intervals 3 days in a row starting... now. Then Saturday... back to base.

Easier to take a ferrari and turn it into a diesel than the other way around! You'll be banging out 4 hours comfy in no time.

I converted to base miles a few weeks back and have decided to hurt myself this Thanksgiving week. Zone 4 intervals 3 days in a row starting... now. Then Saturday... back to base.

oof. Yeah, I know. I think what's bothering me more than anything is that last year at this time, I was cranking out some fairly solid rides. Now, I don't know if this weekend was just an anomaly in my training/fitness (I'm a few days off a cold, it was the first really gross/rainy/headwind ride of the season, etc.) or what... but it was certainly disheartening. I have some big riding plans for the coming days... but still no intervals, other than efforts on hills. First week of december I pick up a computrainer coached session a week, along with a 12 week training plan. Looking forward to getting sweaty. Road season is coming, and I'm racing with the big girls this year!

Is anyone here in the triad running the Mistletoe half?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Is anyone here in the triad running the Mistletoe half?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Run it a few times. It's ok. If you are in Winston, it's great. It hasn't really been the most well organized race in my experience. The course is not easy. Somehow it manages to be uphill both ways.

Haven't been able to run more than 3 miles at a time since July. Finally got the results from the MRI I had last month. It's an arthritic deal(I'm definitely an old now)...1st step is to get new shoes with a stiffer sole and more of a roll to take pressure away. The foot & and ankle doc recommended Hoka shoes. Anybody else had experience with these?

Searched the thread and only saw one post (from GaDeac): About 5 weeks ago, I switched to Hoka Clifton 2 for all of my long runs. I had been wearing Kinvaras, which I still do for my shorter (5 and under) runs. I am amazed at how much fresher my legs feel after long runs with the Hokas.

Very encouraging.

Haven't been able to run more than 3 miles at a time since July. Finally got the results from the MRI I had last month. It's an arthritic deal(I'm definitely an old now)...1st step is to get new shoes with a stiffer sole and more of a roll to take pressure away. The foot & and ankle doc recommended Hoka shoes. Anybody else had experience with these?

Searched the thread and only saw one post (from GaDeac): About 5 weeks ago, I switched to Hoka Clifton 2 for all of my long runs. I had been wearing Kinvaras, which I still do for my shorter (5 and under) runs. I am amazed at how much fresher my legs feel after long runs with the Hokas.

Very encouraging.

One of my older friends loves Hokas.

I know lots of long-distance folks who rave about Hokas.

I have a friend who has had a pair of Hokas and loved them. I've run thousands of miles in several pairs of Saucony Hurricanes which might give you the support you need. The prior year's models can be found for cheap on Amazon.

Very encouraging.

I'm exclusively in Hokas now. I have a pair of Clifton 2 and a pair of Clifton 3 that I am using right now. I plan on adding a pair of Claytons to the mix here shortly. They don't have as much cushioning, but are still very well cushioned and I have been told are a bit stiffer. I love the Cliftons. My only complaint is the toe box being a bit narrow, especially in the 2. They widened it slightly for the 3. I have had two pair of the 2, so obviously it doesn't bother me that much, its just the only complaint I can think of.

It does take a little to get used to the Hokas and I have found they need about 50 miles to really get broken in well. My main problem in the first 50 miles is my feet hurting, but my legs still feel very fresh after using them.

Experienced a "I hate where I live" moment last night. Live in West Palm Beach, Fla. and for about three weeks we have had "cool" weather, mainly runs in the 68-73 degree range, with some dipping down into the 60-63 range, no matter whether running at night or in the morning. Last night, at the start of the run it was 84 degrees. I'm used to that during the summer, it just really sucked last night and, needless to say, after 3 weeks of great runs, last night was awful. More than a minute slower than what I have been doing.

Oh the difference 48 hours can make. So after Tuesday's 84 degree run, at the start of last night's run it was 72 degrees with a slight breeze. The run was more than 5 minutes faster, even with pushing my son's stroller the entire time.

I was updating my race log yesterday and noticed that the pace for my recent half marathon PR was faster than my current 10k PR. Guess I need to find a 10k to race soon for what should be a very doable personal record!

Anyone read anything about Nike's push to breaking 2:00 in the marathon in 2017? Seems interesting, but the timeline is pretty ridiculous.

I was updating my race log yesterday and noticed that the pace for my recent half marathon PR was faster than my current 10k PR. Guess I need to find a 10k to race soon for what should be a very doable personal record!

My 10k PR is also during a half. Thought I'd break it a few weeks ago, but lol hills.

Did anyone else run Kiawah this weekend? I got quite a few Go Deacs!"

It was only my second half but I improved last year's time by 34 minutes. My goal was to take 40 minutes off but I probably shouldn't be too upset. I'm capable of doing it now but my back tightened up around mile 9 which slowed me down quite a bit.

It was only my second half but I improved last year's time by 34 minutes. My goal was to take 40 minutes off but I probably shouldn't be too upset. I'm capable of doing it now but my back tightened up around mile 9 which slowed me down quite a bit.

I ran the half. Did not run a good race. Had some lingering plantar fascia issues related to mileage at work over the summer and going a full year with running at least one mile every single day, so I was less prepared for this race than any I have ever run. Still finished a minute or two faster than my slowest half, so I'll take it. Liked the course ok, and it was very well organized. Switching gears now to training for my Grand Canyon trip in April and the WB Marathon Relay in March. Planning to scale running back to 3 days per week on an 8K training plan and pepper in some more lifting, swimming, biking, and especially hiking (and/or stair master, elliptical, incline treadmill).

34 minutes!!! that's incredibly impressive. congrats.

Back