• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

The <3 at the bottom?

You need a new bike like you need a hole in the head. ;)

The <3 at the bottom?

You need a new bike like you need a hole in the head. ;)

Yes - I think it scrolls along the side as you read, too.

And this bike would replace one of my current bikes... in a much swankier way.

ran the HAT 50K in northern Maryland on Saturday. It got up to 70 degrees and the heat just destroyed me. Fifth year in a row running the race my worst time by almost an hour but grinded out the tough conditions/miles and never dropped so a good mental victory there. Excited for a short break before starting to ramp up again for TransRockies

This is a weekend:
Saturday planned to ride a few hours in Pisgah and see a couple of the techy trails before Pisgah Stage Race in April. Then a crowd showed up, with a couple of pros in town, and next thing you know...
https://www.strava.com/activities/914381673

Then Sunday Love Valley Roubaix was on the way home, so what the hell right? Right. Rained it's ass off and I lost brakes 20 miles from the finish.
https://www.strava.com/activities/915728274

All in all, perfect. Except Love Valley. What a shit hole.

This is a weekend:
Saturday planned to ride a few hours in Pisgah and see a couple of the techy trails before Pisgah Stage Race in April. Then a crowd showed up, with a couple of pros in town, and next thing you know...
https://www.strava.com/activities/914381673

Then Sunday Love Valley Roubaix was on the way home, so what the hell right? Right. Rained it's ass off and I lost brakes 20 miles from the finish.
https://www.strava.com/activities/915728274

All in all, perfect. Except Love Valley. What a shit hole.

awesome.

related: I lost my garmin, which is very sad for me. i've been without data all spring... and if a ride doesn't make it onto strava, did it really happen?

awesome.

related: I lost my garmin, which is very sad for me. i've been without data all spring... and if a ride doesn't make it onto strava, did it really happen?

Ha! I think some of the best rides I've ever had "didn't happen" because no Strava/GPS. Riding unplugged can be nice.

That said, I have on old Garmin watch that you can have if you want it.

Ha! I think some of the best rides I've ever had "didn't happen" because no Strava/GPS. Riding unplugged can be nice.

That said, I have on old Garmin watch that you can have if you want it.

Yeah, thanks - I appreciate the offer but I have one, too. I have my old triathlon watch that I can use, but I just appreciate having the screen out in front of me.

Maybe a long shot, but anyone ever run this marathon?

Was planning to do either Columbus or Lehigh Valley this year but have scheduling conflicts with both. This one looks really cool, but I'd probably have to sign up right away to get a spot secured. Anybody have any experience with it?

Yiiiikes. First road race of the season was Saturday; it was hard. I'm in a new category and a few pro ladies showed up to race, which affected the dynamics of my field bigly (big league?). 48mi race, 4000' elevation over three big climbs. First climb split the field (thanks pros), and then there was a big descent into a MASSIVE headwind (race was out in the gorge) which necessitated actually working pretty hard to travel down hill. Lame. Then it was a 5mi climb (2mi of which is gravel) back to a connector road to bring you back to the descent, so you could do the long descent and long climb again. The wind was so strong on that connector road - multiple people were blown off the road, but thankfully kept it rubber side down, and one of the pro women was actually had her bike blown out from under her. Lots of road rash there. No fun. My whole body hurts in ways I didn't know it could; I used so many back muscles just trying to man-handle my bike in the wind. Still good times, I did better than I thought I would in the P/1/2/3 field, and happy to have ripped the bandaid off for the 2017 season.

in far less badass news i took 2nd in my age group in a 5k this weekend

awwwww yeah. I'm assuming there were more than 2 people in your AG ;)

To your previous question - nope, haven't done that one nor do I know anyone who has.

i got 8th overall out of like 2000+ running it

would have won the age group by like three minutes if i were 4 months older

Foothills put on a new half marathon in Winston this weekend and it's like they tried to make it as difficult as possible in terms of elevation. I also may have over-estimated how much residual fitness I had left from my marathon a month ago... didn't run a whole bunch in March: 81 miles total which includes that marathon. It was so tough. But my poor barely sub-2 performance was still good enough for 3rd of 23 in my age group. For those familiar with running in Winston, it went up Brookstown hill at mile ~12.5. OOOF. Props to iodeac for running a great race there!

Congrats to townie and leebs for solid races this weekend too.

I had a blast at the same race, I was able to knock about four minutes off of my time from Columbia a few weeks ago, and that was even with taking a wrong turn that cost me a few minutes. I agree with RTQ that the course was really hilly, but I'd rather run hills than a flat course any day.

I was also really impressed with the post race spread, I've seen ultras with less food. There were about five guest breweries in addition to Foothills, and your race bib allowed you one beer from Foothills and one guest beer, you could also grab a brat with another ticket from your bib. The race was well worth the price, especially considering the awesome bottle opener medal, tshirt and really nice pint glass.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great race weekend. I ran the Monument Avenue 10K. Everything was perfect except for me.

I had hopes of a sub 45:00 time, but pulled a muscle in my chest last week by coughing. It made breathing very tight at around the 3.5mi time. Finished with a 46:21, which is good, but not the best I can do.

Gotta get healthy for the Brewfest Half coming up next month.

Back