• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

a) I don't have a problem, this was the plan for this year (buy/build a singlespeed) and the deal came up at a time I can reasonably take advantage of it. Once built, this is the last bike I need for a while. ACCOUNTABILITY - I'M SAYING THIS HERE AND NOW.
b) Sponsor DOES provide financial assistance for kits, but when you're trying to put together enough kit for a stage race you need at least two chamois (especially if you're a girl - bacteria is no bueno), two jerseys are just good to have, and then a vest, arm warmers, and socks. All of a sudden you're looking at a few hundo.

a) I don't have a problem, this was the plan for this year (buy/build a singlespeed) and the deal came up at a time I can reasonably take advantage of it. Once built, this is the last bike I need for a while. ACCOUNTABILITY - I'M SAYING THIS HERE AND NOW.
b) Sponsor DOES provide financial assistance for kits, but when you're trying to put together enough kit for a stage race you need at least two chamois (especially if you're a girl - bacteria is no bueno), two jerseys are just good to have, and then a vest, arm warmers, and socks. All of a sudden you're looking at a few hundo.

Save this post for when you buy your 2018 bike.

The first step is recognizing you have a problem.

Admittedly, if I weren't married, I'd have more bikes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a) I don't have a problem, this was the plan for this year (buy/build a singlespeed) and the deal came up at a time I can reasonably take advantage of it. Once built, this is the last bike I need for a while. ACCOUNTABILITY

I love the color of your new bike...very nice. I laughed when I read your post because I'm trying to wrap up a crazy cycling spending spree spurred on by my VW Diesel Settlement Check. Logically that money would gone into the car budget; instead it covered the cost of an upgrade to SRAM eTap on my climbing bike. The good news is that I installed it on using my old Cannondale Hollowgram crank and it works like magic. That saved me about $600 (...I know, you could question the word "saved"). Next, I applied my "savings" to a pair of barely used Zipp 303's to replace a set of Reynolds 32 Tubulars that I'm going to sell. I love the tubulars but I feel like I've pushed my luck far enough.

Now for the worst part, my climbing bike is sort of my back-up. My primary bike is a Scott Foil that I upgraded to eTap last year. Luckily the frame is brand spanking new as Scott replaced my last one that cracked. When you add all this up it gets a little crazy!

Congrats on your new bike!

been fighting some runner's knee the past week or so. likely caused by some worn out shoes, those have been replaced, and ordered another pair to replace my others. made it through back to back 15 milers this weekend, although yesterday was aided by some ibuprofen before heading out. annoying to say the least, but manageable thus far. about a month away from the HAT 50K, good times.

I need some advice to give my daughter - she is just starting to try and run a little more distance. We are doing the Charleston Bridge run (10k) April 1. She is up to running 3.5-4 miles now but her shins are killing her. They hurt when she gets to about a mile and keep hurting the whole time - very painful. And they continue hurting after she stops. It is worse when she runs outside as opposed to the treadmill and it hurts worse running uphill. Is it something about the way she runs? She has decent running shoes - but maybe she needs a different kind? I don't know what to tell her and am afraid it is going to make her stop training.
This happened to her the only other time she tried to ramp up her distance as well...

I hope the shoes make your knee feel better, Hawk. I have a new pair waiting but haven't started rotating them in yet. Keep thinking about it when it's a long run or a race or raining, and I want to give them a relaxed dry first run. It's just a different color of the exact shoes I've been wearing though, so shouldn't really need a test.

This weekend I ran the Charlotte 10 Miler, which marked 96 months in a row (8 years) of running a race every month. Still trying to decide if I should keep the streak going past June/100 races.

I need some advice to give my daughter - she is just starting to try and run a little more distance. We are doing the Charleston Bridge run (10k) April 1. She is up to running 3.5-4 miles now but her shins are killing her. They hurt when she gets to about a mile and keep hurting the whole time - very painful. And they continue hurting after she stops. It is worse when she runs outside as opposed to the treadmill and it hurts worse running uphill. Is it something about the way she runs? She has decent running shoes - but maybe she needs a different kind? I don't know what to tell her and am afraid it is going to make her stop training.
This happened to her the only other time she tried to ramp up her distance as well...

I get shin splits when I'm wearing the wrong shoes or too old of shoes. Did she get her shoes fit at a running store? Sounds like they aren't the right ones for her. Are there any flat dirt trails she could run on instead of asphalt/concrete? (like the Tobacco Trail, assuming she is in Cary with you.) Something a bit softer while her shins heal up.

Anyone here pining for an old (barely used) set of Kinvara 4's? Men's 12.5, red. Got them, stopped running, then bought a new pair to get started again. They probably have ~ 25 miles on them.

There are some stretches that she can do as well. #notanexpert but I found that walking around on my heels for a while before I run helps to loosen up my shins.

I would check with a running store about shoes soon though.

Is that a $40 off code? Pretty legit. May pick up some shoes, even though I won't need a pair for another 100 miles or so.

Dang, nothing in my size / style. :(

Altra's in-between seasons in my Impulse right now.

The Official OGBoards Running (and Swimming and Cycling) Thread: WINTER IS COMING

I think I asked this a couple years ago but I'm back because I hope to actually do it this time. Now that I have my old RockHopper, I can make my Vitus into a weekend bike with clips and all that jazz. Plus switch the wide double platforms on that one back to the Specialized since they're better for commuting than the original pedals on there now.

What set of used pedals should I look for? I've seen Shimano 600 and 105 mentioned elsewhere as useful/work with many shoes. You guys are the experts, though.

I should add that my buddy is willing to sell me a lightly used set of Eggbeater 3s as well.

Last edited:
shimano 105s are going to be straight road pedals and the style cleat they require will pretty much only fit on road-specific shoes (smooth, no tread on the bottom). The eggbeaters or another SPD-style pedal will give you more versatility in the shoes you wear, because the cleat is more universally accepted onto cycling shoes.

Back