• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Gave some guy in Wake gear a "Go Deacs" on Cary Parkway late last week. Got nothing. Of course, I realized I was wearing a Clemson running shirt so he might have been confused.

My daughter and I are running the Bridge Run in Charleston next spring... Better start running, huh? Let me know if any of you folks are running it.

I want to run the Bridge Run. It's always been about the same time as the Monument Ave 10k or Cherry Blossom 10mi, which I applied for again next year.

I was updating my race log yesterday and noticed that the pace for my recent half marathon PR was faster than my current 10k PR. Guess I need to find a 10k to race soon for what should be a very doable personal record!

You should definitely count a spilt as your PR, in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree.
You can still designate a race as your fastest 10k open race or whatever, but your PR should just be the fastest time in which you've covered that distance.

Agree 100%. If there's any dissent, my argument is that Garmin automatically does it.

The Official OGBoards Running (and Swimming and Cycling) Thread: WINTER IS COMING

Actually, after re-reading her post let me clarify: you should definitely count a 10k split as your PR, but you absolutely can not count your "pace" as your PR. Hopefully you can find that info.

And there shouldn't ever be any dissent: while an open PR will always trump a split, they're still almost always legit except for 100m and 200m splits en route to 200m and 400m races. And races obviously won't accept them as qualifiers.

That reminds me that I'm still annoyed that Boston won't take half marathon times as qualifiers. Loads of other major races including US Olympic Trials take them.

Last edited:
Yeah. At this point all of my running PRs are splits from triathlons; I wouldn't run a 5k and say I got a PR based on my 6yr old terrible 5k time- I'd be comparing it to my fastest split.

Question for RTQ: if you went out and ran 10k tonight and "PR'd" based on your last race time, would you update your PR in your notes or do you only count things that happen in sanctioned races?

Thanks to everyone for the Hoka feedback. Bought a pair of Bondis Saturday morning and ran Saturday and this morning. Still feeling some pain, but much less than with my Asics GT-2000s. Looking forward to breaking them in and getting back on a regular schedule. They look goofy as hell, but they work for me.

Thanks to everyone for the Hoka feedback. Bought a pair of Bondis Saturday morning and ran Saturday and this morning. Still feeling some pain, but much less than with my Asics GT-2000s. Looking forward to breaking them in and getting back on a regular schedule. They look goofy as hell, but they work for me.

As an Altra wearer, I say, who cares how they look.

Yeah. At this point all of my running PRs are splits from triathlons; I wouldn't run a 5k and say I got a PR based on my 6yr old terrible 5k time- I'd be comparing it to my fastest split.

Question for RTQ: if you went out and ran 10k tonight and "PR'd" based on your last race time, would you update your PR in your notes or do you only count things that happen in sanctioned races?

The half marathon did have a 10k timing strip and that split is 70 second faster than my recorded PR. I've never tried to go all-out in a distance that wasn't during a race, so I don't know what I'd do in that instance. Probably not count it? Since I abandoned my blog, my PRs are only kept in a spreadsheet with all my race info, so I don't know how I'd account for this split-based PR. I added it in the notes of my half marathon entry but can't highlight the relevant column since it wasn't a separate race.

I do still have a my race-a-month streak going (93 straight months with a race so far, and I'm registered for #94 this weekend and #95 in January), so I race all the time. Most people don't do that.

But I guess now if I run a 10k and it's not faster than the split from the half, I don't know if I can still count it as a PR. Better make sure I improve significantly.

I feel like PRs are only for races and only for a race of that distance... But that is just me.

I feel like PRs are only for races and only for a race of that distance... But that is just me.

...but the PR is for a distance. If you run a distance faster than you ever have, regardless of when it happens, that is your personal record for that distance. A race just gives you an opportunity to put your efforts up against others. The beauty of a PERSONAL record is that it can happen whenever.

You wouldn't count a PR in training?

I don't usually do all-out runs in training, nor run exact race distances. Maybe if I ran a certified race route on my own, so I could trust the distance, I'd consider it. But I'd rather just run the race. Easier to make it work in my spreadsheet. :geek:

The half marathon did have a 10k timing strip and that split is 70 second faster than my recorded PR. I've never tried to go all-out in a distance that wasn't during a race, so I don't know what I'd do in that instance. Probably not count it? Since I abandoned my blog, my PRs are only kept in a spreadsheet with all my race info, so I don't know how I'd account for this split-based PR. I added it in the notes of my half marathon entry but can't highlight the relevant column since it wasn't a separate race.

I do still have a my race-a-month streak going (93 straight months with a race so far, and I'm registered for #94 this weekend and #95 in January), so I race all the time. Most people don't do that.

But I guess now if I run a 10k and it's not faster than the split from the half, I don't know if I can still count it as a PR. Better make sure I improve significantly.

Just make another worksheet labeled "PRs" and track them there.
Distance - time - date - event (if applicable)

...but the PR is for a distance. If you run a distance faster than you ever have, regardless of when it happens, that is your personal record for that distance. A race just gives you an opportunity to put your efforts up against others. The beauty of a PERSONAL record is that it can happen whenever.

I get what you are saying... I just save "official" PRs for races. My route distances might vary from an official distance, for one thing. I keep personal records for my usual training routes.

As for a split distance within a longer race... that just doesn't feel right to me. I am not confident that races are as careful with the distances when they are measuring out splits. I certainly don't trust my GPS watch to tell when when I ran the stated split distance - it always varies from the official race distance.
And, for example, for a 5k split within a 10k or longer race, you might have a 5k distance that is all downhill or whatever - when designing an actual 5k race course that doesn't tend to happen. Plus I need a little time to warm up and get into rhythym - which might happen in the first 1k of a 10k so that I end up with a faster 5k split than I have run in an actual 5k race... It is probably just my own quirk but I like to have official races as my PRs. I will always know if I have run faster, of course - whether in a training run or whatever.

"I got a new PR!!"
"cool man, so that's the fastest you've ever run 5k?"
"well, no, I ran it faster during training one time... and that one time when I had a pretty quick split during a 10k race."
"...so it's not your PR?"

that's the conversation I envision.

"I got a new PR!!"
"cool man, so that's the fastest you've ever run 5k?"
"well, no, I ran it faster during training one time... and that one time when I had a pretty quick split during a 10k race."
"...so it's not your PR?"

that's the conversation I envision.

You see I wouldn't have that conversation because I would never mention a training run as a PR and I don't think I have ever known how fast I ran a split during a longer race...

I don't keep PRs for "5k" or "10k" - I keep PRs for "a 5k" or "a 10k".

i guess this thread is the best place to put this but put in a deposit on Saturday to go to Africa in October and climb Kilimanjaro

commence ultimate :willynilly:

i guess this thread is the best place to put this but put in a deposit on Saturday to go to Africa in October and climb Kilimanjaro

commence ultimate :willynilly:

:rock:

That's really fucking awesome. I'm pretty jelly.

Back